What the New Instagram Algorithm Means for Small Businesses

What the New Instagram Algorithm Means for Small Businesses

Business

Have you heard the news?  Instagram is changing the way viewers experience updates.  Last week I read this article on TechCrunch about how Instagram will no longer display images in order of chronological order, but, instead, by way of an algorithm.  Basically, Instagram will function like Facebook.

Your Instagram feed will show images it thinks you want to see based on your behavior patterns (things you Like and/or leave comments on).  Furthermore, your posts will be shown in your followers’ feeds based on how much interaction it’s receiving…the more activity your updates receive, the more likely it’ll be shown in your followers’ feeds.

UGH.  Sure, we can collectively groan with this massive change, but instead of wasting time being upset, let’s use this as an opportunity to think of ways we can improve the ways we use Instagram for our businesses.  In fact, let’s make this a homework assignment for a hustlin’ entrepreneur.

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 7.02.29 AM

In order to get a better understanding of what your audience enjoys from you, you must take the time to figure out what that is.  So let’s get busy.  Please assess the past 3-4 weeks of your Instagram updates and list the stats associated with each post.  Like so:

Type of Photo               Day of Week                Time of Post                   Likes               Comments

For example, here’s a list of some of my recent posts and their stats

Instagram Algorithm Assessment

Based on this small sampling of Instagram posts (remember, you want to do 3-4 weeks to give you a better idea of what performs well), personal photos (like my outfit of the day or the donut I’m eating) have more interaction than, say, a business/promotional photo update.  So what does this mean?  If I want my business-related posts to be seen by more people, I better find ways to personalize the posts.  When people like/interact more, the new Instagram algorithm will index my post favorably.

Does this seem bleak?  Well, yeah.  Does it appear that Instagram will morph into a pay-to-play platform like Facebook?  Yes.  So it’s time to get creative, produce great visual content, and find ways to create organic interaction so you’re not forced to start promoting posts so they’re seen.

If you have more insight into the changes in store, I’m all ears.  Better yet, if you have tips for entrepreneurs to create stronger visual content, please share in the comment box.

Shine On,

j*

comments

1. Karina Bravo -

I started to try to do your exercise and then realized…Yikes…I need to create categories for my posts?!!! Obviously I need more intention with my posts so I can analyze them and figure out what works.
    Thank you Jasmine, this and your last IG post were really informative! Gotta take it more seriously!

3.22.16 - 7:08 pm

2. Jamie -

Jasmine, I’m seriously grateful for you! I can always rely on you to succinctly put together the basics of what I need to know with social media changes, along with a manageable action plan. Thank you thank you!!

3.23.16 - 12:45 am

3. Instagram muda algoritmo (e o que as marcas precisam aprender) - 5 ERA - Pioneiros em atuação na 5ª era computacional -

[…] Wallaroo Media | NY Times | Tech Crunch | Jasminestar […]

3.24.16 - 8:17 pm

4. Alice C. -

Great advice, Jasmine! I’m bummed about the changes to Instagram, but it’s a good push to re-evaluate my posts and see how to improve them!

3.25.16 - 6:55 pm

5. What we hope for in iPhone7 | TimeOutPk -

[…] Star is a Los Angeles based wedding photographer who also does a terrific job blogging. She has a great piece out this week on Instagram’s new photo presentation, and talks about […]

3.27.16 - 9:09 am

6. meredith mcdonald -

question as a person who does not use instagram as a small business…. does this mean that if I don’t “like” any posts, then nothing will change for me??

3.28.16 - 7:40 am

7. Jasmine Star -

Not necessarily…if you’re a passive viewer in Instagram, it’ll simply start showing more of what it thinks you want to see. Furthermore, it’ll show you the most active posts of the people you follow, if you choose not to engage at all. Hope this helps!

3.28.16 - 7:40 pm

8. Jasmine Star | Featured : USA Today – The New Instagram Algorithm -

[…] music sites and–my favorite–social media.  We spoke about a recent blog post I wrote about Instagram’s new algorithm and was interviewed on camera as well.  (Note to self: smile more on […]

3.28.16 - 1:45 pm

9. What Instagram's Latest Update Means For Your Internet Popularity - Kewzi -

[…] you have to get to understand what your audience responds to. Photographer Jasmine Star wrote a blog post outlining a possible way to go about it. Test the times you post and what types […]

3.28.16 - 3:50 pm

10. Trudi -

Thanks for this Jasmine. I had no idea this was happening and I think if I’d found out some other way I’d have panicked. I don’t get a lot of connection on my Instagram as it is so I’m going to have to totally step up my game!! It’s great to read your article and feel like we’re all in this together and we need to keep positive about it! Thank you!! Namaste! X

3.28.16 - 4:17 pm

11. The New Instagram Algorithm + Social Media Stress -

[…] is a great post about the algorithm change by Jasmine Star that is chock full of […]

3.28.16 - 5:12 pm

12. Why Instagram?: Changes & Implications -

[…] Jasmine Star wrote a great blog post following Instagram’s release of the news that their algorithm was going to change. Her stance on the matter is about recognizing the benefits of this situation and how the changes will in fact help small business owners as well as all Instagram users. […]

3.29.16 - 3:05 am

13. Experts Weigh In on Instagram Changes & How to Adapt -

[…] “It’s time to get creative, produce great visual content, and find ways to create organic interaction so you’re not forced to start promoting posts so they’re seen. Jasmine Star […]

3.29.16 - 3:21 am

14. A little bit of Instagram… – Just Little Bits -

[…] else we do online, we need to analyze and now is the time. Photographer Jasmine Star did an amazing blog post explaining how a small business can better understand what their audience […]

3.29.16 - 2:34 pm

15. Monika -

In my opinion every wedding photographers should read this. Well done Jasmine!

4.3.16 - 9:30 am

16. Instagram's New Ordering - What It Means - Banana Pear Design -

[…] Jasmine Star does a really good example of the kind of homework that business should be doing before the release of the algorithm from Instagram. […]

4.11.16 - 5:44 am

17. Tim Moore -

Great article. That new algorithm sounded like a panic-news on the instagram microcosm. For the moment I have to say that I didn’t see any change of impact but I do agree with your analysis : it’s a business move (money money money) that will push us to get more creative

#thinkpositive 😀

Tim

4.12.16 - 1:39 am

18. Matt Selby -

I’ve never really understood instagram, I do use it – but most of the likes I get come from women who want me to sign up to their webcams!

4.13.16 - 3:27 pm

19. Monika Wedding Photography -

Thanks for this inspirational blog. This article really helps me a lot.

4.15.16 - 9:59 am

20. Laurelyn -

Thanks so much for sharing this great insight, Jasmine! I love IG, and was wondering how it would be affecting my business, so this is wonderful to know! <3

4.15.16 - 8:03 pm

21. Kristian -

Great post, thanks for sharing Jasmine!

4.20.16 - 9:52 am

22. Mark White -

I’ve been searching for some info on this so big thanks for sharing this post.

4.22.16 - 4:20 pm

23. Ana Gomes -

I’m going to plan to do this! I love it 🙂

5.2.16 - 3:21 am

24. Jess Kornacki -

Thank you for this advice! It is a little worrying that people will be missing my posts, but I am willing to put in the work to make them see the images.

5.2.16 - 5:49 pm