How Can I Find Inspiration?

I once heard Inspiration described as a lover who visits when he/she pleases…and on those cold, lonely nights, we wish Inspiration would visit to warm our beds and make us feel less alone. I couldn’t agree more. And riiiiight about now my mother is sending me a warning email about the perils of blogging about lovers. She’s praying for us all.

In seriousness, I crave inspiration the way any creative might, but try as I might, I can’t make it come to me. I must wait.

I read an article explaining how inspiration and/or flashes of genius are actually rooted in science. Because of this, we can create a system and life that allows ourselves to have better ideas more often.

The article stated everything you’ve read, tasted, viewed, experienced and learned over the years is stored in your brain as unrelated connections. A section of your brain called the superior anterior temporal gyrus (right side, just behind your ear) helps connect the dots and puts them together into a cohesive idea.

However, if you’re stressed all the time or have created a crazy busy schedule with little to no margin your brain has a harder time looking for those dots because it is so focused on what you have going on. When your body can relax, your creativity can shine as your creativity is really your brain connecting the dots and presenting solutions.

This is why many people get their best ideas in the shower. They are completely disconnected — no phones, no email, no computers — which allows the brain to get to work.

Liene says if you want better ideas in 2013, set a resolution to regularly do something out of your norm. Read better books and read them more often. Go to museums. Take your daughter out for ice cream. Watch well-made films. Go to a comedy show. Go for a walk. Go for a swim. Learn to cook (I’m working on this one!). Take up knitting.

You can do it alone or make it a date with your spouse, kids, friends. The trick is to get out of your usual routine and allow yourself to have fun and relax.

Making time to take care of yourself is better in the long run. I’m slowly learning to let go of the urge to stay busy and, instead, simply be. After all, if I want Inspiration to visit, I should probably be in bed ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Kristin

January 3rd, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Love this post. When I first began I looked for inspiration in other photographers work, but I quickly learned that I needed to look other places…things totally unrelated provide the most inspiration now.

2. Tricia

January 3rd, 2013 at 4:22 pm

This is brilliant! I need to add a few more things on to my resolution list is seems. Thank you!

3. liz hickey

January 3rd, 2013 at 4:24 pm

What a fantastic post. My best ideas come in the moments between sleeping and waking. For a couple of years I used to take a notebook and write at this time and many ideas I am working on now have come from those notebooks. Have you ever read a book or followed a process called ‘the Artists Way’ by Julia Cameron? I found this an amazing process – taking myself (and my special people) on all kinds of dates to all kinds of places… for the soul!

4. monica Hellem

January 3rd, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Thank you!! I really needed to read something like that. I feel so lost when it comes to ideas this days..Iยดll try to enjoy my lazy days ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Kelly Jung

January 3rd, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Hi Jasmine!

A friend of mine recommended that I follow your blog. I am looking to transition out of my IT job and into photography, my passion, this summer. I want to be home more with my kids and truly feel this is the best way to make it happen. I am excited to follow your blog and learn from you. I know I have a long road ahead of me in building my business and clientele, but I am really excited about it.

PS – I linked my website, which I am building this week while off work, so the link won’t work just yet.

6. Tammy

January 3rd, 2013 at 5:34 pm

As usual, a great article! You’re a great writer; I enjoy your blog!

7. alfagetti

January 3rd, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Great article! I’d also like to recommend a wonderful book I read years ago, and continue to refer back to, called "The Creative Habit – Learn It And Use It For Life" by choreographer Twyla Tharp. Excellent read.

8. B

January 3rd, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I love this! Thanks, Hammie!

9. Justine Cirullo

January 3rd, 2013 at 8:25 pm

AMEN! to being in bed! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for such great thoughts!

10. jen

January 3rd, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I know you like to read, and I just finished this one over Christmas vacation…I good inspiring read and helps you focus on how to be inspired

11. Fellow Photographer from Halifax

January 3rd, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hi Jasmine! I’ve set my resolution to think outside my comfort zone! You are very inspirational and I truly wish you a wonderful 2013!

12. Smarty pants

January 4th, 2013 at 1:16 am

My superior anterior temporal gyrus is right behind my left ear, eh? Wishing I coulda copied off you during anatomy ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Leah

January 4th, 2013 at 6:45 am

soooo what if I shower with my phone…. I’m doomed! ha loved this. Thanks for taking the time to do to help so many others! Happy New Year!

14. Ardean

January 4th, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thank you for sharing this. It is definitely something I need to focus on this year and get my creativity back on!

15. Hannah Taylor

January 4th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Thank you for your post. It’s very encouraging! It made me think of a scene in "Eat. Pray. Love" when they talk about the art of doing nothing. It’s wierd to think that sometimes it’s okay to just let your mind soak.

16. Leslie

January 4th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

so true! or at the crack of dawn when you wake up and can’t sleep … it seems I get the best ideas in the black of morning before the sun is up and the world awakes.

17. Alexis

January 4th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Very creative post ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Neta

January 4th, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Love it! Very inspiring post! Did you wrote this in the shower? Thx for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Ashley Christine

January 4th, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Perfectly timed post; I needed this reminder! I just got back from the beach where it was just time for me & the Lord, and I realized I need to just "be" once in a while & not plow through life 1000mph. Thanks J for the reminder!

20. FALCON

January 5th, 2013 at 1:39 am

I was just watching an interview between Danielle La Porte and Gabrielle Bernstein, and Gabrielle said the best thing for creativity is meditation. It makes sense!

21. Rob Holley

January 6th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

You nailed it. Let it flow and it will find you. The same with love. It cannot be forced.

22. Leaves of Grass Photography

January 8th, 2013 at 2:27 am

Thank you for this reminder Jasmine. xo – Pamela

23. jen kessler

January 11th, 2013 at 9:04 pm

The book The Artist’s Way is a great book that talks much about these same things and encourages "artist dates" such as going for ice cream, swimming, etc.

24. Stephanie K

January 12th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who has some of my best ideas in the shower. ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Jeff Fedor

January 14th, 2013 at 12:14 am

Great words Jasmine Inspiration comes from within we only have to find a way to listen

26. Carrie

January 14th, 2013 at 8:52 am

Such a cute image Jasmine!

27. Tiffany

January 18th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Wonderful. Genius! So (currently) up my alley. It’s so reassuring to know that us "creatives" are often all in the same head-space.

Thank you for sharing Jasmine!

28. Wm III

January 22nd, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for the encouraging post. I like Jack London’s quote regarding inspiration, "You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
    Sometimes that club is letting yourself relax and surrounding yourself with inspiring things.

29. Ana

January 25th, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I’m one of those people that waits for inspiration to ‘strike’ and, well, there must be a better way around that – I feel this might be it ๐Ÿ˜€ .