Shooting Star : Digital files + Same Day Slideshows

Shooting Star : Digital files + Same Day Slideshows

Lately I’ve been on a folk music kick. Anything that sounds like it was recorded in a field of wheat, with banjos, and dancing gnomes is just my style. Makes me feel like I’m back in college and studying to my most favorite weepy soundtrack. My brain sighs when folk is playing and the deep breaths put me at ease, like a reminder life is okay. When JD gives me a sideways glance upon the umpteenth time playing Alexi Murdoch, I simply turn to him and proudly announce: MY BRAIN IS BREATHING, OKAY?!

Maybe all this breathing has put me in a talkative mood or something because today is another installment of Shooting Star. And though I’ve said in in the past, thank you for the feedback. We’re still trying to figure everything out and your support means the world. F’realsies.

In this video I’ll be discussing…
*How to improve photography skills in spite of being discouraged.
*How I design wedding albums. (And here’s a link referencing my album outsourcing).
*Whether I include digital files with my wedding photography services.
*How I create same-day wedding slideshows (I forgot to mention that I display the slideshow on my laptop via iPhoto, but one can easily use Lightroom or screensaver mode to achieve the same result).

Like always, you can submit questions for future FAQs on Facebook!

1. Amy Arrington

January 31st, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Super helpful as always Jasmine. Thanks so much for taking the time to do these!!

2. JC Ruiz

January 31st, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Another great video. Thanks for taking the time to make these for us. They’re very useful

3. Emily Dobson

January 31st, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Not sure what everyone else thinks, but I truly don’t think you talk to much. I’m so thankful you post shooting star FAQs that I’ll listen for three hours if I must. 3 1/2 hrs, well, I may cut you off. 😉

4. J* groupie

January 31st, 2011 at 4:44 pm

You hair looks fabulous.

5. Erin Potter

January 31st, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Jasmine, thank you SO much!! Video had so much good information that I hopefully, Lord willing, will be able to use someday! Another outstanding Shooting Star video!

6. Priyanka Damwani

January 31st, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Jasmine, I think your surname suits you so perfectly! You’re a real star, 6 minutes of watching you and soo much to learn + really interesting 🙂
    Thank you soo much. Eagerly waiting for your next post.

7. Jordanne

January 31st, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Anything by Mumford & Sons, Ingrid Michaelson, or Joshua Radin… I would HIGHLY recommend… its always nice when your brain needs a little breather… I agree with you on this. 🙂

8. Katia Forero Photography

January 31st, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Jasmine!I LOVE these videos! I am not much of a reader and they simplify any process!They are great!!please please keep them coming!

9. Kate Douthwright

January 31st, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’m shooting my first wedding this summer. I’m hoping I can include the same day slideshow as well but worry about finding the time for it all. Great tips as usual!

10. Cristina Sullivan

January 31st, 2011 at 4:55 pm

LOVE the slideshow idea for the reception! and thanks for all the tips :0)

11. Diana Rush

January 31st, 2011 at 4:58 pm

This was just SO timely for me as I am wanting to start the same day slide show! Thank you Jasmine for always sharing!

PS. I loved you outfit, and loved that you didn’t get dressed once last week!

12. steph

January 31st, 2011 at 5:00 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the color combo you’re rockin’. One of my favs. 🙂

Also, PLEASE tell us where you got that ring!

13. Laura Stricklin

January 31st, 2011 at 5:15 pm

AWESOME as always! Thanks for the tips. I succeeded with my first wedding slideshow my last wedding. My hubs actually threw it together; but, I did have a curiosity of your system. Thanks for sharing. Oh. Sidenote. I love your hair up! 🙂 (don’t get me wrong, beautiful either just hardly wear it up)

14. Carla

January 31st, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Jasmine, seriously, I could listen to you talk for 10 minutes on EACH of these subjects! Don’t think you’re talking too much! Thank you!!

15. steph

January 31st, 2011 at 5:22 pm

p.s. I’m always SUPER hesitant to recommend music, as I am the most tone deaf human being God ever created. However, I’m putting myself out there and suggesting that you *might* (maybe possibly?) like The Civil Wars.

16. Emily

January 31st, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Love these video blogposts!

