I Rest My Case

Photography

JD: Can you please rinse out the bowl after you eat cereal?
Me: I don’t know what you’re talking about.
JD: You never rinse your bowl…
Me: But I don’t use a bowl…I use A MUG. Big difference. Huge. And you shouldn’t use the word ‘never’…
JD: Jasmine, please don’t start.
Me: But I might get confused in the future if, say, I eat cereal from my mug and then don’t feel like washing it because it’s not a bowl.

This conversation just happened. And it made me feel very legal-ish. I wanted to add Your Honor somewhere in the conversation, but I left it out because that’s just weird. I mean, who was I even talking to? I, apparently, thought I sounded so Law&Order…and got carried away with myself. Next thing you know, I’ll be asking Elliott Gould for evidence.

This morning I woke a watched a portion of the creativeLIVE rewatch that aired the wedding photography course I taught a couple months ago. It was the first time I had seen any portion of course. I turned to JD every couple minutes and asked, I did not just say that, did I?!? Uhhh, wow. Thank you for still being my friend. I annoyed myself, so how many of you stayed with me during the five-day is beyond my comprehension, but appreciated nevertheless.

creativeLIVE has been rebroadcasting free portions of various online courses, but they’re also offering all the courses for a year-end sale. Included are many amazing instructors so if you’re interested in video, studio lighting, children’s photography, experimental portraiture, or finding your vision, definitely take a look at what’s available.

The best part of this story is that whist having the conversation with JD, he rinsed the mug (See how easy this is?!) and placed it in the dishwasher.

I REST MY CASE.

comments

1. Jennifer Jar

December 15th, 2010 at 9:37 pm

And now I have a huge craving for cereal lol.

What is your favorite cereal Jasmine???

2. Melanie Molloy

December 15th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I think this creativeLive course packaged might be the second best Christmas/Birthday combo gift I ever received. The first was my iPod. Nothing can ever top that! My mom just bought me the CL courses and I am frantically d/ling them all. Can’t wait to catch up on all the other courses and rewatch yours, Jasmine. Merry Christmas!

3. feuza

December 15th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

what you talking about, you rocked it! remember being you, just the real you all the time

4. David

December 15th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Oddly enough, this must be one of those characteristics common to the female sex. Neither my wife, nor my daughters can manage to rinse their bowls (or mugs, whichever the case may be) out when they’re through. They just end up on the counter or in the sink, left for me to do.

I have to admit I felt a huge sigh of relief. Turns out, I’m not the only one faced with this dilemma. Please let JD know he’s not alone. 🙂

We’ll start a group: Bowl/Mug Washers Anonymous.

5. Deney

December 15th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

well, they are very different so you got him there..

6. Roger

December 15th, 2010 at 10:06 pm

The CL session was great Jasmine. You came across as high energy and super professional. No need to have any regrets.

7. Mona Alicia

December 15th, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I just want to say that I love how you start out your posts with something seemingly random but manage to pull it back around to what the post is really about. Love that, you could give lessons on it, it makes the posts much more personal which I’m sure is not by accident and instead totally by design. And thanks again for the Creative Live course, I downloaded it and loved every minute of it.

8. Kathleen Frank

December 15th, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Too funny! Seriously, as I read the conversation, I just knew why you almost became a lawyer!

9. Vallord

December 15th, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Having been there during that Creativelive crazy time, you were a champ! There was a LOT going on around you and you stayed focused and professional. Even if your photos hadn’t turned out, it was definitely a clinic on staying cool under pressure and getting the job done.

The photos were amazing and your sessions were great because if you were ever frustrated or frightened, you were honest about it, corrected and kept on going. That’s what it’s about in my opinion.

10. Dan

December 15th, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Just bought the whole creativeLIVE set and started with your course of course! I love your style and love learning from you.

11. val lord

December 15th, 2010 at 11:59 pm

You, my friend, were a Creativelive ninja. I was volunteering for that shoot and that place was CRAZY. You handled the chaos like a champ. If nothing else, it was a great clinic on how to stay calm and remain professional under pressure. If you were ever frustrated, you were open about that, corrected and rolled on. I’ve been on other shoots where the photographer didn’t always smile in the face of adversity.

I’m sure all of us would cringe if we had to watch ourselves. Don’t think twice about it, you were awesome.

