Good Reads, Good News

When life gets hairy, I have a tendency to have little patience, lack creativity, and–let’s just be real–act crabby. And not even the cute kind of crabby. Just plain, old, You’re Ugly kind of crabby. When this happens, JD usually pats my hand and says, It’s time for you to get a book isn’t it? And just like that, he knows I need an escape. Because that’s what books are to me, a way to live in someone else’s life and dissect the pretty words that describe every scene.

In the past month or so, I’ve read three books that I’d love to give a little shout out to in case there are people looking for good reads as we approach the holiday season…
*TRADE OFF by Kevin Maney. My good friend David Jay recommended I read this book. He’s an avid business book reader, so when I challenged me to define my brand in relation to Maney’s Convenience/Quality scale, I was in. It’s a super easy read, but the content is awesome. It opened my eyes and made me realize just how important the direction I’m moving different aspects my business. Such an awesome read!

*MARCH by Geraldine Brooks. I blogged a bit ago encountering Brooks’ People of the Book and I was in looove. Her writing style just makes my heart jealous and the way she interweaves historical fiction makes me swoon. March won a Pulitzer Prize and it’s easy to see why…her documentation of the Civil War from the perspective of Mr. March, the father/husband character from Little Women is beyond heartbreaking, and beautifully written.

*WEDDING WISDOM by Mary Dann and Leila Khalil. I was beyond honored to have photos grace the pages of this book, but when I discovered my photo was chosen as the cover image, I was thrilled! When I received my copy last week, I sat down and read the entire book in about an hour. It’s awesome. It’s written by famed wedding coordinator Mary Dann and public relations specialist, Leila Khalil, and if you’re interested in becoming a wedding coordinator, or merely want to refine your coordination business, this book is for you. It’s filled with Mary’s insight and wisdom, but always gives full access to her email etiquette, contracts, and timelines. Totally awesome.

In other totally random news, I’m incredibly stoked and humbled to announce I’ll be a platform speaker next March at WPPI 2010. When I received the news I was selected, I cried. No, like sobbed. How my life has made its way through mangled paths and crooked streets is beyond me, and to speak in front of my peers is beyond comprehension. To know that just three years earlier at WPPI I had no one to eat dinner with, to soon be giving a platform presentation is the most humbling thing. Ever. I’ll be presenting on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 8am**, so I’d love to meet you there!

**Yes, I know I’m speaking the morning after every epic party in Vegas is slated to drop, but I fully plan in going to EVERY party and slipping a Benadryl tablet in everyone’s drinks. You’ll go to bed early and wake up refreshed and ready to come hang out bright and early. Right? Riiiiight?!? I’m terrified I’ll be speaking to a room full of empty chairs, and JD off in the corner wearing a J* t-shirt waving pom-poms. He plans on being my biggest cheerleader.

1. Kira Lauren Photography

November 23rd, 2009 at 6:51 pm

You know I’m gonna be there with pom poms alongside JD! =) Congrats on the book cover…. how exciting. You’ve come a long way, so enjoy every minute!

2. jamie delaine

November 23rd, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Bahahaha. Jassss, your FACE. oh my gosh. πŸ™‚ I’m so excited for you! What an honour and you can bet on at least two being there… JD and me. πŸ˜‰

3. ohana photographers

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:04 pm

that pic! bahahaha love it!

4. gladys jem

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:04 pm

oh my god. hahahaha. i am laughing so hard all alone in my apartment. you are the funniest. i wish chris and I could be there to see you speak and cheer you on! Xo

5. Katelyn James

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:12 pm

yessssssssss!!!! so excited! for so many reasons ;);)

6. Kayleen T.

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I’ll be camping out in line for your class like it’s a New Moon movie premier. πŸ™‚

7. Lesley Barr

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Congratulations on your great successes, you deserve them! Your images are amazing and you continue to inspire me. I plan on being up bright and early Monday morning for your class. I can’t wait!!!

8. Hanssie Trainor

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Save me a seat! Congrats girl!

9. Nicole Benitez

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:23 pm

That is awesome!! I am sure that the room will be beyond packed no matter how early :::yawn::: [no 2pm time slot??lol] Congrats on the cover image too! You rock!

10. ronnie

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Congratulations on both the book cover and speaking at WPPI. I will be there for sure!

11. Alexandra

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Congratulations at speaking at WPPI!!! πŸ™‚

12. Melissa Papaj

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:29 pm

My hubby and I are there! ALL THE WAY!!!

13. Tasha Prescott

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Truly an inspiration Jasmine, you are a breath of fresh air. Congrats on the book cover and the platform speaker engagement!

14. Kathryn L

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Jasmine! That’s so exciting about WPPI! People would be foolish to skip out on your session for sleep.. as if!