17. Aga Luczakowska

January 31st, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Your video are getting better and better… great! thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience once again!

18. Carrie

January 31st, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I love these Shooting Star videos! I’m definitely just an amateur photographer, but having such in depth and detailed info is fabulous! And you are ADORABLE. Everyone says it, so I’m sure it gets old. But you just are.

19. Tanya De Leeuw

January 31st, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Thank you, Jasmine! I dream of the day I have your confidence in my skills …

20. K. Schinagl Photography

January 31st, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Jasmine…Thanks for the tips! you should check out some of these folk/bluegrass bands.

21. Springfield Dan

January 31st, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thanks for sharing these tips.

22. Karen Stott

January 31st, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Glad to know I’m not the only one who goes a whole week without getting "dressed"… hugs!

23. Jenelle Sewell

January 31st, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I’m going to do this at my next wedding. Thanks for the food for thought.

24. jen williams

January 31st, 2011 at 6:13 pm

hooray for shooting star videos!! 🙂 thanks so much for sharing your time and talent with all of us.

25. Shayna

January 31st, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Check out Nickel Creek. They are so so so good.

26. Trysha

January 31st, 2011 at 6:19 pm

For slideshows I invested in a digital photo frame. I can eat the cost of $100 vs. paying for a new laptop. It works, people are impressed and if they couple chooses, they can keep it.

27. damara

January 31st, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Awesome again! and no…it’s not too much speaking:) Thanks for your openness about all you do. Our photographer for our wedding did a wedding slideshow and people DEFINATELY noticed.

28. Diane -

January 31st, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Not sure how to add a question to your video segments but can you share more about your pricing of your packages and what they include? You touched upon this a little in the last video about offering 4 packages, some with files, some without but if you could share more about actual packages you offer customers, that would be helpful.

29. Carrie K

January 31st, 2011 at 7:13 pm

You are soooo not talking too long! You are giving us great tips and I can’t believe you cover so much in just 6.5 minutes! Thank you for your generosity in sharing and not getting all competitive with others in your trade.

30. quicoto

January 31st, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Great as always Jasmine.

Liked the idea about having all the pictures you wanna take in your mind before the wedding.

Thanks for sharing 🙂

31. Jorge

January 31st, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Wonderful video blogpost! Great!

32. Michelle Sibley

January 31st, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Awesome tips. Great Video. Go girl, smooth! Seriously lalalalooove the music by Alexi Murdoch. I’m listening to my playlist now of his music. Ahhhh…my brain is breathing so nicely now thanks to his mellow vocals & tunes with a positive message. Listiening while I work sure is helping my workflow…dishes, cooking then more dishes as the hubby is off for his b-day holiday! Thanks Jas for being so faithful and thoughtfully blogging your beautifully inspirational posts.

33. Shuva Rahim

January 31st, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Great post!! Very informative as always… 🙂

34. Dennis Bullock

January 31st, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Great post Jasmine!

35. Yuliya

January 31st, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Thank you as always!

36. Rich Park

January 31st, 2011 at 9:07 pm

thank you for all the tips – time for me to get out there and practice some more!

37. Bobbie Brown

January 31st, 2011 at 9:16 pm

As always… I love your videos! I always find them insighful and interesting.. thank you for taking the time to do them 🙂

38. JenP

January 31st, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Your outfit is adorable and so fresh looking.

39. Athena

January 31st, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Jasmine, thank you! As always- informational and inspirational. As a side, I know your hair is pulled back in this video but it would be a super cute cut on you!!!

40. Mike Moore

January 31st, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thanks Jasmine. Love the tips.

41. Kimberly Loya Photography

February 1st, 2011 at 12:12 am

WHAT- I’m not the only one who doesn’t get dressed all week?! My husband will never, ever believe it.

42. Courtney

February 1st, 2011 at 1:16 am

Thanks for the great info!

43. Erica Velasco

February 1st, 2011 at 2:18 am

great helpful!

44. Christa

February 1st, 2011 at 2:29 am

Love your video posts! Btw do you realize how beautiful you are? 🙂

45. Life with Kaishon

February 1st, 2011 at 2:31 am

Another home run : )
    Thank you.
    The joke was my favorite!

