Kisses and Disses : Acupuncture + Ezekiel Bread

It just got to a point where I walked around like I was auditioning for a remake of The Golden Girls. You know, the one where they invite their Latina neighbor to come live with them. I walked around with my hand to my lower back and my face scrunched like I was very focussed on the next step. Slowwwwwly. Painfully. Where’s Rose when you need her?!

My mother in law, upon hearing of my back aches, suggested I try acupuncture. This is also the same lady who harbors Chinese herbs in her cabinet like China was disappearing. Forever. And guess what? I MARRIED HER SON. Who also collects said herbs. Please don’t get him started on ginger root. Where was I? Oh, yes. Acupuncture. So my mother in law suggests her acupuncturist and JD sets up an appointment.

There I am laying on my stomach with, oh, like a thousand needles in my back and I think to myself, Why didn’t I just rub the ginger root on my back like JD suggested?! Then…then! Then the acupuncturist–who doesn’t speak english very well but whispers soothingly–hooks the needle to a stimulation machine. You know, the one that jolts your muscles with ELECTRIC CURRENT.

I get home and tell JD of the ordeal. Then he apologizes because he sent me to the wrong acupuncturist. The one his mother never suggested. So this is the part of the Golden Girls episode where Blanche and Rose sit in the kitchen, toast with a cup of coffee, and the laughing track fills the air. Except in my life we sit in the kitchen and toast with ginger root tea.

And this brings me to another installment of Kisses and Disses

This week’s DISSES go to…
*Acupuncture, at least of the stimulation variation.
*The Phoenix Suns. They’re kinda slowing down the pace for the Lakers to win the NBA Finals. Let’s get it together, boys.
*Pictureless frames. Yes. Yes, I have frames in my house without pictures in them. HUNG ON THE WALL. Please don’t get me started.

This week’s KISSES go to…
*Acupuncture. I found a new acupuncturist and so far he’s been great. I’m still debating if it’s a good fit for me, but I’m willing to try.
*My mother in law. I love her Chinese heritage, but I love more that she’s passed her best qualities to her son.
*Ezekiel Raisin Bread. This organic, sprouted grain bread is delicious and a healthy breakfast option…and doesn’t taste like cardboard.Happy Monday!

1. Cherisse

May 24th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

OMG Jasmine! LmBO The wrong acupuncturist huh? Sounds more like an I love Lucy episode!!

2. Heather Disarro

May 24th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I’m a new reader, but am now hooked! I’ve always loved your photograhy, but your writing style is hilarious, and I love the Disses & Kisses thing.

p.s. I heart Ezekiel bread…the texture is chewy and perfect, no?

3. Chris Gosnell

May 24th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I know what you’re talking about with the electric current acupuncture! I had some of the worst pain in my life at the hand of one of those ladies. AND I PAID HER TO DO IT!!

4. Erin Hernandez-Reisner

May 24th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Oh yeah, I was reading your blog getting myself caught up on all the Star has to offer (it seems as though you have now replaced my newpaper) when I saw your new post. Yippe I though I get the new one!!!
    And at sometime today I am going to post and talk all about breaking a lense…That stinks!!!

I thought that I was the only person that compared life to the occasional Golden Girl episode.

The vibration…I don’t know about that! An acupuncturist, sign me up.

Have a great week.

5. Brandy Frank

May 24th, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I would have been wishing for the ginger root too. 🙂 Just bought a loaf of Cheese Pepper Bread (after sampling a ton of bread) it tastes kinda like beef jerky, in an odd way (but quite tasty) love me some bread!!

6. Brandy Frank

May 24th, 2010 at 4:40 pm

7. Megan (Best of Fates)

May 24th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I’ve never heard of acupuncture involving electric currents, but I’m horrified on your behalf!

8. Natalie Tuggle

May 24th, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Yes! I love the Ezekiel bread with the raisens!! Your "Kisses and Disses" are always to fun.

9. Sue McFarland

May 24th, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Oh My! That sounds a little scary!! Hopefully you won’t feel any ill effects from the first guy!! Here’s hoping that your back feels better soon. Good mother-in-laws are wonderful. I will have to try the bread, it sounds yummy!!

10. Meredith Perdue

May 24th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I had Ezekial Raisin Bread for breakfast this very morning! It’s so delicious, isn’t it?!

11. Jen Baer

May 24th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Hope you’re feelin’ better soon Jasmine! I always LOVE reading your blog and seeing new shoots. 😀

I heart Ezekiel Bread too, although it’s about the only healthy thing I eat-lol.

Take care and do some stretches! My back kills when I let my hamstrings tighten up too much.

12. Gabriela Fuentes

May 24th, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I feel your pain Jasmine. After a long shoot, I sometimes feel I need a chinese doctor. A few years ago, I got such a terrible back ache that I could barely walk, so my mom took me to a Chinese doctor, who spoke little Spanish (I was still in Ecuador), and he put the kind of electric current you are describing, and after several visits I was much better, and I have never had such terrible back aches ever again. So good luck, and I sincerely wish you feel better.

13. Julie Renee

May 24th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I’m so sorry your acupuncture was so horrendous! I’ve considered it before, but now I’m not so sure…

And I’m a BIG fan of ezekiel breads…yumm!

14. Dee

May 24th, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I hope your backache disappears soon.

ps. I love Ezekiel anything! 🙂

May 24th, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Ahh, I’m getting back aches too! I think I’ll stick to pilates for awhile longer though and see if that helps. I’m allergic to needles!

16. sarah

May 24th, 2010 at 6:45 pm

the golden girl references have secured your place in my cool book for life.

17. kate callahan

May 24th, 2010 at 7:13 pm

mmmm … LOVE that bread! And I’m tellin’ yah … Egoscue. Try it! You’ll be doing back flips with a camera in both hands : )

18. kelly marie

May 24th, 2010 at 8:36 pm

You’re not the only one with pictureless frames on your walls! Let’s form a support group.

