Tiffany and Mark : Day After

Photography

Beauty in Ashes.

There’s something amazing about Mark and Tiffany. They hold a special place in my heart for many reasons, but mostly because they saw something in me that I didn’t quite see in myself. After photographing Mark’s marriage proposal to Tiffany in Summer 2006, I put together a slideshow to display the images. Shortly thereafter, Tiffany booked me as her wedding photographer.

Little did they know that it was the first wedding I booked. Ever.

As we sat in the meeting, we spoke about many things, but I couldn’t shake the feelings of inadequacy and trepidation. However, Mark and Tiffany were quite the opposite. Reassurance, thick layers of creamy compliments, and an array of positive sprinkles. A confidence cupcake, if you will.

By the time their wedding rolled around the following Summer, I shot a handful of weddings and was excited to be a part of their day…mostly because they saw beauty in ashes. Potential buried in a sea of self-doubt.

As life would have it, when Mark and Tiffany made their way into the San Juan Capistrano Mission for their Day After photo session, ashes were floating everywhere from the nearby Orange County fires. The sun was red and cast an inordinately warm glow on the terracotta walls. They looked positively radiant and I felt blessed to be working with them again.

Mark and Tiffany, thank you for seeing beauty in ashes.

This shot is for Tiffany. She combed over endless stacks of bridal magazines and came across this pose. She wanted to recreate the shot with her and Mark…I hope it did it justice! 🙂
On a sidenote, if you’re a bride and you’re reading this, don’t be afraid to take ownership in the photoshoot…I LOVE when clients proffer ideas and come ready to work it for the camera! I value taking time to educate my clients and encourage them to help me make the session everything they want it to be and more!

To see more of their Day After Session, CLICK HERE for a slideshow to one of my and Tiffany’s favorite songs!!

comments

1. drago

October 26th, 2007 at 4:11 pm

stunning! simply amazing photos.

2. Donna

October 26th, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Just beautiful! You are an amazing talent!

3. michele

October 26th, 2007 at 4:25 pm

WOW!!!! ever since i stumbled upon your page, i just can’t help myself but to come back for more! your work is awesome!! could you please send me your price list for wedding packages? thank you! =)

4. alicia

October 26th, 2007 at 4:39 pm

i absolutely LOVE this location! my fiance and i went there the day after we got engaged and hoped they allowed weddings (which they don’t) and settled on keeping it as a potential site for engagement photos. jasmine – you just reassured me of the mission’s beauty! can’t wait to book you! i get giddy with each entry you post!

5. Amy

October 26th, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Jasmine- These pictures are beyond words. Honestly, anything I say wouldn’t do them justice. And the story is just the icing on the cake.

6. bianca

October 26th, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Are you totally positive you don’t want to shoot my wedding? As my twin sister I think you OWE it to me to make me look as HOT as Tiffany! Com’ on…

7. Bianca

October 26th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

PS: I think you should consider publishing a few of these images… so hot!

8. Amy Martin

October 26th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

HOT!!!

9. Michelle Moore

October 26th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

WOW Jasmine, what a gorgeous couple, and such amazing photos! This location is incredible, & the result, flawless.

Beautiful work. You continue to be such an inspiration to me 🙂

10. Jane Lok

October 26th, 2007 at 5:24 pm

"Day After" sounds much better than "Trash the Dress". =) This seems like a great option since Kevin and I don’t intend on seeing each other before the ceremony. *ducks in fear* Don’t hate us! =)

11. Tana Huffman

October 26th, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Amazing – simply amazing. I think one of your best shoots yet!

12. Brianna

October 26th, 2007 at 5:30 pm

These aren’t your clients jazzy. They are models that you hired. I’m sure of it. Stop lying to us.

13. Isabel

October 26th, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Freakin’ AMAZING! How do you get your images sooo sharp?!

14. Trista

October 26th, 2007 at 5:39 pm

these are hot!!!

