Top Ten Tips for Second Shooting

Photography

On our way to this past weekend’s wedding in San Diego, JD and I had a great opportunity to talk about anything and everything. I asked if he liked my trimmed bangs (yes)…what he wanted for lunch (pizza)…and who his favorite wife was (me). We then started talking about second photographers at weddings and the important role they play. I make no qualms admitting I have the best second shooter in the world (nay, the UNIVERSE), but he told me he often gets asked for advice for second shooting. I found this hilarious. He just stared blankly back at me. Apparently, he was serious. Over pizza in Mission Beach, I asked him what his Top Ten List for Second Shooters would be and I was impressed with his responses, so I decided to have him guest blog today. Holllllla!

Here’s his Top Ten list of advice for second shooters on a wedding day…just without the pepperoni falling off the slice and getting in our way of conversation…

10. Dress Appropriately
Don’t be afraid to ask the main photographer what to wear on the wedding day. Some weddings are casual, others more formal. The most important thing is to always be a reflection of the main photographer’s attire and blend in with guests as much as possible. I always dress according to the Three Piece Rule: Wearing a tie/jacket/pants or tie/vest/pants…and I guess a jacket/shirt/pants works as well, but Jasmine definitely prefers a tie!
9. Same Day Slideshow
If the main photographer creates a same-day slideshow to display at the reception, make sure and find a nearby work station (i.e. chair and outlet). I usually find a place just outside of the reception so we can hear what’s going on and be easily accessible.
8. Gather the Family
It’s so important to help the main photographer during family formal photos. There’s a really short amount of time to execute the photos, so be sure to find grandma and Uncle Kevin (who’s usually at the bar) so the entire group isn’t waiting for one person.
7. Taking Care of Vendors
During a wedding day, I usually don’t have time to cultivate friendships, but I always make sure to include every vendor throughout the day. If they need anything, I offer assistance. If the vendor dinner is served, I try to make sure everyone knows. It’s small things that ensure everyone feels like we’re on the same team…and there’s a high probability we’ll work together again in the future, so make sure to have everyone’s back.
6. Offer to Carry Bags
I’m kinda particular about this because it reminds me of my role as a second shooter…to make life easier for the main shooter. I’m not saying every second photographer MUST carry the bags, but it’s nice to offer. I always carry and maintain the main photo bag on wedding days and I know Jasmine appreciates it.
5. Get Water
Here in Southern California, peak wedding season is during the hottest time of the year, so keeping ourselves hydrated is very important. I always make sure Jasmine has a cold glass of water waiting for her: 1. Before the ceremony; 2. After the ceremony; and 3. After cocktail hour. Usually these are the hottest (and most stressful) times outdoors because there’s so much juggling going on for her. Every time she finishes her glass, she’s recharged (and in a better mood!).
4. Smile
Jasmine usually has to remind me of this one…and when she does, I usually give her a sarcastic smile. In all honesty, I know she’s right. Jasmine reminds me that guests are looking at us even when we don’t realize it and we’re a reflection of the bride’s desire of have us document her dream day. If we look hot, unhappy, tired, or annoyed, it’ll be a poor reflection on our brand. I’ll admit is sometimes hard to smile after hearing We Are Family…I’ve got all my sisters with me! for the thousandth time that month, but I then smile knowing Jasmine’s probably off dancing with the DJ! (just kidding…i had to throw this in here!)
3. Find New Angles
Don’t shoot over the main photographer’s shoulder! When I first started shooting with Jasmine, I shot behind her and captured–basically–the same photo as she did. Okay, just not as cool. She finally explained that she didn’t need another version of her photo…she needs an entirely photo of the same moment. I’ll admit this is harder than it seems, but I know she appreciates creativity and a different photo from the exact same moment.
2. NEVER PASS OUT YOUR BUSINESS CARD
One of the first weddings we photographed together, we had another photographer tag along with us. The night was flowing nicely until I overheard the third shooter pass his/her business card to a wedding guest…and passed his/her studio name along. I can’t explain how rude this is. On a wedding day, a second and third photographer is just that…an accompanying photographer to the main photographer’s studio. If a guest asks for a business card from a second shooter (which happens often!), the second shooter should always pass along the main photographer’s business card. Period. The end.
1. Leave Ego at the Door
This one doesn’t need much of an explanation as it’s more a rule for life in general. Just remember, as a second shooter, your number one goal is to shoot the best you can and make the main photographer’s life easier…even if it means missing the best photo opportunities at the wedding. Yes, everyone prefers to shoot the bride getting ready, the bride and groom portraits, and getting the First Kiss standing in the center of the aisle. But chances are, it ain’t gonna be like that. So own what you got and make it work. In the words of my main photographer and mentor, “Just be FABULOUS!” πŸ˜‰

comments

1. joan.solitario

August 31st, 2009 at 2:08 pm

wow! thanks for sharing jd! ;o)

2. Linda Tamarpirat

August 31st, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I 2nd shoot a lot and this really helps remind me how important my job is to my main photographer.

