Songs of the {Heart}

Songs of the {Heart}

Photography

The gentleman sitting next to me had his earphone placed deeply in the crevice of his ear, but I still heard the music. I mean, who doesn’t love a little Chicago in the morning? He reminded me of my father, a man who expressed himself with music when he sometimes lost the words. He dreams in spanish, my father. And counts in his native tongue as well. Uno, dos, tres… His records spoke what he felt and he shared it with us.

Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Hall&Oates, Bob Dylan, Jefferson Airplane. He blared these records during my childhood from a pink player while he repaired the car or organized the garage, and my mother shook her head in disapproval from the kitchen window. She doubted the sweet Lord Almighty approved of his music choices, but he told her they were given talents from God for us to enjoy. She shut the window tightly and my sister and I danced barefoot on the asphalt driveway, our soles covered in black. Our souls covered in joy. When I asked my dad why Roxanne didn’t have to put on her Red Light tonight, he wiped his hands on his grimy jeans and changed the record.

Years later I sit next to a gentleman who listened to Chicago on an airplane, and I think of my father. The way he counts, the way he closes his eyes and plays Jimi’s air guitar, the way he instills a love for music. And–every so often–I find myself counting to the the beat of one of my father’s favorite records.

Uno, dos, tres…

comments

1. stephanie -

what a sweet post! music is truly magical..it takes you places.

1.27.11 - 4:23 pm

2. Chelsea Patricia -

So succinctly precious.

1.27.11 - 4:40 pm

3. Rebecca -

Heartwarming. Fond memories make us the loving people we are today. Thank you for sharing.

1.27.11 - 4:58 pm

4. JennP -

:˚)
    Lovely post.

1.27.11 - 5:01 pm

5. Anahy -

Hey, I count in Spanish too! Your dad is awesome!

1.27.11 - 5:04 pm

6. Life with Kaishon -

I love mine too. He never listened to any fun music though! When I was in fifth grade my new best friend, Susannah, came to our school and told us she listened to Steve Green. WOW. I heard one of his songs and I was SO excited. It was GREAT. She let me borrow a tape. My Dad heard it and said I was not allowed to listen to rock and roll. He didn’t like christian rock. I was SO mad : ( I had to give her back her tape. I lived. The end.

1.27.11 - 5:15 pm

7. Michelle Cross -

I like.

1.27.11 - 5:17 pm

8. JESSICA@DOSSIEA -

I feel the love of your memory. Thanks for sharing 🙂

1.27.11 - 5:17 pm

9. Denise Prichett -

Jasmine, I really love your writing and the way it makes a picture or video in my head. Thank you.

1.27.11 - 5:20 pm

10. Christina -

You are blessed beyond words to have such beautiful thoughts and memories of your father. One could only have wished!

1.27.11 - 5:21 pm

11. Stephanie Conn -

My favorite quote goes well with this: "The eyes are the messenger of the soul, but the voice reveals the spirit" Very touching Jasmine, I am also very close to my father and have similar memories. Thank you for sharing yours 🙂

1.27.11 - 5:22 pm

12. clarivel. ann -

I love it when I hear my dad’s favorite music playing in some random place–especially when I hadn’t seen or heard from him in a while. I think it’s God reminding me to be thankful for him and to be sure to express my gratitude the next time I see him.

Thanks for sharing, Jasmine!

1.27.11 - 5:28 pm

13. Julie Hecker -

Thank you for helping me remember, from a girl sitting at her desk at a Fortune 500 company. For me growing up my Dad’s music was Queen and Madonna. And my sister and brothers and I would bounce around on this big blue exercise ball shouting "we will rock you".

1.27.11 - 5:39 pm

14. Jackie -

Jasmine, thank you for sharing your given talents from God. I enjoy reading each new post on your blog. Your gift of sculpting words inspires me. To read more. To write more. To be more.