15. jeanette sanchez

October 26th, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Jasmine, I visit here frequently and I am most impressed with this shoot! The location, subjects, composition and style are simply perfect!
    Excellent job!

16. Jairo

October 26th, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Jasmine, I really love your work!! Everytime I come in here I get inspired! Thanks for sharing with us 🙂 Kudos from Houston, TX!

17. Nataly

October 26th, 2007 at 5:49 pm

Jasmine, these are gorgeous! They were smart to give you a chance and I bet you they are happy they did! Their images are fabulous!

18. david baxter

October 26th, 2007 at 5:59 pm

beautiful images, beautiful couple! you continue to BLOW ME AWAY jamine*!!!

19. Raquel

October 26th, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Beautiful pictures! You’re images inspire me as I sit at my 8 to 5 corporate job and dream of the freedom and creativity that photography gives. You truly have a gift!

20. Serena

October 26th, 2007 at 6:20 pm

omg!! could they seriously be any cuter?

21. Brenda

October 26th, 2007 at 6:24 pm

***WOW*** That’s all I can say…

22. Tonya

October 26th, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Jasmine you are an inspiration to me. I sometimes feel like my confedence is slipping too. You pictures are amazing and you seem like an amazing person. Keep up the great work. I love coming to you blog every day

23. Melissa Rich

October 26th, 2007 at 6:38 pm

word up love!!! Great shots!! How fun is to do the fashion thing…especially when our clients are into it! You nailed it girly!! Seriously kick a**!

24. Kate Mefford

October 26th, 2007 at 6:52 pm

What a GORGEOUS location! GORGEOUS clients! You really worked that light, sister…very nice.

25. erika lais photo

October 26th, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Jasmine, so great again, amazing shoots in a wonderful place!!!!!! I’m so proud of myself, and I’d like to ask you you to visit my photoblog to see my first job and give your note, because you are OUR BEST TEACHER!!!!!! Kkkkk!!!! Don’t forget, leave a comment … many thanks

26. gabriel ryan

October 26th, 2007 at 7:05 pm

holy (insert explative here)! these freaking rock!!! it makes me so excited for our session together in a couple of weeks… although the location we wanted, may have burned down…

27. Jamie Delaine

October 26th, 2007 at 7:41 pm

GORGEOUS shoot Jazz!! Wow. Great location. Love her dramatic pearls and red bouquet. A Day After session is so perfect for getting shots you can’t get during the wedding! neat.

28. Tina Jean Wagner

October 26th, 2007 at 7:41 pm

Jasmine, Thank you so much for sharing that story with us! I am always inspired by you and your work. It is great to hear about how you began. (and not even that long ago) I too am starting out booking my first clients-ones that aren’t related or friends, and like you said its "hard to shake those feelings of inadequacy and trepidation" but its comforting to know that even the greatest photographers-such as yourself, started the same way, a little unsure of themselves, and with people who believed in them and took a chance. Thank you for sharing that. Your photos are beautiful but more than any photo those words are inspiring. THANK YOU!!!

29. cesar perez

October 26th, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Definitely one of my favorite sessions of yours!!! Kicks….fanny. =)

30. Tiffany

October 26th, 2007 at 7:58 pm

OMG Mark and I LOVE the pictures!!!! Mark and I had a blast taking pics with you for an hour…the mission was gorgeous and that crazy glow! Choosing pics for the album will be a task=) Once again…thanks for making us look good!!!! I loved your intro story too…we feel so priveledge to have been booked as your first clients! You’re our first & BEST photographer…woohoo! Love ya!

31. cathy

October 26th, 2007 at 8:13 pm

off the hook beautiful! Oh my Goodness! seriously. sheesh. you are so darn talented! 🙂

32. brandy j

October 26th, 2007 at 8:28 pm

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! Your work is so stunning Jasmine! I LOVE all of these.

