Free to Succeed Tour : Los Angeles

I’m not positive what cartoon movie it was, but as a child I’d sit mesmerized by a scene from I think was American Tale—you know the movie where an Eastern European family of mice travel to America for a new start and their son, Fivel, gets lost. I remember being envious of a mouse who mounted the top of a champagne cork, and took off flying once the bottle opened. I’d heavily sigh and shake my head in human disappoint. I wanted to fly on a champagne cork!

Lo and behold, twenty-something years later, I feel like I’m flying on a champagne cork…only a thousand times faster! Fivel ain’t got nothing on me now! My life went into overdrive immediately after the San Diego and hasn’t slowed since. I’m in Santa Barbara right now and will be shooting a wedding, then boarding the tour bus and heading to San Francisco, one of my most favorite cities in the world! The Free To Succeed stop in Los Angeles was fabulous and it was so nice to see 130+ hometown photographers come out full force. Holllllla!

Thanks to Rudy for taking this picture…

And a special thanks to my bestest friend, Brianna, for coming out and sprinkling her love. She’s not a photographer, but seeing her wave and smile from the back row made my heart melt. I don’t understand how I have such great friends, but I cherish them.

And here’s the coolest thing ever: A TREASURE HUNT! If you follow DJ’s Blog, you’d know he posted a video of a treasure hunt from the Los Angeles tour stop. If you want to see and learn more about it, you can click here. The premise of the hunt is the hide little cartoon characters of ourselves at a few stops on the tour and the person who finds it later wins $500 in Showit Cash! Hollla! My new friend Troy Grover found me in the lobby of the LAX Sheraton and he documented everything on film…hilarious!
**Updated To Add**
Carrie just left a comment and pointed me to their blog and I found this video of their failed expedition. I felt SO terribly that they didn’t win, but–dang–this video of failure was pretty hilarious! Thanks, Carrie and Sam…and start raising those kids RIGHT!!! 🙂

1. nena

August 8th, 2008 at 5:27 pm

That video is so funny! I think I need to start following DJ’s blog now! And how BIG is your wedding ring?! I guess I’ve never seen it before on your blog! =-)

2. tish

August 8th, 2008 at 5:35 pm

funny post…the one line i remember from the fivel movie is "wewease the secwet weapon!!!" glad you are having so much fun…you are glowing!!!

3. Carrie V.

August 8th, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Thanks so much for all that you shared in the seminar. I laughed and cried. You really made an impression by just walking up to us and saying, "Hi, I’m Jasmine. Thanks for coming."
    My husband, Sam, and I also tried to find you yesterday, but we were a few hours late. We made a video, too. Thought you might get a giggle out of it.

4. crystal goss

August 8th, 2008 at 6:05 pm

that is toooo funny!!!! Poor Carrie and Sam! 🙁 what a bummer!!

5. Matthew Saville

August 8th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

JD did the same to me- walked right up and started talking. You both are way cool. BTW I live right down near Culver & Walnut, and my fiancee and I would love to hang out some time and chat about married couple "teams" lol! I got there late so I missed most of your lecture, but I hear you have a pretty awesome story… =Matt=

6. Tira J

August 8th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

It was by far, the BEST evening ever! It was so wonderful see you again, and this time to hear you speak, so well I might add. Holla! Wow! I came home and those wheels were turning. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done for me. It is all life changing! And, JD is so fabulous! He shared with me some of the great things he is going to be doing. I am so proud of you both. Hugs to you!

7. Shawn Kloster

August 8th, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Great meeting you on Wednesday Jasmine! You and DJ are such a breathe of fresh air. I left with a brain full of useful info… I can’t wait to apply it! =)

8. Nicole

August 8th, 2008 at 6:33 pm

You look so wonderful in that color, Jasmine!

If you’re anything like me, it can be a bit stressful when life is in overdrive, but at the same time I thrive on it. You continue to be an inspiration to me! Love your work!

9. Betsy

August 8th, 2008 at 6:39 pm

You are ROCKIN that shirt! LOVE IT!

10. Jordana

August 8th, 2008 at 6:55 pm

You=Amazing. I love listening to you speak… Beyond inspiring! Thank you so much for your bits of wisdom, they will be cleverly integrated into my life. Thank You!

11. Jeanette Sanchez

August 8th, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Thanks again Jasmine, for sharing your real experiences, useful information, and encouraging us to be what? DETERMINED. It was also fun to finally meet JD!

12. kymberli q.

August 8th, 2008 at 7:15 pm

HILARIOUS!! "Who’s Jasmine Star?" LMAO! Sad to say that was me in December 07 – not anymore!!

13. serena

August 8th, 2008 at 7:28 pm

jasmine – it was great seeing you again! thanks for all that you shared. and yes, i’m going to make more time for jeremy!

14. Crystal

August 8th, 2008 at 7:50 pm

You always dress SO cute!

15. Britt

August 8th, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Are you gonna be in SLC?? To be honest you are the main reason im going.

16. Amber Paterson

August 8th, 2008 at 9:31 pm

I love the treasure hunt thing!

