Random Acts of Kindness

I’ve always loved random acts of kindness. I mean, really, who doesn’t?

Without divulging too much personal information, my best friend Brianna made the difficult decision to move from West Los Angeles to Tucson, Arizona to train for the Olympics. She attended U of Arizona during undergrad, but decided to return and train with her coach. In our heart of hearts, we know this was the best decision, but none of us wanted to say goodbye.

Starting over in a new city is extremely difficult, but a little surprise was in store for Brianna. A silent blog reader of mine happened to click on one of Bri’s comments and came across her website. Well, one thing led to another and Lyra decided to email Brianna and welcome her to Tucson. Lyra, an aspiring photographer, lives relatively close to Brianna, so she compiled a list of restaurants and things to do to fall in love with her new city. Okay, fall in love may be a stretch (especially considering oversized winter coats and Birkenstocks are standard attire), but the gesture was much appreciated! 😉

Shortly thereafter, Lyra took Brianna under her Tucsonian wing and provided a totally fun and cool social outlet. In fact, they watched the season finale of America’s Next Top Model together…I’m sure it didn’t compare to watching the show with me—complete with my running narratives of You OWN IT, Chantal! or Could someone please BRUSH JENNA’S HAIR?!—but it made me feel so good knowing my best friend wasn’t alone.

While Bri was at her afternoon practice, Lyra and I met up for lunch. We spoke about all things photography, as well as discovered what made her fall in love with it as an artform. Not only was this a great way to meet an aspiring photographer, it was my way of thanking her for treating my best friends as if they were her own. In addition to caring for Brianna, she photographed Jennie’s family for their Christmas card last week…all out of the kindness of her heart. No questions asked, no blinking of an eye. You gotta love someone like that!!

During the holiday season, be sure to take time to perform a random act of kindness. Pay for someone’s dry cleaning…give up your perfect mall parking space…secretly leave groceries on the doorstep of a needy family. I’ve been a recipient of all of these aforementioned actions, and it’s made me a better person. Be reminded the true reason of the season and give until you can give no more! 🙂

1. Jasmine C.

December 19th, 2007 at 12:48 am

What a sweet story!

2. erin.

December 19th, 2007 at 1:39 am

WOW! Lyra sounds like such a special person!! Glad that Brianna has a new friend in Tuscon and that you ladies had fun talkin’ about photography. God bless you Jasmine* and all your friends this holiday season!!

3. Amy

December 19th, 2007 at 1:47 am

Ahhhh! I love it!

4. cassandra m

December 19th, 2007 at 3:35 am

Giving is what its all about. Give of yourself, give of your time, give of your wallet if you can…just give & make sure you are giving from the heart. Way to remind us at such a busy holiday season to slow down and remember others. 😉

5. MattDJ

December 19th, 2007 at 4:26 am

Thanks for the reminders Jasmine. We’re trying to teach our chillin’ the gift of giving and you subtle reminders in this post sparked some ideas. Thanks!!

6. Melissa Koehler

December 19th, 2007 at 4:36 am

How wonderful! Love teh pic

7. Simply Modern Weddings

December 19th, 2007 at 4:51 am

That is so very touching that someone would treat your friend as her own and make her feel welcome. It’s so good to see people truly giving and caring for one another!

8. Poppy

December 19th, 2007 at 5:25 am

that is so awesome!! I totally feel for your friend and I am so glad you are able to visit her. (And that there was a warm and awesome new friendship forming.)Those visits really mean so much to us transplants!!
    Love You!

9. David B. Hoffman

December 19th, 2007 at 5:55 am

Thanks for sharing that J. What a great way to find purpose in life. -D Rom 8:39

10. david & kimi b

December 19th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

what an awesome story! jasmine, we just can’t get over you and everyone in your life! God Bless You girlie!

11. Candice Lanning

December 19th, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Jasmine- what a fantastic post! I couldn’t agree more, my husband and I were trying to come up with traditions for our first Christmas together….we decided on the 5 days of giving. It has been the most rewarding thing for the both of us.

As a volunteer coordinator at a men’s homeless shelter in Charlotte and an aspiring photographer…thanks for your meaningful posts. They inspire and make a difference.

12. angel swanson

December 19th, 2007 at 4:52 pm

great post! the season is definitely about giving and blessing others… although it is somewhat muddled in our commercialized society! thanks for the reminder 😉 i know that you have been a blessing to me, too! xoxo

13. ricki ford

December 19th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

this is one of my fav post we all need to give from the heart and don’t look for anything in return.
    God bless.
    And Merry CHRISTmas Jasmine!

14. gabriel ryan

December 19th, 2007 at 5:09 pm

giving rules! whenever i think about it, i always get the chili-pepper’s song stuck in my head "give-it-away, give-it-away, give-it-away, give-it-away now…"

15. ashley

December 19th, 2007 at 5:35 pm

i saw jennie on the real housewifes of orange county last night!!! loris daughther (on the show) was the bat girl for the us team when they played japan!! what a small world huh?!

16. brianna

December 20th, 2007 at 3:20 am

miss you already. thank you for EVERYTHING!

17. Lyra

December 20th, 2007 at 3:27 am

Thank me…NO, thank you! Your expertise and perspective is EXACTLY what every aspiring photographer needs to become focused, fabulous and on the fast track! I’m so glad to know you and your amazing friends.