3. Melissa

August 31st, 2009 at 2:25 pm

And FABULOUS you both are!

Great tips, JD!

4. Shannon

August 31st, 2009 at 2:27 pm

That is so great. My husband is my second shooter as well! And he is DA BOMB! He is always thinking outside the box. I read through the list and giggled at everything because he shines in them all. BUT I will let him read them anyways.
    We just shot a wedding in S.D. as well, but we are in the Bay Area. LOOOFFF (meant to be read with a long German accent) your stuff!
    πŸ˜‰

5. Jessica Shae

August 31st, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Awesome!!!!
    This is so SO helpful, and it was so much fun to hear from JD πŸ™‚

Thank you Jasmine!

6. jamie delaine

August 31st, 2009 at 2:41 pm

ADORABLE. Gosh, I love you two a lot. πŸ™‚

7. Melanie

August 31st, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Timely blog. Great advice!

8. Mary Marantz

August 31st, 2009 at 2:44 pm

#4 is maybe some of the best advice I’ve heard. EVER!! So true! All of them are awesome! Oh wait, but so are you guys so it makes sense! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

9. Marieke Elias

August 31st, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Ohh, i love this. My husband is my second shooter as well, so i will drag him in front of the computer tonight!!!

10. Marissa Rodriguez

August 31st, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Great post! I was just thinking the other day that JD hadn’t guest blogged in a while πŸ™‚ I’ll be sure to send this link to my husband, awesome tips!

11. Ceci

August 31st, 2009 at 2:57 pm

GREAT advice! It’s amazing how many "wedding" photographers I’ve seen who don’t do half of the things on your list! #10 drives me nuts – I’ve seen photographers in shorts/tee/sneakers before! They stick out like a sore thumb, and not to mention disrespecting the occasion.

12. Edward Maurer

August 31st, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Here’s one more to add to the list (or supplement number 3) Make sure you are aware of the direction the primary shooter is photographing and stay out of their shot. I try to do this as a second shooter because i know it’s not about the fabulous second shooter, it’s about the bride and groom

13. Christa

August 31st, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Great tips!

14. JulieLim

August 31st, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Can’t thank you guys enough for this priceless advice! I’m really wanting to try 2nd shooting but really didnt know where to start or who to ask but thanks for saving my butt with these tips!

15. Judie

August 31st, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I was just asked to second shoot my first wedding in December so this came at a perfect time. This is great advice!!

16. Eddie Sanchez

August 31st, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for this wonderful advice! I have never second shot before, but if I ever do, I know what to expect! I love you guys!

Take Care!

17. Melissa (melissa brandman photography)

August 31st, 2009 at 3:17 pm

LOVE this! Thanks so much JD – I am second shooting a wedding in September and these tips were great!

18. arielle joy

August 31st, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Thanks for all the great tips JD!!

19. Otto Rascon

August 31st, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I appreciate this list so much. I really enjoy second shooting and I am glad that you took the time to create this list. I will read it and pass it along to all I know. Rock it out!!!

20. Tasha Prescott

August 31st, 2009 at 3:37 pm

My other half is my 2nd shooter as well. We had another photographer with us on this past weekend’s wedding (30 in bridal party, eek!) and I felt he overstepped at times. I addressed it afterwards, but I will definitely take what you said into consideration into my CONTRACT for other shooters. I didn’t like someone trying to OUTSPEAK me with MY clients… I never had experienced this since my 2nd is always my honey… Interesting weekend. Thanks JD!

21. Shang

August 31st, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Awesome post as usual! I’m going to share this with others =)

22. Christina Gressianu

August 31st, 2009 at 3:44 pm

What a great post! I’m always impressed with your blog post topics. They’re so creative and so obvious at the same time. How do you always know!? Thank you!

23. Kristin Partin

August 31st, 2009 at 3:44 pm

excellent advise. its cool to get some pointers from a second shooters perspective. sometimes i forget the importance of answers to questions like this. thanks for the post!

24. Andrea Mariño

August 31st, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Great tips JD!
    Uhmm.. I have a question, how do you make it work, you know.. knowing you’re not the main photographer?
    I would love to have a SECOND photographer, buT, all my possible candidates may be feeling like they’re not that value as to get the main credits on the wedding shoot!
    Any advice to look up for someone who won’t feel bad because I’m the main photographer and not him/her ?