PS: Love your Stealing Makes Me Sad copyright notice. Where’d you find your coolness, can you share?

15. Diane -

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:45 pm

So happy to see so many wonderful things happening for you! Enjoy the ride!

16. Jaleen

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Oh Jasmine, I was beyond thrilled when I heard you’d be speaking at WPPI, this was going to be my first year attending….that is until I found out my due date. If I wasn’t going to be 9 months pregnant in March I’d totally be there, with a matching set to JD’s pom poms! I went to your workshop in Aug and just can’t get enough of you….hearing you speak again would have been such a treat. (sigh)

17. Anouschka

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Congrats om speaking at the WPPI!!! I’m sure the room will be packed πŸ˜€ I actually forgot to ask you about the WPPI last week during the workshop…is it worth joining on going to Vegas??

18. Leila Khalil |Wedding Publicist|Be Inspired PR

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:57 pm

YAY for this post jasmine! we love your images in our book. You’re published now and we love having you apart of our journey with us. Thanks again!

19. Connie Sithi

November 23rd, 2009 at 8:15 pm

That’s so awesome how your photo made the cover of a book! Can’t wait til you write your own book one day… Congratulations on the speaker gig! Your story is inspiring, J*.

20. Stephanie Stewart

November 23rd, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations, Jasmine! I SOOO wish I could come to WPPI and hear you speak, I would totally be there! And congrats on the book too, you are so inspirational!!!

21. Anna Sawin

November 23rd, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I’ll be there! My first one, so excited.

22. Jennifer O.

November 23rd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Congrats! And you may have just inspired me to pick up a book! πŸ˜‰

23. B

November 23rd, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I’ll be there! […at least in spirit]

24. J

November 23rd, 2009 at 8:56 pm

CONGRATS Jas!!! Very cool!!! Cheering you on now! It was great seeing you doing your thing on Sat. πŸ™‚

25. Tina dela Rosa

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Congratulations! What an honor! I know you will inspire your entire audience.

26. Tiffany

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Congratualtions on having your photos in the book and being a platform speaker! I’m super proud of all you have accomplished…you’re a true motivation Jas! Fabulous!

27. megmanionsilliker

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:19 pm

i want to be at wppi so badly. but alas i don’t see how i can swing it. i will be cheerleading you from boston!! thanks for the book recommendations – i’ve been looking for some new reads.

28. Bree

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Congrats on EVERYTHING! You’re an amazing person and you deserve every bit of happiness & success life gives you.

29. Kelsey Bigelow

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Congrats! Can’t wait to hear you speak in March when I make my way to my first WPPI conference!

30. Trude

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Congrats on the cover and speaking!! I have a good feeling it won’t be an empty room. πŸ˜‰ I loved "March" too, so moving. My recent obsession is the Outlander series – if you like historical fiction, its a must!

31. holl

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:05 pm

how could i get tickets? I’m vegas bound in march…i’d love to see you! You’d be my first photo.speaker!

32. Jeni

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Your worth the early wake up call!! I’ll see you there for sure.

33. imthiaz houseman

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:06 pm

what amazing news! you deserve this so much. congrats Jasmine. πŸ™‚

34. anna brewer

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:21 pm

eeeek!!! SO excited! i will be there!! πŸ™‚

35. Naomi

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Congrats! I would totally be there if I could go to the convention. Hoping to get there in 2011! Good luck!

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I’ll probably be sitting outside the doors to where you’ll be speaking an hour early just to get a seat…

37. Rebekah Tillotson

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:46 pm

I’m praying and saving up to go, Jasmine! If I can’t, there’s always another year!!! <3 And our Cameras and Cupcakes workshop πŸ˜‰

38. jasmine johnson

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:52 pm

you have absolutely ZERO chance of speaking to a room of empty chairs. you could give your presentation at 5:15 and we’d all still be there!

39. Kodi

November 23rd, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Eee! Now I really hope I’m going!

November 23rd, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Speaking in a room full of empty chairs? You? Yeah, sure. You realize youΒ΄re the Oprah Winfrey of photography, donΒ΄t you? πŸ™‚ I want to buy everything you mention in your blog. IΒ΄m buying all books.

41. Nancy Ramos

November 23rd, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Totally trilled you are going to be one of WPPI speakers. Still working out finances but when there is a will….

42. karen (Mikols) Bonar

November 23rd, 2009 at 11:50 pm

you should also read ‘hug your customers’ … i couldn’t put it DOWN!

43. Dan Lanning

November 24th, 2009 at 12:14 am

congrats on speaking at WPPI! Hope we’ll see you there!

