Fresh Prince and Off to Philly

Personal

Make no joke. I loved watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air as a kid. I lived for it. I’d laugh at Will and secretly wish I lived his posh life, even if it included the lightning bolts that were sculpted into the sides of his haircut. When the show started, my sister and I would rap into a happy oblivion—I pulllllllled up to house and yelled to the cabbie, Yo, Homes, smell ya later!—and I knew there and then I wanted to visit West Philadelphia. You know, where Will was born and raised.

Right now I’m packing to visit Philly—JD and I are shooting a wedding, but we’ll also visit the Liberty Bell, climb Rocky’s steps, eat a cheesesteak, and give a shout out to my homeboy, Will—and I’m praying for traveling mercies. Life has been very busy lately, but I’m blessed to be supported by an amazing husband and family.

Today, my heart broke when I was packing my camera gear. It was spread on our living room floor and Polo realized this meant bad news. He knows when my backpack is unfurled, he’s not coming with me. And it breaks my heart. I mean, how can I not be sad when looking at this face?!

From Philadelphia, I’m flying to Kansas City to join the Free to Succeed Tour, then heading to Chicago. Speaking of the tour, another Showit Contest was announced and I was able to conduct the treasure hunt in San Francisco! If you’d like to know how you can win $500 in Showit Bucks, just view the following video for the clues…

**Updated to Add**
The San Fran Winner was just announced, so thanks to those of you who tried! :)Happy Thursday!

comments

1. DJ

August 14th, 2008 at 8:40 pm

WOOHOO….I have been found! 🙂

2. Tunji Sarumi

August 14th, 2008 at 9:02 pm

How?

3. Christina

August 14th, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Woohoooooo! Yea, Kansas City! I hope you have a fabulous time in Philly, but I can’t wait to see you in KC on Monday! I sent you an email last week or so, but see? I’m learning and taking up some comment space. I was sad that someone already had the Star Tishirt idea, but I have my own goofy surprise planned;-)

4. joan solitario

August 14th, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Jasmine! LOVE ALL YOUR PHOTOS! Gosh, its been crazy busy that I haven’t been able to post comments! Have fun in Philadephia! I just visited that place a couple of place ago and did everything you listed! Don’t forget to try Italian Ice at RITA’s ITALIAN ICE! They’re so delicious! I miss it already!

5. Katie Torres

August 14th, 2008 at 9:12 pm

OK, I was just feeling really lame. Just finished a client meeting and when I unplugged the computer the channel came up to one I don’t watch. It was Fresh Prince! I felt nostalgic yet also silly for having it playing as I winded down with a glass of wine and responding to emails. 🙂 Then your blog post came up! Too funny. I know this has been a crazy summer for you. It would break my heart to leave our pup too. I wish you the best. You are encouraging many and remember to take time to invest in yourself and JD.

Love, Katie

August 14th, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Having just got back from Philadelphia last Saturday, I can testify to there being so much to see! Add to your list Independence Hall. It was amazing to be in the same room where men put their lives, wealth, and freedom on the line by signing the Declaration of Independence!

7. Mark Zemnick

August 14th, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Disappointed that Arizona did not get the opportunity to play for the Showit Cash. 🙁

8. Jane Chung

August 14th, 2008 at 10:02 pm

You’d be a superstar if you can quote the entire *extended* version of the opening. Then we could be a rap duo. =) Hugs to you and Polo. Continued safe travels!

9. Catie

August 14th, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I totally know what you mean about leaving on a trip! Every time I bring out my suitcase my two dachshunds – Frieda & Walter – start to get worried! Have fun in Philly! I <3 Fresh Prince and can’t help but rap along when the show opens. Polo is so cute! 🙂

10. margot

August 14th, 2008 at 10:11 pm

new to the blog and love the pics! esp. this one

11. Cristy Cross

August 14th, 2008 at 10:44 pm

I’m so excited to meet you in Kansas City. I live in New Mexico, but wasn’t able to make the tour dates in Texas, so my husband, and baby and I are making a trip out of it in Kansas and then I’m coming to the seminar. I look forward to hearing you and David Jay speak. Blessings.

12. Kenny Kim

August 14th, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Jas – I shot couple of weddings in Philly this year. Have fun out there! Don’t forget to visit the Reading Market! 🙂

13. vanessa H

August 14th, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Oh pobresito!!!!! look at that face!!! Wait until you have kids!!! they give you that face and then they tell they don’t want you to go!!!! he knows you love him!!!

14. sandie

August 15th, 2008 at 1:27 am

you are too cute! what a ton of fun this must be!

15. jenae

August 15th, 2008 at 1:38 am

Woo hoo!! Can’t wait to you guys come to KC!! You’ll have a blast here! Gotta get some BBQ (oklahoma joe’s is the best)

16. Kasey

August 15th, 2008 at 1:44 am

My dog Harley does the same thing! Whenever she sees my red suitcase she knows I’m leaving again and it breaks my heart to leave her. Precious picture of Polo!

17. Brian Khang

August 15th, 2008 at 1:44 am

Fresh Prince is one of my all time favorite shows growing up too. I catch reruns from time to time when it’s on. Have a safe trip Jasmine and Helen wants to clone Polo!

18. Rae Barnes

August 15th, 2008 at 1:54 am

My husband is from Philly, and he says you MUST go to Pat’s for your cheesesteak. Get ready, girl. You will want to eat salads for days afterwards, but they are SO good! 🙂 (Also, we second Rita’s Water Ice).