25. Nicole Glenn

August 31st, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Look at JD telling it like it is! Thanks JD, this is invaluable! Period. The end. πŸ™‚

26. Nelly Soares

August 31st, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Love this, you both must make the perfect team!

27. Kimberlee

August 31st, 2009 at 3:54 pm

just have to put the disclaimer out there – that I was not the crazy person who handed out their own biz card while @ a wedding w/ you. (who DOES that?!) πŸ˜‰ Seriously though, I love shooting w/ you, J* & JD… AND, I must say that the way you 2 work together is nothing short of amazing. It is always a pleasure and an honor to 3rd-shoot w/ you, and to watch you both in all of your awesomeness. JD really is the best second shooter ever. And J*, you are, of course, ultra-fab in all that you do. I am so thankful to be called a colleague and friend. xoxo, Kimee

28. Catie Ronquillo

August 31st, 2009 at 3:54 pm

You guys make such a cute and witty tag team. Where did you go for pizza in Mission Beach, my old stomping grounds?! πŸ™‚ I miss SoCal weather! It’s hot in TX.

29. Grant Oakes

August 31st, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Great advice JD

30. Gloria McCune

August 31st, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Great advice JD!!! It is no surprise that all the images you both take look so perfect, and that is a sign of a good team!

31. Diandra

August 31st, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Awesome! And a couple of those I hadn’t even thought of!

PS… if JD is ever sick… πŸ™‚ (Wait… I am SOOO not wishing sickness on JD… )

32. Melanie Schall

August 31st, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Wow! This is great advice JD! I was offered a spot to second shoot and this is great information to know for that day. Thanks so much for sharing.

33. jeramy

August 31st, 2009 at 4:03 pm

good stuff dude. i’m brushing up on my 2nd shooter skills. πŸ™‚ good tips!

34. Cait

August 31st, 2009 at 4:04 pm

So helpful JD. Thanks for all the great reminders, especially the "as second shooter, your number one goal is to shoot the best you can and make the main photographer’s life easier…even if it means missing the best photo opportunities at the wedding" part.

35. Tira J

August 31st, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Great advice JD! Sounds like I have David trained well! ha ha! One thing that you didn’t mention is second shooters and their images. I know it is different for a lot of us because we are husband and wife teams, but there are certain rules that apply when you have a non-spouse shooting with you. I remember vaguely that Jasmine mentioned this last year or maybe earlier. What are your thoughts on that. Oh, and camera settings, etc. πŸ™‚ You are fabulous and it was great to see you both last week at the OC Smug. πŸ™‚

36. Rick Fernandez

August 31st, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Great advice and totally on point. I’ve already forwarded the link to my second shooters. Thanks!

37. Katherine Bowman

August 31st, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Wonderful advice!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

38. Megan Beth

August 31st, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Wait…so Jasmine dances with the DJ too? πŸ˜‰

39. Anouschka

August 31st, 2009 at 4:36 pm

My hubby has recently started to second shoot for me so this could not have come at a better time! I’ll pass this info along to him. Many thanks JD (and Jasmine ofcourse πŸ™‚ )

40. DJ

August 31st, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Where is "Be Sexy"

41. Brian Khang

August 31st, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Thanks for educating the masses! I often hear, oh well that’s common sense.. and I always reply.. you’d be surprised!

42. Bartek Witek

August 31st, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for sharing. Having someone like JD who understand all this is a blessing. All the best for both of you.

43. Larry

August 31st, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Great advice! Thanks for sharing this.

44. Becky

August 31st, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Fantastic tips, JD! You are definitely a contentious second shooter (and husband). As Jasmine readily admits, she’s lucky to have you! πŸ™‚

45. Mapuana

August 31st, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Jasmine… you are so lucky JD is your 2nd shooter. Great advice JD!

46. Brian Fletcher

August 31st, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Awesome, awesome tips – I’m about to start SS’ing in the next couple months (hopefully), and this is great advice. Thanks JD and Jasmine!

47. Bobbie Brown

August 31st, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Fantastic advice JD! Jasmine is a lucky girl to have you… and I think she knows it too!

