You Say Balmy, I Say Snow.

Photography

A couple days ago, I updated my Facebook status with the following: Packing for the East Coast and my mind can’t even wrap itself around the idea of 35 degree weather. I don’t even own a coat. You know where this is leading, right? Riiiight?!

More than a few people had an opinion on the matter (It’s not THAT bad… We wear capris and no jackets when it’s 35 degrees… This weather feels like a heat wave…) and someone even described the weather as…wait for it…BALMY.

On Sunday JD and I headed to Hartford for the CT Professional Photographers of America Conference. We arrived just past 1 a.m. in the morning and groggily checked in. I was sure I’d be able to fall asleep, but at 3:30 a.m. I stared at the ceiling in despair. A few hours later, I heard a voice outside our door and he said it was snowing. I sprung from bed and opened the window and saw snow! falling! from! the! sky! Should I repeat that last part again?! SNOW! I jumped on the bed and shrieked It’s snooooowing!

Later I was corrected when someone told me it wasn’t snow, but flurry. Umm, I suppose there are different descriptions of snow, but for people who claim 35 degrees as balmy, I think it’s safe to say they’re not likely the most trustworthy weather sources! 😉

It was an honor to speak and share the stage with Justin and Mary Marantz and Zach and Jody Gray…we were treated so well and welcomed with opened arms. I’m incredibly thankful for the amazing people I met and I’m excited to see where the industry is headed!

comments

1. Kristina Peele

March 16th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

You have no sleeves – no wonder you think CT is cold! Everyone in this picture has long sleeves on…….hehe

2. Sarah Danaher

March 16th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’m an East Coaster, and 35 degrees is NOT balmy. It’s cold.

PS— you’re adorable, Jasmine.

3. Melissa

March 16th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Hahaha! I live in Boston but I still don’t think 35 is Balmy! 50s maybe 😉 but there is still a difference between flurrying and snowing. At this point in the season "Snow" sends people into a downward spiral of despair at the thought of shoveling again, while "flurrying" is just grumbled at and accepted. You can’t scare people by telling them it’s "snowing!"

4. // DANI

March 16th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Jasmine, I really adore the way you write. You are a talented storyteller. Your funny little anecdotes of your life make me smile. All the time. AND apart from that: do I see our picture on the big fat presentation screeeeen up there? OH MY. We are famous. haha. Lots of love, Dani

5. Catie Ronquillo

March 16th, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I remember the first time I witnessed it snow here in Texas. I was the same way. LOOK. there’s. SNOW. falling. from. the. SKY. It was amaze. Especially for a girl who never grew up with snow. And in Cali, you know we go TO the snow, it doesn’t come to us 😉 And yeah, 35 is COOOOLD. That’s only 3 degrees from freezing. 🙂

6. Shannon

March 16th, 2011 at 3:55 pm

LOL! It’s true that once it hits 40 degrees after our freezing cold winters we think its warm… for winter that is. Its sad is what it is! I just wanted to say I was at your presentation and you were awesome! You lit a fire under me and I was SO pumped when I left on Monday! Can’t wait to see what the future holds! Thanks for rockin’ it out and motivating the pants off of me 🙂

7. Katelyn James

March 16th, 2011 at 4:04 pm

You got a FB "Like" button too!!! Glad I wasn’t the only one!! 🙂 xoxo

8. Tanya De Leeuw

March 16th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Hope you’re having a great trip back east!

What always amazes me is how quickly we from the far frozen north can acclimatize to warmer weather … but going the other way is quite the opposite! It doesn’t even require flying south to experience it: Up here in Canada we’ll have one or two warm (to us!) days, then the chill will be back – and previously mild temp’s suddenly feel cold again!

9. Suzie Bell

March 16th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Im from Texas and the last two years we have had crazy snow. We are pretty proud of being able to wear flipflops year round and I think this year they actually sold out of closed toe shoes, lol!

10. Jill Samter Photography

March 16th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

You are right Jasmine it is NOT balmy here. I can’t wait for spring to really arrive. No more snow please God! I’m sure you rocked the talk and truly hope I get to attend one of your workshops!