19. Deyla

August 15th, 2008 at 2:43 am

I have a random thought and question for ya.. I have never noticed you posting any of the group "formals" for your bride & Groom and I haveto ask, do you avoid the Boring group shots? I know there nobody’s favorites to do but know the grandparents and parents like those for their prints. I know it has nothing at all do with this particular post but thought I would ask. Thanks Jasmine you rock!! Thanks for dealing with my silly curiosities!

20. [b]'s sister

August 15th, 2008 at 3:36 am

ask becker to show you the dance he used to do to the opening song of "fresh prince." priceless.

21. michelle Peek

August 15th, 2008 at 5:09 am

That is so cute. My 13 year old daughter just discovered "the prince" this summer and tivoed every episode she could! Thanks for encouraging all of us new photographers. You are a giver and I know you will reap awesome blessings in your life.

22. Geanette

August 15th, 2008 at 5:26 am

Have a safe trip!

23. Heather Espana

August 15th, 2008 at 6:23 am

Yup. I STILL watch that show. Where else am I going to get my Carlton Dance fix?

24. Mike Allebach

August 15th, 2008 at 6:51 am

I’m from the Philly Area. And once and for all Pat’s, Rick’s and Gino’s can’t compare to Steve’s Prince of Steaks in the Northeast. If you’re getting cheesesteaks – go there.

25. Mike

August 15th, 2008 at 6:53 am

Oh and I’ll be trashing the dress on Saturday in Philly. Hope to see you around.

26. John Beyer

August 15th, 2008 at 7:23 am

Hope you guys do this fun game in Chicago next week! Give us a nice heads up! Can’t wait till the conference!

27. betsy

August 15th, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Enjoy it all, but avoid the cheesesteak! Especially if you have to get back on a bus!!!!

: )

28. Emily DeWan

August 15th, 2008 at 2:19 pm

I can still sing all the lyrics to Fresh Prince! What a great show. Looking forward to hearing you speak in Chicago!

29. Carly Rodgers

August 15th, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Jasmin, I’m probably way behind but I just watched the video’s you recorded with Becker for the B School Blog and I just wanted to say I’m inspired! All the best!

30. melissa pearce

August 15th, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Hey Jasmine, how long are you on the Free to Succeed Tour? I mean are you pretty please gonna come to Charlotte? please? I would love it. L.O.V.E.

31. Kacie Jean

August 15th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

I grew up on Philly cheesesteaks, and I can honestly say the chicken cheesesteaks are a million times better. And you don’t get as bad of a tummy ache after. Give it a try, you will LOVE it! Ohhhh, I want one so bad right now 🙂

Have FUN!

32. Jenn Best

August 15th, 2008 at 6:22 pm

That little face is priceless – melts my heart.

33. MattDJ

August 15th, 2008 at 7:28 pm

Great…now I can’t get the song out of my head! 😉

34. Paper Monkey

August 15th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Philly is great! I’ve been a few times because my best friend lives in Jersey not too far away and her hubby is from Philly, so he likes to show us all of the hot spots. You’ve got to go to Larry’s for the best cheesesteak wit!

35. Frances

August 15th, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Jasmine,
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Have fun in philly. You have to have a philly cheesesteak ( minus the steak) at Gino’s. I don’t recommend the cheese wiz.

36. Joyce DZ

August 15th, 2008 at 10:41 pm

It broke my heart, too, to leave our little cat when we went for a hiking trip for two weeks. I know how you feel in a lot of ways. Anyway, that photo is so beautiful!

Have fun in Philly!! 🙂

37. Amanda Doucette Lachapelle

August 15th, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Ok seriously this post made me laugh – My husband and I randomly sing that song – we could be getting out of the car and he will casually turn to me and say "Hey I was chillin out maxin – relaxin all cool – shooting some bball outside of the school " and then I will say " When a couple of guys who were up to no good…" well you get the point – we just shoot the lyrics back and forth as if we were having a conversation – but we’re weird like that 🙂 So glad to hear we’re not the only ones 🙂 Can’t wait til NYC!!!

38. Julia/Jason Schafer

August 16th, 2008 at 2:14 am

oh I love that show…afraid to admit it, but true!
    btw, my first dog looked JUST like Polo.
    and why is it that I can envision you in Philly running up the steps singing the Rocky song…da,da,,,,da-da-da
    Have a great trip!

39. Amy Watson

August 16th, 2008 at 2:32 am

What a sad little puppy face!!! 🙁

40. Troy Schneider

August 16th, 2008 at 4:17 am

Enjoy Philly! I grew up in Lancaster, PA and went to Drexel University in Philly. If you are going to grab a cheesesteak and you have to go to a tourist place choose Pat’s, but the best steaks in the city are found in the little carts that you find around downtown. Can’t beat ’em.

41. cassandra m

August 16th, 2008 at 5:51 am

I love any pics with Polo…Mocha gives me the same sad face when he sees me packing. Our babies are so smart. I have to hide my bags sometimes to prevent pre-seperation stress. ha ha.

42. Courteney Miller

August 18th, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Hi Polo! My little Sofie says hi!
    She thinks you are cute! LOL

43. melissa lawler

August 22nd, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Ohh ssoooo cute.
    I have a maltese, he likes to sit by my feet and be warmed by the computer there. He knows when I have my bag it is a bad thing too.