Today I'm headed to New York City to join my mastermind group for three days of business strategy, growth plans, and marketing maps. A year ago, I hadn't heard of the word “mastermind” so if you're anything like me, I want to explain what it is…and the insane benefits of being a part of one.
There are lots of fancy definitions of “mastermind” but I explained it to a friend as the following: A group of people equally dedicated to each other's success by freely collaborating with ideas, with a specific purpose.
So how does it work? The group is led by someone (shout out to James Wedmore for being my business guru!), who facilitates the group conversations and objectives. My mastermind has a private Facebook group where we connect with each other daily for questions and support, we commit to a monthly strategy call, and we meet in person quarterly in various cities around the United States.
The biggest perks are…
- the ability to talk about your business (and get honest feedback) in a space clear from judgment or expectations.
- creating new ideas with peers.
- growing a network of trusted allies.
- having accountability for implementing your plans.
I spent the first 11 years without a mastermind, but I wish I could go back in time and change it.
I've learnt so much, grown by leaps, and forced myself to try new things…even when I was scared. And it happened because I was supported as I built a plan, strategically executed, and asked for help when I needed it.
If you'd like to be a part of a mastermind, I encourage it. Heavily. Even if it means just asking four to six people to commit to each other and help, that's a solid start.
If you're interested, it can be as simple as:
- Inviting a select group of trusted peers to join you.
- Creating a private Facebook group (or email chain) for y'all to communicate as needed.
- Establishing online video chats on a monthly basis for specific topics.
- Setting the commitment (how long will the group last? are monthly meetings mandatory? is the group exclusive? etc.)
- Giving as much as you expect to receive.
I wish you all the best as you create magic in your business (and life) when you connect with people who are dedicated to helping you grow.