12. Sachin Khona

December 16th, 2010 at 12:09 am

Ha! Sweet vid! Thanks for sharing this J*

I’m with JD tho, sorry 😉 ha!

Have a great day Jas!

13. Dawn & Michael Mitchell

December 16th, 2010 at 12:16 am

Oh great, just when I thought that I finally had Dawn putting her way half empty pop cans, now she is going to get more empowered to make me do it! 😉

14. Julie O'Dell

December 16th, 2010 at 2:25 am

Reminds me that the CreativeLive you were on was AWESOME…not awesome but truly really and over the top AWESOME!!!!

15. naomi chokr

December 16th, 2010 at 4:02 am

Oh wow! I’m thinking about getting it all. I would love the zack arias class and tamara lackey too.

I love the conversation you and JD had. I find that my husband and I do the same thing…. I always try to prove that I’m right even though Im so wrong. It’s a lot of fun!!

16. Edouard Montfort

December 16th, 2010 at 7:21 am

Hello Jasmine,

I saw the video on CreativeLive of Laura’s wedding preparation… it’s really interesting !!
    See you soon,
    BRAVO

Take care, EDOUARD

17. Ginger Murray

December 16th, 2010 at 8:46 am

"And you shouldn’t use the word ‘never.’"
    HAHA– Aaron and I use "never," and "always," and the other one will be like, "Oh really? ALWAYS, huh?"

18. Romonia Isaac

December 16th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

You were NOT annoying in the least!! Hilarious and informative would be way better words to use to describe yourself! Oh yeah and super stylish!!! 🙂 The CreativeLive course was amazing and it was a great experience to watch via live stream! Big thanks again to Chase Jarvis [for getting you to do it] & the guys over at CreativeLive for continuing to inspire us by having programs like yours and tons of other talented photographers and graphic designers and people!! Jasmine, don’t worry you are not the only one who likes to use your technical terms…i.e. Mug v. Bowl! I do it all the time!!! 🙂 Happy Thursday!!

19. Rich Park

December 16th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

your creative live course was so awesome! my wife and i are so thankful that you taught the course!

20. Sara Lando

December 16th, 2010 at 6:34 pm

are you being serious? You totally rocked at creative live!
    I stayed up all night (Italy is several time zones ahead of Seattle) watching a strangers’ wedding shot by a complete stranger all excited and:
    a) I don’t do weddings. I always make sure I leave early
    b) I’m not a wedding photographer
    c) I really like to sleep.

And all of this just because of how awesome you were. Give yourself more credit!
    Also: Does the spoon properly fit in a mug? I’d end up catapulting the cereals around…

21. Lin And Jirsa Photographer

December 16th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

It was a great experience watching you on Creative Live! Keep on doing your thing and being you!

22. Gladys Hedaya

December 16th, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Hey Jasmine,
    I purchased the year end sale last week. LOVING your five day workshop….Your personality is fantastic!!!!

23. Michelle Hires

December 16th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

This conversation sounded eerily familiar, you’re not spying on me, are you??

24. Jenni L

December 17th, 2010 at 1:27 am

I always leave half full glasses around the house-drives Bart crazy. 🙂 You were great on CreativeLIVE! I learned so much. Especially loved the information about shooting details.

25. amanda thiessen

December 17th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

youre awesome!!

26. Emily Crall

December 17th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

You’ve got GREAT arms, girl!

27. Dawney

December 18th, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Just know this- the workshop you did on creativeLIVE was life changing for me. I do realize that it sounds like a lotta super cheese- but it really did. You did a great job! 🙂

28. Krista

December 19th, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Way too funny… Silly man!

29. Melinda Leal

December 21st, 2010 at 3:10 pm

HAHA….I always look at myself in pictures and video and wonder "what was i thinking!" "Why would I say that!?" ….just so you know I bought the course and you did great!!!

30. angel

December 24th, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Geez…I haven’t been able to follow your blog as much as I like (because my cell phone makes it hard and I don’t get to my computer often…it’s a conscious effort…) but I’m having a blast right now catching up. Keeping it Real, Jasmine! xoxo

31. Kami Van Slyke

December 30th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Oh. My. Word. Tyler is always on my case for saying ‘never’ or ‘always’. So, I guess saying that he’s "always" on my case would be an exaggeration. 😉