48. Stephanie Castillo

August 31st, 2009 at 5:51 pm

LOVE that your Hubby posted this! I just shot my second wedding last weekend and my Husband, Mickey, was my second shooter (or as I call him my "second shooter in comand πŸ˜‰ and actually did an amazing job!! He was the best I could ask for, everything listed above and you know, I think it makes it even easier on me because he IS my Husband which made it even that more comfortable πŸ™‚ Anyway- thanks for the post! I am an avid fan of yours J*! You’re an awesome down-to-earth person and I adore you, your Hubby AND your work πŸ™‚

49. ohana photographers

August 31st, 2009 at 5:51 pm

jd, you forgot to add foot rubs at the end of the day πŸ˜‰ my wife may be reading . can’t blame a guy for trying. πŸ™‚

50. dorelies

August 31st, 2009 at 5:52 pm

your tipps are great – and I think you are abslutly right.
    There is just one point: I’m photographing with my husband and he is my second shooter – and for me he is the best SS in the universe!!!!
    love your posts!!
    greatings from vienna

51. Patricia Reiser

August 31st, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Great article. Any tips on how to become a second shooter?

52. Brad Peters

August 31st, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Awesome advice! Now the kicker … how would you recommend going about getting that FIRST job as as second shooter? Is it appropriate to just walk up to a seasoned pro and offer?

53. Matthias Vohwinkel

August 31st, 2009 at 5:55 pm

JD,

great advice – especially about not promoting oneself πŸ™‚

54. Brad Peters

August 31st, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Ok, what the hey, I’ll just ask!

Anyone in So Cal looking for a second shooter?

55. K

August 31st, 2009 at 6:02 pm

What a great post!

56. Kathleen North

August 31st, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Thanks JD! As a main and second photographer, it is nice to hear some good standards span the country!

57. Bong

August 31st, 2009 at 6:13 pm

This is very good info for second shooters! During few times I’ve been a second/third shooter, I ask the main photographer to hand me a few of his/her business cards so when guests ask, then I have main photographer’s info to give out.

58. Chris Boglio

August 31st, 2009 at 6:21 pm

JD 4 PRESIDENT!!! Great post JD. Keep up the awesome work.

59. oneshotbeyond

August 31st, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I liked reading this one-A LOT!

60. Stephanie Stewart

August 31st, 2009 at 6:32 pm

What a great post, such perfect and real tips! Thank you!

61. Libertad

August 31st, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I had to delurk to say: GREAT post JD! I am going to second shoot my first wedding in a few weeks (my husband is the main shooter) and these tips are fantastic!

Love your blog Jasmine, so inspirational!

62. David Quesada

August 31st, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Thanks Jasmine/JD!, I have never second shot but when I do this will be something I will make sure happens. Thanks !!

63. Aimee

August 31st, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I LOVE YOU JD!!!! and Jasmine too of course. πŸ˜‰ You both are one power couple. =)

64. Jeff

August 31st, 2009 at 7:20 pm

From one second shooter to another, thanks for sharing the tips! Wait, I thought you were going to go off and create your own blog…maybe I wasn’t supposed to let the cat out of the bag! Ha ha.

65. Brandi

August 31st, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Great tips! I don’t think (I hope not) I have had a second shooter passing out cards at a wedding but I did have a girl help me once on a bridal session, and she was new to the biz, but she was trying to sell her services to the bride’s sister who was also engaged. I was completely shocked! It wasn’t the last faux pass I saw her make.. but what can you do?

66. amanda thiessen

August 31st, 2009 at 8:18 pm

thanks JD!!! awesome post! πŸ™‚

67. Christina Lee

August 31st, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for this post! My friend and I recently started doing some work together and plan on being second shooter for each other for some other events as well. This really sets a tone for the second shooter and helps me best help out my friend when I’m second shooting for her at an event!

Good post!

68. laurahana

August 31st, 2009 at 8:41 pm

This is VERY tweet-worthy! πŸ™‚ Happy to know that I’ve been following most of these tips already!

69. Laura Marchbanks

August 31st, 2009 at 9:11 pm

OH MAN, That business card story is a CLASSIC! I bet we could all write a book about what not to do. Great post!

70. Diana Bondurant

August 31st, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I’ve seen lots of complaining about what NOT to do as a second shooter, but this is the first well-compiled list of what you SHOULD do. Thanks so much for sharing!

71. Pol

August 31st, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Thank you! These are great tips. Hopefully I will move from being a student to a second shooter soon.

72. Lorie

August 31st, 2009 at 9:28 pm

My non-photographer husband helped me out for the first time this past weekend at a wedding. (I’m almost 7 and half months pregnant and me shooting in the 108 temp. made him nervous=) And I LOVED hearing this from JD. And I adored the pictures of him you snuck. Thanks for sharing these!