44. Meg

November 24th, 2009 at 12:30 am

What!!! OMG congrats on the platform honor!!!!! you will blow everyone way πŸ™‚

45. MM

November 24th, 2009 at 12:39 am

You can bet Justin & I will be there with J* t-shirts and pom-poms as well!! Maybe the three of us can form a pyramid. Ready?? OK!!

46. Lindsi

November 24th, 2009 at 1:03 am

I will be in your platform class bright and early…I’d trade a session with you for a "blue hawaiian" any day πŸ˜‰ Can’t wait to meet you!

47. samantha

November 24th, 2009 at 1:15 am

i discovered your blog a few weeks ago and have been coming back every day. you truly inspire me to believe and keep going. you rock! much love from texas.

48. s h e r r y

November 24th, 2009 at 1:33 am

Wish I could make it to WPPI this year, but can’t skip school for that long! :-] Would love to see (hear??) you speak one day!

49. anda

November 24th, 2009 at 1:38 am

congratulations, Jasmine!! you are beyond deserving of this honor. if i am able to attend wppi this year, i’ll not only be there with pom-poms, but i just might choreograph a kick-line routine as well πŸ™‚

50. Erin Z.

November 24th, 2009 at 1:46 am

Awesome about the book… I think we have the same sofa, if the book photo was taking on your sofa. How funny!

51. Harmony Loves

November 24th, 2009 at 1:50 am

Yea! Shoot, they should’ve had you speaking three years ago. It took them this long? Shame on them! πŸ˜‰

52. Linda Sherrill

November 24th, 2009 at 1:51 am

None of this is coincidence! You deserve every bit of it and I appreciate the book recommendations too!

53. Brandi Welch

November 24th, 2009 at 1:52 am

Umm I’m thinking they put you at 8AM because they know EVERYONE will get up to see YOU speak…and once out of bed and hearing your motivational speaking they will feel refreshed for the rest of the day and not crawl back in bed! haha

54. brittney hale

November 24th, 2009 at 2:00 am

oh i so badly hope i can attend this year… if for nothing else but to hear you speak!!!

55. kelly beane

November 24th, 2009 at 2:32 am

I am so excited! I’m there, no doubt… I can’t wait!

56. Beria Charles

November 24th, 2009 at 2:35 am

First time leaving you a comment, but I made an effort with my broken english to say that YOU DESERVE IT SO MUCH! Congrats! I dont know if I can make to Vegas next year, when you come to Boston I can even wake up whenever and cheer for you too!

57. feuza

November 24th, 2009 at 2:39 am

hey J* keep on shinning, that is so amazing, I have not been to WPPI and feel like I would be eating alone for sure if I did go, I am sure you will rock it!

58. Vanessa Tuau

November 24th, 2009 at 2:48 am

Thank you for the book recommendations – I love checking them out – your taste is terrific:) Vanessa (Australia0

59. Tara Templeton

November 24th, 2009 at 2:50 am

I am SO excited to hear you speak at WPPI! I’m even dragging my husband in to see you because he hears about how AWESOME you are all the time! I’ll be there with bells on!!!

60. Temecula Wedding Photographer

November 24th, 2009 at 3:23 am

Congrats! I’ll be there…. Just attended a workshop at Mike Colon’s house and he had nice things to say about you. I didn’t realize you once modeled for him!

61. Rory Mole

November 24th, 2009 at 3:25 am

Hi there Jasmine, Thanks for the handy info regarding the books…. I’ll make a point of having a look around our Exclusive bookstore here in Claremont, Cape Town to see if they have them.

Hey… when are you going to come to Cape Town to speak? I’d be there in a shot……

Blessings to you,

62. Holli True

November 24th, 2009 at 3:31 am

Congrats on so many things, Jasmine! Holy moly! I don’t know how you manage to do it all. πŸ™‚ I am so going to be at the 8am presentation at WPPI! This is my first year going to WPPI and I am beyond thrilled!! πŸ™‚ Will you be doing another sunrise shoot? (Please say yes!!)

63. Diandra

November 24th, 2009 at 3:45 am

So #1… Amazing Jas! So super cool! #2… I’m sitting here with Javier’s son and his girlfriend and they totally know JD’s dad! He coaches them in tennis at the high school! Such a small world! I soooo want to go to WPPI this year… I was debating but now I really wan tto make it happen! So I can sit next to JD with my pom poms and t-shirt πŸ™‚ Love you!

64. Noelle McCoy

November 24th, 2009 at 4:12 am

I’ll be there (as I’m sure 10-billion other people will)!!! J*, you are blessed!

65. Magalie

November 24th, 2009 at 4:58 am

WPPI: so awesome! Congrats. And thanks for the book suggestion. I was jonesin’ for a good book just on the day you posted about "People of the Book." Loved it. Can’t wait to read "March."