11. Marietta

March 16th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hey Jasmine,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for coming out to the CTPPA conference and being utterly fabulous as always!!! JD it was such a pleasure to meet you and Jasmine!! Just remember that Connecticut’s arms are always open wide for you whenever you visit!!! 🙂

12. Shannon Sorensen

March 16th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Jasmine, it was so wonderful getting to listen to your story in person and all I can say is I called my husband on my way home crying, I was so inspired. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us.

Also, I’m glad you got to see snow, but sweetie, next time run down the road to Target and grab a sweater! This time a year they’re like, $5. haha

13. Sara (Growing Tree Photography)

March 16th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I just want to THANK YOU again for traveling across the country to speak to us in CT!! Your words were so honest and you keep it R-E-A-L! I’m incredibly inspired and I can’t wait to bring it…. MY WAY!!! thanks, girl!! xoxo!

14. Christine Bartolucci

March 16th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for braving the "balmy" weather for us! Your presentation was killer and I learned a ton. Seriously, amazing stuff. Thanks again! <3

15. Stephanie Murray Photography

March 16th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Haha. I live in Boston and it’s just that it’s soooo cold that 40 degrees actually starts to feel warm. We build up a tolerance. But you are right to think it’s cold, you guys are spoiled in California (and smarter for deciding to live there).

16. Erin McGinn

March 16th, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Jasmine, thank you so much for coming to the east coast and for sharing your story, your struggle, your success, and your smile with us!

17. rich

March 16th, 2011 at 4:41 pm

ignore the haters! flurries are definitely snow – it’s as if they were to say drizzle isn’t rain! hope you enjoyed the east coast!

18. Naomi

March 16th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, 35 is definitely warm… well, warm-er 😉 After single digits and teens, 40s feel a LOT warmer 🙂 Did you hear about the *feet* of snow we got a couple months ago (Mass.)? THAT was snow ;P lol thanks for your cold-weather naiveness <3 It made me laugh…

19. Kate Douthwright

March 16th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hope you’re enjoying the east coast! I’ve lived here all my life and still think it’s freezing, don’t let them fool you.

20. Noa

March 16th, 2011 at 5:05 pm

OK, let me start by saying I’m a born and raised Mediterranean gal. However, I’ve been living in the NYC area for the past 10 years, and *shudder* have to deal with east coast winters *shudder*. I even torture myself by having Tel Aviv as one of the cities on my weather iPhone app, and stare at it in despair when its 75 in Israel and 18 in NY. Anywayssss, just wanted to say that YES! I’m one of those people who twitter "its a BALMY 40 degrees!! bring out the suntan lotion, baby!". After months of 15-20 degree weather, anything about 35 is practically tropical 🙂 So sorry I missed you in CT, hopefully I’ll be able to meet you ONE day!

21. Laura Stricklin

March 16th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

35 degrees warm??? NO! But. I am from the south! We like it 75 and sunny! Love the outfit you are wearing btw! 🙂 Snow descriptions: Flurry – very light, can barely see snow. Snowing – Coming down pretty decent. Blizzard – All you can see is white! lol Just some humor! 🙂

22. Kimberly

March 16th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

You’re wearing a tank top in the snow?! I guess you took someone’s advice about layering. Hope you stayed warm!

23. Columbus GA Photography

March 16th, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Looked like a great turnout. Can’t imagine 35 degrees and snow intimidating you =) J/K

24. Kelli Boling

March 16th, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I love that you’re wearing a sleeveless top in snow/balmy 35 degree weather! Rock on Jasmine!

25. Alanna Scully

March 16th, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Jasmine!! Thank you so much for braving the "balmy" weather and coming to CT! The east coast was happy to have you and JD (who I think was scared of me after my ten requests for photos haha) and your presentation totally rocked. Thanks again!

26. Jenelle Sewell

March 16th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

If you happen to hop on over to NYC, give a girl a shout!

27. Crystal Heft

March 16th, 2011 at 7:00 pm

The short sleeves were justified. It was HOT in that room! You were the smart one!

28. Brittani

March 16th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

=) It’s 46 degrees out today, and I left my coat at home!! It really is beautiful out, when compared with not so beautiful…haha
    and yes, flurries are snow. lol

29. Ann Molen

March 16th, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I miss the snow! I grew up in Utah and was used to at least 2 blizzards a year. Trust me though, we’re lucky we live in SoCal. Snow is for Christmas. Summer is for all the other 11 months of the year!