August 31st, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Great reminder, JD! I’d love to do more second shooting this coming year. It’s fun not being in charge once in awhile. πŸ™‚

74. Trude

August 31st, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Just invaluable tips! Thank you so much for doing this!!

75. Life with Kaishon

August 31st, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Absolutely brilliant advice : )
    Especially love the We are Family comment : ) So funny!

76. Savannah

August 31st, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I’ve only had the opportunity to second shoot one wedding, although I loved it, but this is really great advice!

77. Allison Joy

August 31st, 2009 at 11:13 pm

This is perfect! Thank you JD πŸ™‚ Now we all know how to be great second-shooters like you πŸ™‚
    I love seeing a husband-and-wife team shoot weddings πŸ™‚

78. Angel Canary

August 31st, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Great!! I emailed this to my hubby who is my second shooter….uh ummm… lol

79. Jessica Pressley

August 31st, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Thanks so much JD!! I loved reading this, very helpful. You guys are the best =)

80. Bobby Earle

August 31st, 2009 at 11:18 pm

That’s my boy, right there πŸ˜‰

Bobby

81. Diapers & Divas

August 31st, 2009 at 11:20 pm

These are great tips for photogs as well as life and trying to make it in a professional world. Thanks!

82. Christine

August 31st, 2009 at 11:25 pm

OMG that photo of JD!!! I LOVE IT! πŸ™‚ And what a great post, thanks so much for sharing your insights! It’s so timely, as I have been thinking about second shooting but haven’t had the courage to approach anyone. I know how you might have gotten into it (being the hubby of J*, after all), but have you any tips out there for those wanting to second shoot a wedding but are not married or close to other photographers? πŸ™‚ Thanks again! You guys are the best. πŸ™‚ (PS I ask my husband who his favorite wife is too! Zing!) πŸ˜‰

83. Carlos Bruno

September 1st, 2009 at 12:02 am

Thanks JD for sharing … but happened an situation with me that put your 2nd commandment down (at least for me): I was the 3rd one, after several months trying to break into one wedding – even for free. After the ceremony, everybody (interested) started to ask MY card, and of course I was giving 1,000 of excuses and try to let them know I was there like an "employee" and will get some of the photographer’s cards. One of the answers was: "No … , we want YOUR info. We didn’t like him. At all! His attitude and the way he is working during whole ceremony. We fell in love about you. Like you pose us, making sure everybody will look good. Getting angles that we saw he forgot … SO, we confirm what we thought: once he hired you, for sure you good enough to take pictures. But if you’re not available, we appreciate what you’re doing tonight for our cousin." … and, for being "loyal", I lost my first and – who knows – unique chance to start my wedding business.

84. Amy

September 1st, 2009 at 12:04 am

Perfect timing; thank you for that!!! I’m a second shooter for the first time ever next week!!

85. Troy Grover

September 1st, 2009 at 12:15 am

Thanks JD! Aimee’s going to love this πŸ™‚

86. andrea scott

September 1st, 2009 at 12:49 am

Great post! Thanks for the honest and straightforward answers!

87. Christine

September 1st, 2009 at 12:58 am

88. F to the Funk

September 1st, 2009 at 1:03 am

JD is cute. I vividly remember him flashing his pearly whites many-a-time at Miranda’s wedding. Love it.

89. Drea

September 1st, 2009 at 1:06 am

Great info Jasmine! I passed it onto my 2nd shooters πŸ™‚

90. Jasmine*

September 1st, 2009 at 1:24 am

@Troy: I hope Aimee doesn’t hate JD for all of this advice! πŸ˜‰ @CarlosBruno: Trust me, you did the right thing by not passing out your business card. If someone is truly interested in your work, ask them to contact the main photographer for your information. That’s the classiest and fairest route. One day, you may be in the same position as a main photographer and I doubt you’d like if you kindly let someone join your wedding, only for him/her to undermine your efforts. And don’t worry, treating others the way you want to be treated is the golden rule and it’ll pay back ten-fold. And who knows…maybe the main photographer noticed your great work too and will refer weddings to you in the future. Not one, but many. This isn’t the end, but, rather, the beginning to a great future for you. Promise. @Jeff: If JD starts his own blog, I’ll be in deep trouble! πŸ˜‰ @Brad Peters and @PatriciaReiser: Procuring your a second shooting position can be difficult first, but try to get involved with large online communities like The B School Forum and OSP Photography Forum where you can meet other photogs and become their friend online. Once you develop a friendship based on trust, they’ll be ones ASKING you to join them, and not the other way around. Make friends and find ways to help, then the offers should come your way. @Andrea: There are tons of photographers who would be honored to second shoot…it has less to do with them getting credit, and more to do with them being able to practice their art and build their portfolio. As you can see by all these comments, there are a lot of people who are excited and itching to shoot, so feel free to give someone the chance and I’m sure they’ll thank you for it! πŸ™‚

91. kim james

September 1st, 2009 at 1:27 am

Can I print this and leave for my husband? His business card is a Plumas County Sheriffs Deputy and side Business Concrete Contractor. He is also my second…I am highlighting tip number 6…Thank you so much!!!!