33. kal

October 26th, 2007 at 9:13 pm

hi jasmine. i’m a first time blogger on y’ur site, but been fascinated by your work in an unstalkish kinda way…LOL. Anyway, I had to post because I recognize my fav. Pronovia dress (just ask Trista L.). Your bride looks just like one of models in the Pronovia catalogs.

34. jen harris

October 26th, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Absolutely beautiful! This is probably my favorite post of all time! Jas, your work amazes me more each time! Hugs!

35. Korey

October 26th, 2007 at 9:31 pm

This is one of my favorite sessions I think you have ever done! I love the mission, and I love the light, despite its eeriness. I think only a SoCal resident would recognize it, but you made it beautiful! And to know they were your first booked wedding?! You inspire me!

36. sally

October 26th, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Truly amazing photos. I’ll echo everyone else’s gratitude by saying how much your insights have helped me. Thanks for being an open book.

37. Jeanette

October 26th, 2007 at 11:03 pm

These shots look like they’re straight out of a high class bridal/wedding magazine!!! Simply AMAZING as always!! Have a blast tomorrow shooting Mel & Jackson’s wedding!! Can’t wait to see the beautiful pix. Ü

38. Kristin

October 26th, 2007 at 11:15 pm

No other words comesto mind but simply amazing!

39. Regina

October 26th, 2007 at 11:24 pm

WOW these makeme feel as though I am reading a romance novel…Once again you make me love your work even more.

40. Lindsey Marie

October 26th, 2007 at 11:32 pm

Truly an inspiration to see your work!
    thank you!

41. kate

October 26th, 2007 at 11:43 pm

i would love to see the slideshow of the proposal! can you link it? i am shooting one this weekend and am nervous!
    thanks jaz – amazing shots as usual!

42. Oleksandr

October 26th, 2007 at 11:48 pm

WOW!

43. Tiffany

October 27th, 2007 at 12:48 am

How much do I LOVE the slide show!!! It couldn’t have been set to a better song;) So thoughtful! I loved every picture you chose…you are so incredibly fabulous Jasmine! We are so grateful to have you capture every aspect of our lil love story…engagement, wedding, and day after!

44. Amanda

October 27th, 2007 at 12:50 am

These are just incredible… they remind me of something from a high fashion fragrance shoot or something. Gorgeous.

45. cameron Ingalls

October 27th, 2007 at 12:53 am

HOT STUFF!

46. Mallory B

October 27th, 2007 at 2:02 am

What song is that? I am amazed by your work Jasmine. What breathtaking pictures! I cannot wait until our engagement session!

47. Molly

October 27th, 2007 at 2:09 am

I love the Mission. Do you have to have a permit to shoot there?

48. Stacy Cross

October 27th, 2007 at 2:33 am

These pictures are truly inspiring Jas. You have arrived, girl!

49. levell

October 27th, 2007 at 2:45 am

amazing once again…

50. cassandra m

October 27th, 2007 at 3:34 am

A-MAZ-ING! This Mission is absolutely beautiful and could not have made for a better backdrop. Your sis is right, you should publish some of these. They look perfect for a modern bride magazine or any magazine for that matter. You certainly outdid yourself with these photos. Flawless…the couple is gorgeous and you captured such incredible images with them. love your stuff…you are such an inspiration!

51. Simply Modern Weddings

October 27th, 2007 at 4:53 am

I love photo #14 with her looking up at him…great ring shot. The are also a super cute couple, so that always makes a beautiful photo!

52. Lia Supatra

October 27th, 2007 at 5:18 am

Jasmine, just by visiting your blog – i can say that your work and your style is so inspiring, as always. love it! 🙂

53. Steven Kang

October 27th, 2007 at 5:22 am

Wow is about the best fit word here. You are just to awesome Jasmine.

54. Joyful Weddings & Events

October 27th, 2007 at 6:08 am

Oh my goodness! These are incredible!! Are you sure you didn’t hire them to do the shoot? Total model quality. Jas- these are absolutely gorgeous pictures. I agree- you should try to get them published.