1.27.11 - 5:40 pm

15. Susan -

Love these thoughts Jasmine. I was just thinking the other day that music seemed to have more…soul…or something…back in the day. I miss that. Your line about Roxanne and her red light made me laugh. I remember singing (loudly) "Really love your peaches, want to shake your tree" without a clue what it meant. 🙂

1.27.11 - 5:44 pm

16. Adriana Morett -

My father used to listen to Chicago when I was a little girl too, and like you, that music reminds me of him, and makes me want to call him and hug him 🙂 sometimes I do! jeje thanks for sharing, love your blog

1.27.11 - 6:12 pm

17. Noelia Kline -

Jasmine, you just have such a way with words. I can never blog the way you do. I come EVERY DAY to read your blogs, because you inspire me, and because I love to get to know more about you….I wish my dad was still around, because I miss a lot of the memories and things we did together. You are blessed, don’t ever forget that. God bless you and everything you do, you ARE a STAR. 😀

1.27.11 - 6:42 pm

18. brianna -

did you get a new ipod? those earphones look a little too spiffy…

1.27.11 - 6:48 pm

19. MargeE -

I bet your post was not meant to have me in tears of sorrow; but I am a die hard ‘daddy’s girl’ and how I miss hearing his voice. Beautiful memories that will be with you forever Jasmine, love the post!

1.27.11 - 6:52 pm

20. Emma Godfrey -

For my dad it was Elton John, David Bowie or Neil Diamond – on vinyl, on a Sunday morning, after church while making lunch!

1.27.11 - 6:55 pm

21. Ashley Lea -

So touching Jasmine. Thanks for sharing. I love the rhythm of the words in this post, especially. 🙂

1.27.11 - 6:56 pm

22. Sylvia Brogdon -

A beautiful post, and a beautiful memory. I come from a musical family and have a special place in my heart for the Spanish music on which I was raised. My father and I share that love of music, and now my children do as well. 🙂

1.27.11 - 6:59 pm

23. Kelly Jensen -

What a beautiful entry. Love it! And so relatable…don’t we all love us some Police? 🙂

1.27.11 - 7:01 pm

24. felicia gwen -

Tear….<3

1.27.11 - 7:05 pm

25. Wendy -

Such a sweet memory. Thank you for sharing it with us 🙂

1.27.11 - 7:07 pm

26. Gail -

Love this. Music is most certainly my favorite kind of sanctuary!

1.27.11 - 7:24 pm

27. Andrea Ellison Photography -

oh my heart !!!! Lady…how do you do it? ….you get me every time x

1.27.11 - 7:24 pm

28. Dee -

beautiful post!

1.27.11 - 7:40 pm

29. stacy -

beautifully said!

1.27.11 - 7:45 pm

30. Mom -

|So true Jasmine. So true.

Mom

1.27.11 - 7:47 pm

31. Bethany Fields -

Love.

1.27.11 - 8:01 pm

32. Amy Jo -

Beautiful. Your posts always have the ability to take me to another place, and to make me think about the people I love. I love my dad with all my heart, and this post left me thinking and smiling about the things that are unique to my dad.

1.27.11 - 8:03 pm

33. Rob Grant -

Your dad has great taste in music! Thanks for the great post. I have fond memories of my now deceased father turning me on to new music has a child. Thanks for the walk down memory lane…

1.27.11 - 8:04 pm

34. Jared Wilson Photography -

…Catorce!

1.27.11 - 8:14 pm

35. Andrew Lipsett -

Love it Jasmine:). I grew up with no electricity and we had a battery powered Phillips record player where the lid was the speaker. I would play all my parents records, the Beatles, Nancy Sinatra, Louis Armstrong and dozens of others. My dad being my dad just rebuilt that record player and I listened to a few 33 and a 1/3, 45 and 78rpm records last time I visited. I love my dad:)

1.27.11 - 8:29 pm

36. Charlene Kuyrkendall -

For me, it’s a bit different, growing up deaf in a hearing family who breathe and live music. For my mom, it’s the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, etc while for my dad, it’s Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Hank Williams, etc, and my gramma it’s the gospel all the way . . . Mom’s hands signing out the lyrics while Dad’s hands slapping to the music and the music loud so I can feel it in my bones . . . now I do the same for my daughters just cuz it’s wonderful to see them carrying on the family tradition

1.27.11 - 8:34 pm

37. Bobbie Brown -

Hahahaha! This is touching and at the same time, priceless!

1.27.11 - 8:37 pm

38. Kare -

You have such a magical way with words, Jasmine.

1.27.11 - 8:46 pm

39. Samuel A. Smith Ii -

Nice post Jasmine. We are all products of the environment of our upbringing. It is so refreshing for you to reflect on how music affected your childhood and how deep down inside.it is embedded in you. I come from similar background as you. Even though I am black, my dad believed that if you like it, listen to it. So I always loved so many types of music. Country, Jazz, Rock and Roll, R&B, Gospel, Blues, and Soul music all help raise me. The jukebox in my head is awesome and varied. Its hard to tell what song is going to play next in my head.