46. Denise Prichett

February 1st, 2011 at 2:52 am

Thanks Jasmine for the tips and for always sharing. Love the videos and the music.

47. Giovanna

February 1st, 2011 at 3:48 am

Tell me you drink lots of coffee:) HA!!! Great info!

48. Jenna Danelle

February 1st, 2011 at 4:49 am

Love these – they have become my favorite posts! I am thinking of starting the slide show at my next four weddings and I hope I can pull it off. I haven’t told the Brides, so if I can’t get it to work the way I want it won’t backfire – but my next few weddings will be the test run! BTW, I don’t think anyone would hold it against you if you were in workout gear. lol.

49. Camille

February 1st, 2011 at 5:02 am

As always…love the tips. I love that you take the time to do this. But for real real….love the outfit. Super cute sweater. I want I want!

50. kelsey anderson

February 1st, 2011 at 5:29 am

Great tips! Thanks so much for sharing!

51. Leah

February 1st, 2011 at 6:25 am

BAH! you are AHHHMAZING! thank you thank you thank you for putting these videos together. You are just so so great!

52. Kip Beelman

February 1st, 2011 at 7:27 am

Once again, you rule the airwaves with USEFUL info. Thanks J!

53. Lee Moffatt

February 1st, 2011 at 11:35 am

Thanks Jasmine, this is some great advice I was looking for.

54. Miriam

February 1st, 2011 at 11:42 am

Thank you Jasmine. This was a great help!

55. SNB

February 1st, 2011 at 1:15 pm

J* – great videos. You don’t talk too much. But you could slow it down! I love to hear what you have to say and I vote for longer vids and you taking a little more time to slow it down and share as much information as you want. Your energy and passion for your work is beautiful. Now, onto more supeficial matters: you’ve worn this ring several times – it’s gigantically gorgeous. Can you tell us where you got it?

February 1st, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Thanks so much for share your experience and work. You are amazing!

57. Karin

February 1st, 2011 at 3:21 pm

These videos are a great length- long enough to be helpful but short enough to be watchable! Thanks for sharing.

p.s. My husband just walked by and glanced over my shoulder and said, "wow, she seems happy!" : )

58. Alejandra Vidal

February 1st, 2011 at 4:11 pm

All I have to say is that I love that blazer/sweater!! And of course the video 😉

59. Carrie

February 1st, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Thanks, love it! I was just saying how much more people love my photos after they get a few drinks in them! I thought i was so clever and original, apparently not the case! Love the videos, you crack me up.

60. Pixel Story Photography

February 1st, 2011 at 5:57 pm

We have come to the same conclusion for digital negatives, top 2 packages include them, bottom 2 do not. Ala cart option for the bottom 2.

61. Sherina Gallagher

February 1st, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Very helpful, especially the reception slideshow part. Thanks Jasmine!

62. Susan Jennings

February 1st, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Love this post, I have wanted to try creating a slides how at my receptions, but have been too nervous. Therefore, Nate and I have set a specific time aside and we are going to practice it at home. Hopefully I will attempt it at a few weddings this year!
    Thanks for all the encouragement!!

63. Adriana Morett

February 1st, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Again, and as usual, VERY helpful and So cool!! Thank you, Jasmine, for taking the time to do this. You rock!

64. Ashley Motes

February 1st, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I really do love "Shooting Star"! I hope these keep continuing. Also, if you are currently into folk, you should try Damien Rice or Ray Lamontagne : )

65. ashley barnett

February 1st, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Thanks for this post!! We recently started doing same day slideshows at our weddings and W O W does it make a HUGE impact on the guests, and most importantly, the bride. I love sneaking peeks at people running over to it and then going to grab their friends. I am so happy we took the plunge and tried it out! And THANK YOU for the inspiration to try it!

66. Apple

February 2nd, 2011 at 1:23 am

you’re more awesome than my fave mint chocochip ice cream! you give me guilt-free happiness!<3

67. christina

February 2nd, 2011 at 1:26 am

great informative video…but i was super distracted by your aqua and white top. i have that in yellow & white…but i love yours better!

68. cassandra-m

February 2nd, 2011 at 6:55 am

Awweeeeee-some! 😀

69. Erin McCoy

February 2nd, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for spending your time on these videos – love them!!