55. Kymberli

October 27th, 2007 at 8:13 am

Jasmine! These might be my absolute favorite! These are BEAUTIFUL! It seriously looks like ads from a wedding magazine. They are absolutely flawless!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

56. karen

October 27th, 2007 at 8:23 am

stunning photo’s but have to admit they don’t look like a married couple, it looks like an advertisment for a wedding. Can’t see the love.
    Great picutures though

57. Dawn Malone

October 27th, 2007 at 8:28 am

STUNNING!

58. angel swanson

October 27th, 2007 at 9:41 am

these are soo perfect. love them!!

59. Eric

October 27th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

I’m sure I’ve seen her in a print ad somewhere….

60. Jess Strickland

October 27th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

These are INCREDIBLE, Jas! JUST STUNNING….and SOO inspirational!! 🙂

61. dawn shields

October 27th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

It is so hard to believe the same girl I met in Mexico who had just started is the same one photographing these AMAZING images! You are so talented and just a real gift to the industry.

Dawn

62. daniela

October 27th, 2007 at 3:09 pm

They are amzing! Karen is righ, they look like a magazine ad.

63. Rachel brooke

October 27th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

This last one is my favorite shot. It looks like you guys were in Tuscany! Beautiful work.

64. ksen :)

October 27th, 2007 at 5:56 pm

mizz jasmine*! what a gorgeous description & beyond gorgeous images to follow — abosolutely phenominal work!! beautiful couple…. amazing emotion & feeling throughout their images. KUDOS to you for being so terrific, full of life & knowing how to capture it in others!!!

65. Jeanine

October 27th, 2007 at 9:20 pm

I can just agree to all the people who left a comment before. These pictures are just so amazingly beautyful. Everything is prefect, the location, the couple and the view of the photographer. Thank you Jasminem you are my daily dosis of inspiration!

66. Breanne

October 27th, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Simply stunning as per usual… your work never ceases to amaze me.

67. stephanie

October 27th, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Jasmine Star…. knocks another one out of the park!! awesome job girl!

68. Crystal Goss

October 28th, 2007 at 1:43 am

OMG!!!!!

69. Sheila Buhr

October 28th, 2007 at 1:52 am

Absolutely stunning. You are a new inspiration for me!!

70. sean flanigan

October 28th, 2007 at 3:38 am

amazing

-sean

71. Scarlett Lillian

October 28th, 2007 at 3:52 am

Breathless. So gorgeous Jazz!

72. Lisa Robbins

October 28th, 2007 at 4:54 am

The beauty captured here is simply indescribable. Well Done, Jasmine.

73. Ryan Christensen

October 28th, 2007 at 6:35 am

Wow Jasmine… you are awesome! Love these images, I can’t believe your first wedding was just last year.

74. teresa

October 28th, 2007 at 6:54 am

Love these photos! who sings that song?????

75. Chanel Parrott

October 28th, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Jasmine….wow absolutely amazing! The location was incrediable and the couple just beautiful! You have an amazing eye and an awesome way of writing as well!
    You blow me away girl!

76. Donna

October 28th, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Wow Jasmine! Great work. A little more pages of Vogue-ish. Watching ANTM is affecting your work. It’s great. So… Was it a conscious choice or is it part of the natural progression that is art? ; )

77. erika lais photo design

October 28th, 2007 at 8:15 pm

I’ve seem the slideshow just now, amazing … i loved the song too …is it from Surfjan Stevens???

78. erikalais photodesign

October 28th, 2007 at 8:20 pm

79. abraham

October 28th, 2007 at 8:48 pm

you really stepped it up a notch jasmine! this post is b e a u t i f u l ! great work, keep it up!

80. Brian Khang

October 28th, 2007 at 11:50 pm

You always find the cool locations for these shoots.. I need to venture out in CA more. Awesome job!