92. karen

September 1st, 2009 at 1:39 am

thanks so much for the tips. this will really help me a lot. more power to both of you.

93. Laura

September 1st, 2009 at 1:46 am

I was shooting a fundraiser for a hospital, and someone showed up out of nowhere and started stealing everyone for photos when I was the main photographer. Not very nice!

94. lucy

September 1st, 2009 at 1:48 am

Awesome post!!
    One of my favorites……. πŸ˜‰

95. Abigail Seymour

September 1st, 2009 at 1:51 am

These are great, thank you, JD and Jasmine!

96. JEN

September 1st, 2009 at 1:59 am

great advice JD, the second photo of you is very charming…as I’m sure you both already know πŸ˜‰

97. Steven Chellappa

September 1st, 2009 at 2:53 am

Awesome advice and much appreciated! πŸ™‚ I love reading these ;D

98. Angela Marie

September 1st, 2009 at 3:17 am

Thanks so much for sharing!! I have been the main photographer for over a year now, but finally got an opportunity recently to second shoot, and it was a different experience just sitting back and following the lead of the main photographer. My husband is also my permanent second shooter, and we both enjoyed reading JD’s advice! Thanks so much!

99. Cathy Crawley

September 1st, 2009 at 3:30 am

Great post JD!!! So many good tips here, I hope everyone reads them all! I can’t say how important numbers 1 & 2 are! I was asked for a card when I second shot for an awesome photographer, and when the couple wouldn’t take no for an answer they told me they’d ask the bride. I had to expressly ask them not to do so as I didn’t want to ruin the relationship between me and the first. It’s a fine line and needs to be tread very carefully!

100. Carmen Whittaker

September 1st, 2009 at 4:04 am

:o) You are the best!!! and that is why you are married to each other.

101. alex.kruk photography

September 1st, 2009 at 4:24 am

Great advice, I really enjoy reading them!
    alex

102. Apple

September 1st, 2009 at 4:29 am

I love itttttttt.. πŸ˜€

103. Elias Lopez Martinez

September 1st, 2009 at 4:56 am

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I’m learning from you

104. Maggie

September 1st, 2009 at 5:08 am

GREAT post, JD! Great pictures of you, too!

105. R. J. Kern

September 1st, 2009 at 5:19 am

Wonderful ideas… I’ll be taking them to heart when I second-shoot and will be sure to share them with my second-shooters as well πŸ™‚

106. andi

September 1st, 2009 at 6:42 am

thank you JD. a much needed reminder. is it possible that you are just as fabulous as j *?

107. Mindy

September 1st, 2009 at 7:11 am

Thanks for the great advice JD!!! Just an FYI, when my big day comes and if I have enough mula…I want you and Jasmine to come and shoot my wedding in HI…and when you come, you can wear an aloha shirt, pants and slippers (flip-flops)…you’ll fit right in perfectly…;)

108. Tanja

September 1st, 2009 at 7:40 am

These are some great advices..

109. Jonathan Brown

September 1st, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I love this list. I have worked with some second shooters that I wish had read this list.

Great job.

110. Krista Photography

September 1st, 2009 at 2:09 pm

These are great!

111. Dawn McCarthy

September 1st, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Great advice! This was insightful. I hope that all second shooters read this. : ) Thank you.

112. Tiffany

September 1st, 2009 at 4:26 pm

your husband is adorable!

113. Lindy

September 1st, 2009 at 5:42 pm

This is the first time ive ever taken a look at your blog and I already love it!! I am a second shooter for a photographer in southeast Texas. Thank you so much for the advice and tips you gave. Ill will def. keep these in the front of my mind at our next wedding! Thanks again!!

114. Carolyn Egerszegi

September 1st, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Thanks for the article JD. Excellent advice!

115. sarah k chen

September 1st, 2009 at 6:51 pm

all i have to say is, AMEN BROTHA!

116. SamuelLippke

September 1st, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Love this list! I’m going to pass it on to all my future 2nd shooters too.
    Especially the #2! I’ve had a 2nd do that too. It didn’t make me happy.
    Thanks JD!
    Q: Do you ever feel like Cal Naughton Jr. to Ricky Bobby? Shake & Bake.
    I always feel like him when I 2nd shoot.

