Obsession, of the Paper Kind

Personal

Obsession: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea. I wouldn’t say I’m obsessed with paper goods. Really. I just like everything about the feel, color, and smell. Yes, the smell. There’s just something about walking into a stationary store and feeling at one with my penmanship self.

I love writing—and receiving—letters, so in staying true to this compulsion, I ensure everything that leaves my office is accompanied by a hand-written note. When I was a manager for Nordstrom, it was company policy to contact our dedicated clients via hand-written notes. I guess the philosophy of personal touch stuck with me because I feel like I write notes all day!

From the inception of my business, I invested in personalized paper goods and I felt like it could be used a point of differentiation. I still subscribe to this thought. Now that I’m currently undergoing a rebranding, one of the first things I had to do was reinvest in paper goods. When I spoke to Allison of Sadori Studio, I told her exactly what I wanted: clean, simple, modern. What she produced was a card with rounded edges, my logo, and a black ribbon band. On the inside is personalized signature and contact information. It’s perfect for what I need and want!

If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you’ll know that my paper good obsession reaches out to the more ghetto fabulous regions: Post-It Notes. Also known as the step-child of the paper world, Post-Its are my best friend. I can’t tell you how much I really use them because one might think I hoard cats in my home and hide croutons under my bed, but suffice to know it’s a lot. I use them for grocery lists, to-do lists, Oh-I-like-this-song notes, reminders, I Love You notes, postage, Can-you-please-take-out-the-trash notes. Everything. My family and fellow blog readers have been kind in fueling my obsession (much to JD’s chagrin), so here’s proof of a future crazy lady:

And the funny thing is I’m sure I’ll go through all these Post-Its in about a month. Like I said, I’m obsessed.

comments

1. Andrea

May 19th, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Pretty notes! I love the simplicity of black + white.

2. David [C+D]

May 19th, 2008 at 3:39 pm

What? What’s wrong with that obsession??? Cathy and I are preparing our own line of letterpress business cards and thank you cards so believe me, I am 100% supportive of your craziness. Is there any way we could get one of those? 😀

3. David Manning

May 19th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

I’m actually really glad to hear that you have this obsession too! I’ve changed my business cards three times this last year, because they just didn’t represent me. Everyone said I was nuts, but I know that the first thing anyone does when you hand them your business card, is flip it over a few times. My new ones are coming this Wednesday and I’m super excited!

4. jackie wonders

May 19th, 2008 at 4:03 pm

i LOOOOOVE paper too! texture, color, print, weird shapes and sizes- everything. these are the little things that make life fun and quarky. i think it’s an artist thing…

5. leah g

May 19th, 2008 at 4:06 pm

I completely understand. I would say that my addiction to paper started somewhere in childhood when I would visit my mother’s office where her secretary would gift me with a post-it pad or stenographer’s notebook. Now, everytime I see cute stationary or notepaper, it takes everything in me to walk away.

I have the yellow post-its with the flower border. And, to feed your obsession, I just picked up some beautiful black and white brocade thank you notes from Hallmark last weekend. . .

6. Alicia

May 19th, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I LOVE your new cards! Rounded corners are super fabulous! I want one for my album or something. 😉

7. Rachel Dallaire

May 19th, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Love the cards! And my paper obsession has to do with notebooks. I have a wawillion, but always have room for more. 🙂

8. andrea

May 19th, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Love the new brand and notecards jasmine! obviously your not the only one with the paper obsession. im with you on this one! give me a piece of nice new paper and youll find me with it up against my nose! they smell cant get any better!

9. Jane Lok

May 19th, 2008 at 4:49 pm

You’re absolutely right. When I received your note on your gorgeous stationery, it definitely stuck in my mind and continually reminds me of what a fabulous lady you are. =) I love the new logo!

10. dawn B

May 19th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I love paper smell! Do you secretly sniff notebooks, magazines, paper so no one sees you? I DO! Oh, The new and larger size TV Guides have an awesome smell!

11. karlin connell

May 19th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I actually showed my husband this post on your blog because he swears at least once a week that my obsession with Post-Its and all things paper is unhealty:) I love it. Do you get that same excited feeling when you go in a stationary store. I find reasons to need new stuff! But…like you said, we’re obsessed.

12. Shari Barnes

May 19th, 2008 at 4:57 pm

LOVE the new branding!! It just fits your style so well! I also love your paper obsession! I am the SAME way! 😉

13. Paula

May 19th, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Ok, I love this one and I can SO relate. If I had my camera here in my classroom (I know, gasp!) I would take a picture of the clear, plastic, several gallon tub that is completely full of nothing but packages of cute post-it-notes.

14. Danielle S

May 19th, 2008 at 6:58 pm

I am laughing the whole time I am reading this post, because I am the exact same with paper goods! Especially post-its! I also have some of the same ones that you pictured…. great minds think alike….? lol
    ps, love the new branding

15. Furious Photographers

May 19th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

That is one wicked card! I am planning to make new business cards for my wedding photography biz and your simplicity inspires me!