81. Jennifer

October 29th, 2007 at 1:33 am

YOU blow me AWAY! Good grief. These are stinkin’ AMAZING! Love this quote from you, "I couldn’t shake the feelings of inadequacy and trepidation." Ha…I know that oh too well! But you proof to be brilliant! Thank you for all you do and contribute to all of us who strive to grow. You are such a blessing and inspiration.

82. Terisa Fuller

October 29th, 2007 at 2:07 am

Oh! What Beautiful work? I am an amateur photographer and would love to know how you get the best pictures. I also love the song on your website. Who is the singer or group? Love to hear from you. Thanks! — Florida

83. sarahkchen

October 29th, 2007 at 3:19 am

your work is so beautiful and so inspirational!

84. erikalaisphoto

October 29th, 2007 at 1:55 pm

Hi J*, I have a suggestion to you: I think you must show the credits for the songs that you use in yours slideshow, at the end of them, because the songs are one more beautiful that the ones, and so in this way, we can know who is the song for, and we don’t disturb you asking it very time … hope you get it!!! You are a STAR!!!!

85. Jasmine*

October 29th, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Hi Erika! Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, if the song credit is not included in the slideshow it’s because I may not have the appropriate credit information. I often ask my friends to burn me music, so my library contains A TON of titleless and artistless songs. Sorry! This song, however, is called You&Me by the Wannadies…and I found this out by looking up Mark and Tiffany’s wedding itinerary as it was their Grand Entrance song. Sorry it took me so long! 🙂

86. Melissa Koehler

October 29th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

These are amazing Jasmine! I love the location you shot at!

87. Jolene

October 29th, 2007 at 6:10 pm

you have got to be kidding me with how amazing these pictures are….seriously….they are like the pages of a wedding magazine…I think your best yet. STUNNING!!!

88. erikalaisphotodesign

October 29th, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Thanks J* for your answer …

89. Heather

October 30th, 2007 at 1:18 am

These are amazing- amazing! They are so hot. I think these are some of the best I’ve seen on this site! So excited for Friday!

90. sandra

October 30th, 2007 at 1:21 am

WOW, Wow and WOW – amazing photos. I just found your blog tonight and I will definately be back to take another look.

91. nicole green

October 30th, 2007 at 1:55 am

you seriously blow every other photographer out of the water 🙂

92. Lizeth

October 30th, 2007 at 3:57 am

As soon as I saw the picture of Tiffany and Mark kissing underneath the pier when I was at their wedding, I told my boyfriend that this was going to be our photographer. Now all I have to do is wait for the question 🙂 You are amazing. Every single picture I’ve seen of Tiffany and Mark’s wedding, engagement, day after is breathtaking. Save the date for me Jasmine! 🙂

93. Jan Garcia

October 30th, 2007 at 8:03 am

Whoa! Now that’s what I call a portrait session! Awesome.

94. stephanie

October 30th, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Hi Jasmine, this is Stephanie from Texas and I have a question… on image #7 what were your settings on and did you use available light and reflector or us some sort of softbox lighting. Girl you are awesome and your spirit is incredible. thank you for always sharing with us

95. Ron Dawson

October 30th, 2007 at 9:23 pm

Hi Jazz. I don’t comment often, but every now and then I just have to chime in. Wow! These shots are ready for the cover of a magazine. Hot! I still can’t believe you’ve only been doing this for less than a couple of years. Keep up the great work.

96. Jennifer Elaine

October 31st, 2007 at 12:51 am

The picture looking down on them in the stairway is awesome!

97. Jasmine*

October 31st, 2007 at 1:04 am

Hi Stephanie! I don’t really remember my settings off the top of my head, but I can say I wasn’t using a reflector. I try to always find light-colored walls to act as natural reflectors. The sun was shining in and bouncing off the walls, so it was so lovely! 🙂

98. Donna

October 31st, 2007 at 1:11 am

wow…these are beautiful! I am sure you hear this all the time but you have such a natural talent…and you radiate such a love for what you do-Congratulations!