117. kellyhicks

September 1st, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Thanks for this! It was really timely since I will have my first second shooter experience this friday at a wedding. I’m just getting into photography but I love it so far. It’s definitely an art. Thanks JD!

118. luke walker

September 1st, 2009 at 7:35 pm

JD I always knew you were a great husband, but man you are a great 2nd shooter as well! Ali and I don’t shoot together all that much because of having our own separate jobs. Whenever we book a destination wedding we shoot together though. "You just booked a wedding in Hawaii the 2nd week of March? What a coincidence my schedule JUST opened up!" When we shoot together I usually don’t have a large glass of water waiting for me unfortunately. In fact usually there’s a very large glass of get-off-your-ass-and-get-your-own-water waiting for me πŸ™‚ On a serious note I especially agree with both #1 and #4… they both go a long way as a walking, talking representation of the shooters brand.

119. teresa vigil

September 1st, 2009 at 8:05 pm

I think i saw you in balboa park, long brown hair. hahah. that place is a wedding zoo! great lighting though. and wonderful article. I carried bags and almost passed out thank god for the water fountain.

120. Leanne Stamatellos

September 1st, 2009 at 10:10 pm

There were so many good tips there JD but the one I never really thought about was only giving out the main shooter’s business card – this is such a good point and I’m glad I read this – thankyou!

121. Charlene

September 2nd, 2009 at 1:50 am

As a more or less permanent second shooter, it’s good to know I’ve been operating on the same 10 tips that JD has!

I think a lot of second shooters forget that they are there mainly to assist, whether as a second camera, gear carrier, water fetcher or whatever.

I’m pretty lucky in that my main shooter treats me way too well and generally never asks me to assist at all with ‘menial’ tasks unless it was absolutely necessary. But I feel it’s important to reciprocate – insist on carrying gear at appropriate moments, stepping in to hold reflectors, lights, arrange dresses, check poses etc without being asked, and yes, hang out HIS business cards when referrals are requested. A good second shooter usually is a good assistant as well because understanding how the main photog works is esential to doing one’s job well.

122. Christina Juleson

September 2nd, 2009 at 4:58 am

You two are like two peas in a pod… simply adorable! Thanks for the insight, my second shooter (husband) will appreciate this one!

123. Chris Chen

September 2nd, 2009 at 5:04 am

I also would like to add #11 to the list. Don’t be-friend my clients on Facebook through my Friend’s list.

124. naomi house

September 2nd, 2009 at 6:46 am

If ever you want to be my second shooter in Cumbria, UK- JD I would be honoured!

125. Aimee Tangeman

September 2nd, 2009 at 6:50 am

SO glad you decided to post this JD! You rock. I still think you should start a blog…

126. Alex Gardner

September 2nd, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Thumbs up. I’ve thought back to the first time I shot at a wedding as a second shooter and leaving with mixed emotions about going back.

I went back. πŸ™‚

127. Tara

September 2nd, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Awesome post. Thanks for listing out your advice JD!

128. Feuza

September 2nd, 2009 at 3:37 pm

JD posts rocks! what great advice and there are so many photographers starting out like me who have been second shooting to get more experiance…thank you

129. Parris Whittingham - New York Wedding Photographer

September 2nd, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Such a great post. Every second shooter should read this πŸ™‚

130. Jose Zepeda

September 2nd, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Awesome post !! Having the mindset of a servant is a very rewarding thing in the short & long run… Keep up the great work and the great words of wisdom… Thanks!!

131. anna

September 2nd, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I love second shooting! It’s great having a different point of view of something!

132. Kate

September 2nd, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Fantastic tips! Thanks for taking the time to share πŸ™‚

133. hannah

September 2nd, 2009 at 6:45 pm

So perfect! I’m going to second-shoot at a friend’s wedding next weekend! Great advice, thank you!

134. Heather

September 2nd, 2009 at 8:06 pm

You two have such great chemistry together it really put both of us at ease when you shot our wedding- we knew how well you worked together! Plus, you are fabulous- we were thrilled to see every photo and lots of angles. Thanks again.

135. Betsy, La Vida

September 2nd, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Great post!! What a team, what a team…

136. Yuka photo art

September 2nd, 2009 at 11:57 pm

This post is soooo helpful! Thank you guys!!!