30. Deborah Zoe

March 16th, 2011 at 7:27 pm

What can we say, we’re hearty New Englanders! We were shorts on the first day of snow melt and flip flops at the first sign of 40 degree weather. 🙂

31. Erin Davenport

March 16th, 2011 at 7:37 pm

There is "snow! falling! from! the! sky! … It’s snooooowing!" That’s how III feel about snow! 🙂 LOL thanks for the laughs, glad you’re home safe!

32. Shane O' Sullivan

March 16th, 2011 at 7:54 pm

This picture is getting me in the mood for another Creative Live, it can’t come quick enough!!

33. Catherine of Joyful Reflections Photography

March 16th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Jasmine~ Your Rock girl! I have never been so moved and motivated by a speaker like you! You have it together and you make your audience laugh! Thanks for sharing your life…your story with us here in CT! Remember…I have a coat for you and welcome arms any time you want to come and play in the snow! I will always remember your words * Give *Help * Connect * Love! Thanks again! Hugs from CT!

34. connie

March 16th, 2011 at 8:44 pm

hahaha…after all the snow we had, 35 is warm!! We are totally stoked you came to see us in the cold! Next time i’ll be sure to bring you a sweater…. 🙂

35. Paige Anderson

March 16th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Ha! I live in Southwest Mississippi and when it starts with the flurries here…everyone gets on facebook and twitter and sends texts so the rest of the country knows it is "snowing" in Mississippi! Enjoy the flurries anyway you want to!!!

36. Jennifer Bacchiocchi

March 16th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Jasmine, Thank you for coming to Connecticut! It was so great hearing you speak in person. And the timing could not be more perfect as we are working on a new website. My husband and I have not stopped talking about it. Between you and Justin & Mary, we laughed, we cried, we went home INSPIRED! Thank you, Jasmine. Love how you keep it real.

37. Kristin Nicole

March 16th, 2011 at 9:59 pm

So cute! I am sure your presentation was fabulous! What a great group of speakers.

38. Life with Kaishon

March 16th, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Flurries are so nice. I love the state you were in. I can’t spell it. I don’t feel like googling it. : ) I had such a long day at work and right now, as I type, my sweet son is crawling on the roof. I need to go and stop that.

39. Lwk

March 16th, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Connecticut.
    : )

40. Rachel C.

March 17th, 2011 at 12:08 am

your outfit is so cute. *try* to enjoy the east! …I’m so excited spring is on its way over here. 🙂

41. kelsey {las vegas wedding photographer}

March 17th, 2011 at 12:11 am

35 degrees is freezing!!! Balmy lol I don’t think so ha!

42. angel canary

March 17th, 2011 at 1:40 am

NOW you see why I want to move to California?? Haha! I lived in Louisiana for 27 years before I moved to Indiana and the first time I was in 30 degree weather here I freaked out. Literally, freaked out. I don’t think I’ll ever really get used to the cold and snow, but I will say it’s not "as bad" 😉 It was pretty though right?

43. Lloyed Valenzuela

March 17th, 2011 at 2:14 am

On my part, since im living on a country where snow is just a dream and fantasy when i was a kid, i always wanted to experience living in a place where snow is abundant:) I remember when i was in Japan and it did snow, i went outside without a jacket and im enjoying it…

44. Holli True

March 17th, 2011 at 4:08 am

I live where it’s cold, Jasmine, and I agree, 35 is cold!! 🙂 Not balmy. Cold. I do love snow- at least then it is cold for a purpose! Travel safe!! PS: I love Justin & Mary and Zach & Jody- what a fabulous group!! 🙂

45. LEOLAK

March 17th, 2011 at 4:12 am

Ok..I’m in Chicago and while 35 isn’t balmy it does feel better than 20 or lower! lol We practically had a spring like day today it was so gorgeous out…but no 35 is not balmy! lol I’m envious you get warm weather all year long! Thanks for the laugh!

46. Temecula Wedding Photographers

March 17th, 2011 at 5:19 am

Balmy!

Thats a funny word.
    Bet it gave you a chance to snap some nice pictures though.

I love all your other posts, keep up the great work.

47. kristina (Wedding Entertainment)

March 18th, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Lovely couples! Happy Matrimony. Destiny as it is.

48. feuza

March 19th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

see you west Coast folks have such an advantage with your weather and we have to be weather Mcguyvers all the time