70. Marissa Rodriguez

February 2nd, 2011 at 4:38 pm

As always, thank you so much for these posts!!! Love them!

71. Tacey

February 2nd, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Dangit. You are fabulous! Girlfriend, you would have been soooo proud of me. I rocked my very first ‘real’ wedding, beautiful, higher end event, I was out of town, all by myself, and I managed to produce a slideshow for the reception, following all your previous advice on the topic…Phew! Let me tell you, I didn’t eat, my eyes were bugging out with feverish intensity-but gosh darnit! When I put my laptop up for the guests, and bride and groom to see….I must say, it was one of the proudest moments of my new career…My coverage was over, and as I left for the night (my first ‘real’ wedding behind me) the last thing I saw was a crowd of people, MoB, B&G, etc. all wiping tears from their eyes with their arms around eachother….Man. Nothing could have felt better. (AND, I just booked another bride from that wedding-for 2012-she wanted to make sure she got me! HA!) Thank you Jasmine.

72. Paige Elizabeth

February 4th, 2011 at 2:04 am

You are amazing!! Awesome information, thanks for sharing!!

73. Molly Kate

February 4th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

When you said folk music my mind went straight to the old Nelly Furtado music. Your Creative Live videos are so worth it because it shows you doing all these things first hand. Thanks for sharing as always.

74. Carl Reid

February 5th, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hi Jasmine,

As usual awesome post, great info and I by the way I love your theme song.
    I like your advice of strategically preparing the scenes in your head to make it easier to organize your slide show.

Question, just from your advice and presence on the video you resonate confidence and expertise that I’m sure you bring to your clients on the day of the wedding. Though I’m confident in my skills behind the lens I still struggle with my expertise managing the day as the photographer, the stylist, the coordinator, the confident etc. So my question is what concerns as a high profile photographer are you faced with on the day of the wedding compared to us younger photogs?

I’ll pose this question on Facebook as well. Thanks for inspiring us photogs!

Carl from T.O.

75. Jodie Lemke

February 5th, 2011 at 10:15 pm

You rock girl! Thank you so much for doing these 🙂 They are super helpful and really inspirational! 🙂 My 5 year old son was watching and said.. Hey mom " She’s a photographer too… is she your friend?" haha

I feel like we are.. haha one day i hope to meet ya!

76. Kerstin

February 6th, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Thx for this!!

77. Lucy Manalo

February 6th, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Thanks for sharing!

78. Manfr3d

February 8th, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Hi Jasmin, I love the insights you give us to your work and bussines.

Maybe you can comment on the use of ND filters for outdoor shots with fast lenses?

79. Marian Majik

February 8th, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Great tip as usual – thank you very much 😉

80. Brittany Stover

February 9th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

WOW, that was perfect. Thank you!!

81. tru pettit

February 10th, 2011 at 3:48 am

folk music rocks! the lyrics & the tunes are very inspirational~when trying to visualize a mood or a look for photography. again, many thanks for the video~such a treasure of information~
    i had to smile~~as i was listening, the video definitely reminded me an old blog post you had about how you constantly and meticulously make lists throughout the day. a def + asset when going through which photos to sample.

82. Leila Dali

February 12th, 2011 at 12:04 am

Miss Jazz, you are SO giving with your photography knowledge. So willing to be helpful and to shine light into dark places. I so appreciate who you are. =) THANK YOU for being you!

and I like the music… and the new saucy music. i like it all! =)

83. Kimberly Wilson

February 12th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

LOVE your Shooting Star posts!! And I found the info on same day slideshows so incredibly helpful!! It gave me the idea to download my cards to my iPad at last night’s wedding and set it up by the gift table for people to view. HUGE, HUGE hit!! Such a surprise for the couple! And it worked flawlessly! 🙂 Thanks!!

84. Josh | All Star Photo Booth

February 16th, 2011 at 12:05 am

Woot Woot…way to represent the photo booth! I hope to be photoboothin’ at one of your weddings someday!

85. Spicytee

February 19th, 2011 at 11:28 am

Thanks for sharing this. I’m sure going try this at my next wedding in few days.

86. Chris ak

August 14th, 2012 at 11:51 am

Always wonderful reading your thoughts J