137. Aprille

September 3rd, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I just had my first gig as a "second shooter" with a friend. I could add a bit on to this list as I learned a lot this weekend – haha! We had some confusion regarding copy right use of the photos. I will never second shoot again without a very clear understanding of the expectation! What a great time it was though and I am very proud I rocked the shots I was in charge of. I love looking here for inspiration and thank you for the tips JD!

138. Lisa

September 4th, 2009 at 2:29 am

One Two and Four. Fabulous. Two is probably the least obvious. Many beginning photographers forget all the work that has been done BEFORE the wedding to build the relationship. That it is the main photograhpers experience, marketing, contacts, time, contracts, insurance, etc. that got the the gig. It is NOT the second’s gig so ALL inquiries go to the first. If you’re a second shooter and you don’t agree, simply consider someday, when you are the first, how you much you’d like your second to book the maid of honor’s wedding while you are working with the bride and groom. Gets pretty clear, pretty fast.

139. Tracy

September 4th, 2009 at 4:29 am

I’d like to 2nd Chris Chen’s addition of the #11 to the list; but go one further……Don’t be-friend my clients on FB through my Friend’s list and then show YOUR preview ahead of mine !!

140. Karen

September 4th, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Super helpful. Love reading the other comments. I worked my way up the "ladder". Understanding the bits as a 2nd, make the work of the 1st and main shooter easier! I will be passing on the list to my 2nds and noting how extremely grateful I am for them!

141. Lukas VanDyke'

September 5th, 2009 at 1:07 am

Nice! Thanks for the thoughts, It made me realize I have some great second shooters!

142. Natalie

September 6th, 2009 at 4:03 am

I’m glad pants were mentioned in all of the combinations of the "three piece rule"! Solid advice.

143. Jenny McMasters

September 7th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

This is an awesome list I will refer to often!

144. Jay Hsiang

September 11th, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Thanks for sharing !! good stuff as always !!

145. Katherine Tomasek

September 16th, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Great advice – I just started being a second shooter at weddings and found a lot of these tips to be true!

146. Jason Grubb

September 20th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Excellent Advice.

147. Debbie H

September 29th, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Perfect advice. I would only add that posting images on their website without permission would be a no-no to go along with the business cards. I’d love to shoot with you guys sometime.

148. joits

October 17th, 2009 at 10:40 am

how perfect that i am seeing this post the day before i second shoot a wedding tomorrow… great tips!

149. Kentucky Wedding Photographer

March 11th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I don’t often have a second photographer at the weddings I shoot…but I’ll be bookmarking this page for future reference! Great tips!

150. Laura Lawrence

May 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Great advice, I’m shooting today as a sorta 2nd shooter and was looking for tips, this worked great! Thank you!
    Laura

151. Mehdi

September 19th, 2010 at 11:20 pm

thank you a lot for these advices, excellent tips, it was a pleasure to read…

152. Naomi Figueroa

October 19th, 2010 at 1:20 am

Oh snap, JD’s post is #8 on Google when I search for "second shooter tips"! Haha, and I didn’t want to search through the archives on this site so just happened across it (again) on Google.
    Thanks for the awesome article!

153. Brittani Gonzalez

March 3rd, 2011 at 9:46 pm

=) Awesome. Thanks JD.

154. Butch Linton

March 10th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Many of the points you mentioned we have listed on our "Independent Contractor Agreement".
    Butch Linton

155. Taylor Sparks

May 2nd, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Thanks so much for posting this! I mainly have been doing 2nd shooting and this is excellent advice!!! I will be reading through it before I shoot again πŸ™‚

156. Photographers in Barrie

June 3rd, 2012 at 3:38 am

Great points, these will help with an upcoming 2nd gig. Thanks so much!

157. Dan Oksnevad

November 14th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

These are great tips for second shooting a wedding! I’ve had a second shooter of mine pass out his business card. Absolute no-no! So glad you mentioned that one.

158. photographe mariage suisse

January 15th, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I loved reading those tips for second shooters, both for them and for us, as first shooters, to give them some advice about how to behave!

159. Jonas MΓΌller

February 17th, 2014 at 11:38 am

good advices

160. Cumbria Photography

May 13th, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I wish more second shooters to read your post.

161. Bogdan Terente

February 12th, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Great advices, Jasmine. I’m happy to find that I have a great assistant! πŸ™‚

162. Hochzeitsfotograf Hamburg

May 29th, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I loved reading those tips for second shooters, good work!

163. chiropraktiker

May 30th, 2015 at 7:57 am

Great points, these will help with an upcoming 2nd gig. Thanks so much!

164. Steve

May 20th, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I’m going to be second shooting in July, and these tips will help me to be a “kinder, gentler” second shooter. Thanks! http://www.stevelewisphotos.com