19. Paola

May 24th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

And people thought of me as strange because I used to watch Golden Girls, like religiously on syndicated tv when I was in college, every night. HA people! See, it’s perfectly normal!! Please let us know how your treatments go because I suffer from back aches due to the epidural shot I received a year and a half ago. Or if all I have to do is rub some ginger root on my back, that’ll be great too!

20. Pamela Topping

May 24th, 2010 at 9:14 pm

The Ezekiel Raisin Bread is a great find. The original version isn’t too tasty lol. And I just started acupuncture! I found someone in LA with all 5 star reviews. They have 26 reviews total (all 5 stars), so I figure that’s an amazing success rate. Keep us updated on how it’s working for you.

21. Michelle Guzman

May 24th, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I literally laughed out loud when I read that you had gone to the wrong acupuncture person. I hope it wasn’t a bad experience, though. Hope you’re feeling much better!

22. Jennifer Sando

May 24th, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Hi Jasmine, first time posting here. Isn’t it funny the things we are game to try when our health is at stake? I am not brave enough for acupuncture – yet! Just wanted to suggest homeopathy for next time. Maybe. Is that big over there? (I’m in Australia.) Cheers!

23. Steff

May 25th, 2010 at 12:25 am

haha! i’ve got the frame thing going on too. their on display in the entry way. just recently removed the red clearance tags so i am at least moving forward.

24. sherry boles

May 25th, 2010 at 12:30 am

I’m so happy to know that I’m not the only one with pictureless frames on my wall…I thought it was just me! I’m going to fill them…someday!!

25. Amy Arrington Photography

May 25th, 2010 at 12:50 am

I’m so sorry about your back-I suggest physical therapy. It worked for me! And, I too heart the Golden Girls! Haha!

26. Jenne Yun

May 25th, 2010 at 2:16 am

Hey Jas… just wanted to comment that I do acupuncture in my practice and I use electo-stimulation as well. Works really well for any of my athletes with muscle/trigger point pain! Sorry to hear about your bad experience… with the right practitioner, it can work!

27. laetitia

May 25th, 2010 at 2:53 am

If you are in the mood for organic and change for body, I totally advise you to drink … Synergy Kombucha … first taste is strange but after you will not be able to not drink 1 a day !
    This said, good luck with your back 🙁

28. Jenny

May 25th, 2010 at 3:58 am

Hey Jasmine, I have been reading your blog for a while now….love your photos and the blogs you write about your life experience is so fun. In regards to acupuncture if you are still not sure I have a great recommendation. Her name is Shannon Hennigar and she works at Ando & Aston Physical Therapy and hey you can always come in for PT as well, if your back still hurts. I am a little bias because I work there, but she is amazing. My back completely went out and she put 2 needles in and after having them in for a few mins my back felt better. I mean I was actually crooked…I kid you not. Well anyways here is the website if you are interested. Hope your back feels better!

29. Kathleen

May 25th, 2010 at 4:40 am

Keep with the accupuncture weekly. It’s going to help big time. Trust me. I had it 6 years -various reasons. Now in rural town. Miss it.

30. Frances Santin

May 25th, 2010 at 4:47 am

Hey Jasmine! So I’ve been reading your blog for ages! I ran track the same time Brianna did. Anyways just wanted to give my two cents on your acupuncture experience. So sorry, hopefully your next experience will be a good one. I have a new found respect for this kind of treatment. It’s amazing, throughout my track career, he has been so helpful. So funny how your fiance reminds me of mine. He is Japanese American…..My fiance is an acupuncturist, and loves needle chickens. If the next acupuncturist doesn’t work out, let me know and he can give you a treatment. Look him up on Yelp-Joshua Jones Acupuncture. I continue to follow your blog religiously!

31. amy t schubert

May 25th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Go Suns!

32. cassandra-m

May 25th, 2010 at 5:53 pm

simply 🙂

33. Brandi Welles

May 26th, 2010 at 6:55 am

Ummm, my day would literally cease to exist without my morning dose of Raisin EZ bread! Have you tried their yummy tortillas? Fabulous with fajitas!

34. clippingimages

May 26th, 2010 at 8:15 am

nice:) thanks for sharing…….

35. Karen (Mikols) Bonar

May 26th, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I thought you were going to tell us this was for your sister’s shower …. but I know you’ll work up something just as fabulous for that, too! 🙂

36. Christine

May 26th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!! I can’t even believe what I just read!! You also have pictureless frames on your wall!! LOL!! so do I, and it’s my nemesis ~ especially being a photographer and all….needless to say I have to explain the dilema to everyone who stops in for a visit! lol! sooo glad to hear that I’m not alone in this area! I just can’t decide what I want to put in them…I have so many favorites!! hahaaaa, love your blog posts Jasmine 😉

37. Christine

May 26th, 2010 at 8:52 pm

PS….i also agree with Laetitia about the Synergy Kombucha drink…i tried it the other day and it’s surprisingly good!

38. Dina

May 26th, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I have Ezekiel bread every morning, made into delicious french toast and smothered with berries and honey! It is the best organic bread out there!

p.s. Go Suns! 😉

39. Tina

May 28th, 2010 at 6:58 pm

What?!?! Luck the Fakers! Let’s get NASH-ty! Go Suns! Just kiddin. I don’t even watch basketball.

40. Sarah

June 6th, 2010 at 1:43 am

I live on Ezekiel Bread. I generally get the low sodium one and spread some all natural peanut butter on it to get my good fat for the day. Love the raisin bread version too!

41. Truc

June 7th, 2010 at 6:08 am

Jasmine, you are hilarious! Pictureless frames??