17. Bianca

August 8th, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Jasmine SJDLT! You BETTER give that cute family SOMETHING. Did you see their daughter’s face??? It killed me. If you don’t give them SOMETHING, I’m going to tell mom and dad that THEY need to start raising their kids right!

August 8th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

What a great night! Thanks for being so generous with your experiences and advice. Although I didn’t have the pleasure of finding you smashed between the pages of the Ansel Adams book, this was definitely an evening well spent! 🙂

19. Hanssie

August 8th, 2008 at 9:40 pm

It was great meeting you and now I am having an identity crisis (a brand identity crisis). You gave me lots to think about!

20. Mel Plambeck

August 8th, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Looks like you’re having a great time! Soooo wish I wasn’t in the states and not little ol’ Aussie Land! 🙂
    Oh, I have a question… Could I please have your purple dress.. I LOVE it! It looks soooo CUTE!! hehehe 🙂 Mel

21. Cindy Meadors

August 8th, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Jasmine, after meeting you and hearing you speak I am the most inspired I have ever been. You and JD are absolutely adorable and the entire evening was just off the charts! The part of your story when you said DJ "documented a miracle" almost made me lose it as I went through the same thing. Promise me you and JD will come to Rockharbor sometime when the tour is over. KIR!!! (my new favorite saying!!!)

22. Peter Tran

August 9th, 2008 at 1:34 am

Thank you so much for sharing your stories. I have learned so much about the business side of weddings but most important you got me thinking about how to better myself first and use what I know instead of wishing about things that I am not..

Icons Photography

23. Rudy Arpia

August 9th, 2008 at 1:55 am

Thank You! for sharing all that cool info and your experience.
    Your presentation was great and I know I’ll be seeing more of you.

24. Jackie L.

August 9th, 2008 at 4:14 am

I love that movie! I still have it on VHS, lol!

25. Heather

August 9th, 2008 at 4:27 am

The second video was priceless. What kind of kids are they raising, they don’t know who Jasmine Star is?? The world is ending!!

26. Donavan Freberg

August 9th, 2008 at 4:38 am

Jasmine, thank you for your AMAZING presentation in LA. I am SO glad I came to see you guys. Your energy, talent and generosity are an inspiration to us all. I am now going to call myself, "Determined Donavan"! ;o)

27. Val McCormick

August 9th, 2008 at 5:29 am

That second video was sad with a hilarious ending. What kind of kids are we raising. That’s so funny. Thanks for sharing!

28. Carrie V.

August 9th, 2008 at 6:38 am

Hey Jasmine! I can’t thank you enough for posting my video. You made my day. Don’t feel terrible, we had fun. To quote my 7 year old son in the video, "Its just a contest, win or lose, have fun with it" which is a concept we’ve been driving home with him lately. (Relieved to know he’s finally getting it, too) And thanks to everyone who commented. Since the comments on my website appear to be uncooperative, I have to live vicariously thru the comments left here. We’re all good, but the sentiments (I especially liked Bianca’s *giggles*) are appreciated!

29. Brianna

August 9th, 2008 at 7:46 am

You never know, seeing you speak might have convinced me to give the photography business a shot! You know I’m competitive so watch out!!! I love you…

30. cassandra m

August 9th, 2008 at 5:52 pm

That’s your OLYMPIC friend, Brianna..I remember HER! How awesome she was there. You do have amazing friends. But I bet they say the same about you 😉 Thanks for sharing those videos, I was laughin so hard. You are going to have your own cartoon soon girl. I can see this going places…ha.ha. Seems you are having a blast riding that champaign cork…reach for the moon, you already have the "star"s…hee.hee.

31. Natarsha N. Wright

August 10th, 2008 at 1:09 am

I love that dress and the color purple looks so vibrant on you. That second video was so hilarious…

32. lin

August 10th, 2008 at 1:25 am

Aww great to hear you had an awesome time here in LA! Which reminds me. When is the next Starbox lunch? 🙂

33. Jordan Smith

August 10th, 2008 at 3:48 am

Myself and 3 other photographer friends are going to be searching for you in Orlando… ahhh come see the east coast! 🙂
    xo j

34. hedy berg

August 10th, 2008 at 7:02 am

i’m go going to bed with the lyrics "Somewhere out there beneath the pale moon light …" in my head! :o)

35. Cathy Crawley

August 10th, 2008 at 7:51 am

I am looking forward to the wedding shots, I can’t wait to see Lauri in her gown.

36. terri z

August 10th, 2008 at 2:33 pm

i’ll be looking for you as well in orlando !!! please, oh please make it to orlando !!! 🙂

37. Fabuluxe Photos

August 11th, 2008 at 4:32 am

Funny video 🙂

38. Joshua Aull

August 11th, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Hi Jasmine…it was great talking with you in LA, I’m glad I made the drive from San Diego. Kelly say’s hi and I look forward to seeing you around.

39. vanessa H

August 13th, 2008 at 5:46 am

that video of the guy finding little Jasmine was so cool!!! Very cute shirt by the way!!!Purple is so your color!!!