99. millie holloman

October 31st, 2007 at 1:26 am

You totally nailed this one Jasmine! Great stuff here…

100. stephanie

October 31st, 2007 at 2:01 am

Jasmine, again thank you for your incredible generosity in sharing info with us, I know that God has and will bless you abundantly for what you give away and do, and I can definitely say that He has given you an amazing gift and you have such an anointing. stephanie

101. Amanda Key

October 31st, 2007 at 3:16 am

WOW! This shoot is amazing! They are beautiful.

102. James Day

November 1st, 2007 at 2:10 am

Some of my favourite photos you’ve taken Jasmine!
    JD

103. David

November 1st, 2007 at 3:53 am

I know you don’t need any more praise, but this is the best wedding/post wedding shoot I have ever seen. Ever.
    Wow! The atmosphere, the styling, the posing, the couple. . . absolutely perfect.

It’s one of those sessions that makes me want to put down the camera because I feel like I will never be gifted enough to see like you. But "beauty in ashes" right?:)

104. sara from whitebox

November 1st, 2007 at 4:32 pm

stunning! what a great location. you are a supastar!

105. Auntie Zaida

November 2nd, 2007 at 12:01 am

You both look amazing and what beautiful pictures. A life time of tresures have been sealed. Love, Aunt Zaida

106. Suzanne from Austin

November 2nd, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Absolutely Fantastic. I have been searching A LOT of weddings lately as I have been thinking of writing my own vowes with the camera… And I have to say these are incredible shots, great subjects, and perfect place. You really captured the mood and if you could do this for all your clients you should get wedding photographer of the year and be on Bride Magazine!!!! NO Doubt.

107. James Christianson

November 5th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Jasmine,
    these images are such iconic images. it is images like this that can completely define or re-define a photographer…amazing.

108. melissa

November 7th, 2007 at 9:47 pm

jas- these are absolutely stunning. you are so gifted and i am just blown away by these. you are amazing.

109. sandra magalhaes

January 18th, 2008 at 8:18 am

Absolutely beautiful and incredibly inspiring photography!

110. sandra magalhaes

January 18th, 2008 at 8:19 am

Your pictures are incredibly crisp as well. what lens do you use mostly for weddings?

111. sandra magalhaes (south africa)

January 18th, 2008 at 9:39 am

i am passionate about wedding and photography. i am still a novice though but i look at these and think maybe one day i will be this talented. i just can’t stop coming aback to these.
    do you do alot of post editing?

112. Cathy

January 19th, 2008 at 12:24 pm

OMG these are FABULOUS! Not just because of the gorgeous subjects, or the stunning location but because of the amazing talent that you are.

113. Michelle

January 27th, 2008 at 5:28 am

Simply stunning. My favorite couple, but I may be a little biased 🙂 This has so completely captured Mark and Tiffany’s amazing journey together. The brassy copper colors offsetting the white, red, and black of the couple’s clothing against the exposed brick and glowing orange light is a timeless tribute to their love for each other. Your work is amazing.

114. ashley o

February 4th, 2008 at 1:24 am

this looks like it was a shoot for a bridal magazine. what fabulous shots! and only with a year of wedding photography experience? i’m impressed

115. Zena

February 22nd, 2008 at 2:47 pm

You are so talented. The composition of these photos are stellar!

116. Yvette Villareal

May 6th, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I’m so loving this shoot!!!!! You are by far truly blessed with a great talent… <3

117. dawn dougherty

June 28th, 2009 at 6:17 am

This is one of my favorite shoots! Gorgeous photos girl!

118. kay english

July 29th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Wow!!! is all I can say! Every one of these pictures is completely AMAZING! The poses are the best too. They’re so natural and not forced. How did you come up with them?

119. Susan Fong

September 24th, 2012 at 3:18 am

Stunning and breathtaking. Just beautiful!