66. Aaron Vazquez

November 24th, 2009 at 5:30 am

That is so cool. congrats jasmine. i admire you a lot and look how far you made it. you deserve it :- P

67. jenny tarau

November 24th, 2009 at 6:09 am

i likey.

68. Stephanie Rose

November 24th, 2009 at 7:18 am

That’s so awesome! Congrats. : )

The last picture makes me laugh out loud. For real.

69. Michael Costa

November 24th, 2009 at 8:31 am

Sweet, you’re going to kill it!

70. Paul

November 24th, 2009 at 9:46 am

He he… funny pic but congrats Jasmine… your going from strength to strength!! You deserve it your work is great.

71. Leanne Stamatellos

November 24th, 2009 at 11:28 am

I’ll be there listening to you that’s for sure – coming all the way from Australia!

72. arielle joy

November 24th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Oh I wish I were going! Would love to hear you speak. You are such an inspiration to me!!

73. crystal

November 24th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Empty chairs? LoL, doubt it – I am very excited. I made my schedule and I will be there bright and early. Can’t wait to hear you speak! Happy Thanksgiving week to you and JD.

74. Julie Massie

November 24th, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I’ll be there! JD will have a little competition in the cheering section. I plan on busting out the "spirit sprinkles." BRING IT ON, JD! ; )

75. Anh

November 24th, 2009 at 10:15 pm

‘Because that’s what books are to me, a way to live in someone else’s life and dissect the pretty words that describe every scene.’ ….. your blog is as what you’ve described … for me πŸ™‚

November 24th, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I live here!!! Do you know how excited I am knowing you’ll be in my hometown speaking?!?! Woot Woot!!

77. Wendy

November 25th, 2009 at 3:00 am

I absolutely love reading your blog. If you need a break, you read a book. When I need a break, I read your blog. You make me laugh!

78. Dee

November 25th, 2009 at 3:38 am

I am totally the same way. There is nothing like a good book to take your troubles far, far away! Congrats on being a speaker at WPPI! Well deserved indeed!

79. Grace Tan

November 25th, 2009 at 8:39 am

Hi Jasmine, I’ll be flying from Malaysia to Las Vegas to attend WPPI. I am so excited about it, and have been following your blog for years. I’d love to meet you in person. I’ll definitely be there!

80. Sandra Regier

November 25th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Your kidding right??? I flew from Canada to Chicago to see you on the Free to Suceed tour…. I’ll be in one of those chairs in Vegas baby!! Can’t wait to see you again and hear all your fabulous and funny advice!

81. Life with Kaishon

November 25th, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I am so happy for how far you have come. What a joy for you!

82. michelle c.

November 25th, 2009 at 6:12 pm

ohmygodohmygodohmygod… I am SOOOOOO gonna try my hardest to be in that Vegas seminar of yours!!!! I’ll be lined up outside, waiting for the doors to open!

83. Otto Rascon

November 25th, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Great book selection… more books to feed my Kindle obsession. And congrats on making the cover of Wedding Wisdom. You rock!

84. Blair Van Bussel

November 25th, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Are you kidding me Jasmine? I am going to make sure to steal the benadryl out of your purse so that I have a CHANCE of getting in to hear you speak! yay!

85. Katelyn Fraser Photo

November 25th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Oooh, I’ll be there, can’t wait!!

86. cassandra m

November 26th, 2009 at 3:48 am

Ahhhh. Congrats on the cover image. I want this book cause its so PRETTY :)) What an well deserved honor for your images. thanks for sharing the other books too. I am reading the 4 books of the Twilight series right now. GOOD!

87. Tracy Jane

November 27th, 2009 at 9:58 am

What super great news re speaker. Just goes to show that your mum is always right! Didn’t you blog once that she taught you that "No one can out give GOD" ? Our Heavenly Father is simply giving back 10 fold what you have given to so many – myself included over here in Australia πŸ™‚

88. Chandler

November 27th, 2009 at 8:24 pm

amazing work as always. I love the grooms expression for the first look.

89. kat hanafin

November 28th, 2009 at 9:21 am

so excited to see you speak πŸ™‚
    you are the first event marked down on my march calendar within the dates labeled: "Vegas, baby"

90. Emilie

November 30th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I hope to be there to listen to you!! πŸ™‚

91. emily

November 30th, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing you speak in Vegas! πŸ™‚

92. aLi

December 1st, 2009 at 5:13 am

*Cue the 80’s wedding song* "Iiii-Iiii-Iiiiii-Iiiiii-I……..I will be here…" but there in Vegas of course…I mean…dang it! you know what I mean πŸ˜‰