1.27.11 - 9:09 pm

40. maria Hoff -

Yes brings back the memory of my family. My husband used to take the kids for a Saturday drive to visit the grandparents.While driving they would listen to his favorites on the radio. One day when as I was driving the children, I heard the four and six year old version of the Eagles song Feel Like Makin Love. At first I was surprised but still it gave me a laugh. Music is vital to creativity.

1.27.11 - 9:11 pm

41. Kristen -

I love my Dad to pieces and this post made me think of the song he and I danced to at my wedding. I didn’t want to choose a sappy song because I would’ve bawled the whole way thru so I chose "Teach Your Children" by Crosby, Stills & Nash. We sang the song to each other as we danced & that was 1 of the best memories of my wedding day. It must’ve been fate because I just heard it on the radio, too! 🙂

1.27.11 - 9:15 pm

42. Eve -

I just love how you write J*… its very touching and just sooo you!

1.27.11 - 9:22 pm

43. Christina Graves -

What a great memory : )
    Always be true to who you are.
    Loveyaalot’s

1.27.11 - 9:37 pm

44. Becca -

Jeesh you are such a great writer. I wish I could express myself better on paper! (er, on keyboard?) Lovely story 🙂

1.27.11 - 10:36 pm

45. Shannon Gray -

OMG…I thought my dad was the only one that listened to Chicago and Hall&Oates…seriously…he loved them! 🙂

1.28.11 - 1:29 am

46. cory -

Great Read, I very much appreciated it. Made me stop and remember memories of my Mom and her music. Thanks for sharing.

1.28.11 - 2:28 am

47. Stephanie Rose -

So sweet Jasmine. : )

1.28.11 - 4:33 am

48. Raquel -

Beautiful. Love the way you use words and pictures together 🙂

1.28.11 - 6:07 am

49. amanda thiessen -

um beautiful. your way with words boggles my mind – in a good way! 🙂

1.28.11 - 6:17 am

50. Matthew Saville -

Catorce! (Turn it up loud, captain!)

1.28.11 - 8:52 am

51. Dary -

Jasmine! You have such a way with words. You literally make me laugh out laugh at your witty ways yet you make my heart go, "aw…" with posts like these. Thanks for starting my Friday with a smile 🙂

1.28.11 - 3:43 pm

52. Dominique -

You are a woman of many talents! And your determination and commitment to your passions is remarkable!

1.28.11 - 4:07 pm

53. Felice -

Your post brought tears to my eyes. My dad counts in his native tongue as well, but nothing brings more joy to his face than a good air guitar.

1.28.11 - 4:57 pm

54. Jennifer -

I can not tell you how much I can relate to this post. My father is my Best Friend and music is something that has always been constant in our lives. He expresses him self in the lyrics he hears and also the dramatic moves of his many air musical instruments. And the conversation between parents about music- Ha. I can totally relate! I actually sent him a link to this post because you just said it so well!

1.28.11 - 5:29 pm

55. Susana Paz -

Ohh Jazmine, your father was spanish….like me. I’m trying to become in a good photographer and I follow your blog with interest…. but half that you say is a mistery for me. I know a little bit of english. enough for understanding something, but I would like to find your videos with subtitles in spanish. I hope some day…..
    Menawhile, congratulations for your wonderful job. You are a really life lover. I hope to see you some day in Spain.

1.29.11 - 4:42 pm

56. Dave -

Jas, I think I am going to hire you to narrate a day of my life. You can be my Morgan Freeman (=

1.30.11 - 2:23 am

57. Sylvia Barajas -

I can just picture what you shared in my mind…you and Bianca, especially your mom closing the window…and the look on your dad’s face when you asked about Roxanne….just love the memory…..so tickled with joy to read your blog…love you!

1.30.11 - 8:06 pm

58. Jenna Danelle -

I can’t get enough of the imagry you paint in words and capture in photographs! You have a talent I can’t begin to describe! I hope I can find something like your ability to bring things to life – conjur emotions such as you do – so that I may carve my own unique niche into this industry one day…

1.31.11 - 7:14 am

59. Giselle Sauer -

You know what I love the most about your blog? Is that it is a real blog! I mean, you post your work but you also post your thoughts and it is just amazing! It makes us so close to you it is even difficult to think we might never get to really meet!
    Congratulations on your work and on being this wonderful person you are!
    Kisses from a Brazilian fan!

4.21.11 - 11:23 pm