Ciao,

Lawrence

16. Rae Barnes

May 19th, 2008 at 7:34 pm

I am freaking out over your new cards! "LOVE them" is an understatement. 🙂

17. Matthew Saville

May 19th, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Oh boy, you and my fiancee Joy should never meet. You would be like two addicts…

=Matt=

18. Tiffany

May 19th, 2008 at 8:13 pm

hello new cards!!!! I LOVE them! So hip and modern…like you!

19. kelly

May 19th, 2008 at 8:42 pm

i love paper too! and notes, post its, etc. except i don’t have quite the collection you do! LOVE LOVE LOVE your new business card!

20. erin.

May 19th, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Love the cards! So sophicated!! I love the post its too! I am the same way in paper goods stores. Glad to know there are others just like me with their stationary obsession!!

21. Cathy Crawley

May 19th, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Your card is GORGEOUS!!!

22. Jasmine*

May 19th, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Hi friends! Just for clarification, this is my NOTECARD, not a business card…that’s in the works right now! 😉

23. Erin Conrad

May 19th, 2008 at 9:20 pm

oh, i am right there with you girl! in fact, i have almost every single one of those that you have pictured…and the smell, my friends all make fun of me for smelling new paper! you rock.

24. Paul Kremer

May 19th, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Beautiful in its simplicity. I love it!

25. gabriel.ryan.

May 19th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

i never knew you were a manager at nordstrom… too funny… me too. [well i was an assistant manager] mens shoes.

cool paper.

26. Mariah

May 19th, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Nappy headed step child? Was that supposed to be funny? That language is really offensive, I am shocked you’d write that. I’m sure you didn’t mean anything by it- but you should really be more sensitive.

27. brianna

May 19th, 2008 at 10:30 pm

sometimes i’m nappy-headed and i really wasn’t offended. no harm.

28. craig stodola

May 19th, 2008 at 11:28 pm

I’m such a "paper freak" from growing up as a graphic designer. Places like Broadway Paper in Milwaukee and Kate’s Papery in SOHO New York City just ooze textures, colors and patterns. The fibrous handmade papers and toothy papers from French Paper Company can really pull a good design together. 🙂

HA! good to know there are more people out there like me. I was feeling like a lonely person. 🙂

c

29. Marianne

May 19th, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Love the new cards!

Rounded corners are so chic. My last two business cards have had them too. awesome!

30. Iliana

May 20th, 2008 at 12:11 am

I have to say I love the post it that says "why yes, i am over qualified"! Every woman should have one!

31. Rachel Brooke

May 20th, 2008 at 3:08 am

I’m a paper hoarder myself. I think that Sadori Studios did a perfect job on your notes…it fits your new look.

32. ricki ford

May 20th, 2008 at 5:07 am

I love the new logo.

33. Roxanne @ Southern Wedding Style

May 20th, 2008 at 6:20 am

I love the new card. It’s very swanky. By the way, I am a secret fan of sticky notes myself. I think I have the stars with the swirly patterns.

34. MOnique

May 20th, 2008 at 6:46 am

Viva list makers, viva post-it addicts, Viva!

35. Simply Modern Weddings

May 20th, 2008 at 7:54 am

Loving the new cards girlie! Like you, I am a post it note fanatic…esp the cute ones!

36. Fabiano

May 20th, 2008 at 2:16 pm

WOW! I didnt even know that there are so many cool blocknotes out there. I like the one that looks like a shoe.

37. Trista Lerit

May 20th, 2008 at 4:04 pm

LOVE the new note cards Jas! I love paper just as much as you! My new stationary should be here any day now…can’t wait!

38. cassandra m

May 20th, 2008 at 7:59 pm

girl…i thought i had an obsession with sticky notes…ohhhh. you’re much worse than I….ha.ha. I still hand write notes to clients, friends, family…I love stationary too!

39. Sarah Barlow

May 20th, 2008 at 10:19 pm

HOLY COW….number one I LOVE the new cards they are brilliant!….number two….I’m crazily obsessed with anything paper too….I pretty much have enough post it notes and stationary and journals to last two lifetimes. Maybe we should go to therapy together??
    🙂

40. Sarah Barlow

May 20th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Oh..and BTW…totally forgot to tell you that I love your blog. AMAZING.
    Oh..and I love you too of course:)

41. david b ~ ohana photography

May 21st, 2008 at 9:17 am

ooo ooo! i see the one’s i got you with the otter holding the star! your new biz cards are classy and beautiful like you!

42. Donna

May 21st, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Oh yeah I am with you on the paper products!!! I think I buy a new notebook or folders or note pads at least once a week…oh and pens too it’s bad…TJ Maxx is great for these find also!!

43. melissa pearce

May 22nd, 2008 at 5:32 pm

l.o.v.e. I love the notecard. I am so obsessed with paper products. I sometimes go into a stationary store just for smelling and touching all the different papers and I know I am so weird for it. when was it you got business cards for the first time in your journey of becoming?

44. Natarsha

May 23rd, 2008 at 2:06 pm

What a cute couple, so full of energy and spunk! love it!