They’re Made for Walkin’

He thinks they’re silly. I think they’re fashionable. He thinks the only way I can get away with wearing them is if I live in Texas. I think I can wear them because a person can wear anything in California. He thinks just because I can, doesn’t mean I should. I think…I think…I think I’m right. SO THERE.

JD has a long-standing animosity toward cowboy boots. As in he hates mine so much it makes his teeth hurt.

While in Mexico last week, I shopped through the open-air market and saw the skies part like a massive blue curtain. The glory of the heavens shined down, as if pointing to a particular stall, and I followed a white dove to where the light stopped. There stood the most glorious pair of cowboy boots I’ve ever seen. A color cacophony of crimson and brown, with stitched detailing throughout the body.

It’s like God was TELLING me to buy them! JD rolled his eyes as I recounted the story. Of course, there was no sky-parting or dove-following, but I hoped the gravitas of my imagination would make my purchase more digestible. Apparently, JD needs Alka Seltzer to swallow my fashion purchases because he suffers from indigestion every time I don my boots.

And though the battle between Can and Should will forever remain, I’ll wear my boots and stomp on all my nay-sayers. Seltzer-drinking husbands included!

1. Paul Kestel

May 13th, 2008 at 9:11 pm

2. carlie

May 13th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

your funny.

3. Kylee

May 13th, 2008 at 9:19 pm

i looove cowboy boots and can’t wait to get a pair — i want mine to have some turquoise on them, though!

May 13th, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I dig ’em…but hey, I’m from Texas 😉

May 13th, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I dig ’em…but hey, I’m from Texas 😉

6. serendipitous lemon

May 13th, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Lovely boots!

7. Tanya Perez

May 13th, 2008 at 9:26 pm

I dig em too but hey I’m from Texas tooooooo!! Haha

8. cassandra m

May 13th, 2008 at 9:30 pm

oooooooooooohhh. they’re so shinny. hee hee. very NICE! and I Love the way you photographed them with the pattern on the floor here. stylish!

9. Cathy [C+D]

May 13th, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I’ve never been a boot wearer, but if I were, I would totally buy those boots!

10. Steven

May 13th, 2008 at 9:38 pm

JD my be right on this one , in orange county we all wear flip flops rain or shine

11. Tira J

May 13th, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Finally! Someone who agrees that cowboy (girl) boots are in style no matter what! I love them, and I am sure they smell delicious! Gotta love great leather!

12. andie

May 13th, 2008 at 9:51 pm

My husband told me a story just like this a few weeks ago but the object was a corvette not boots…i would have rather had boot….at least i live in texas!!! lol (i’m not kidding…he came home and said god thinks i need a corvette)

13. Nelly Chung

May 13th, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Great story! I think guys really dislike some women shoes…in my case they are slip on soft leather boots that are really roomy in the toes. My boyfriend makes fun of them and calls them "Moon boots" because they are shapped like the foot print of the first man on the moon, wide and big. Ha!

14. Vida

May 13th, 2008 at 10:07 pm

They are awesome. Work ’em chica!

15. Paul Kremer

May 13th, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Meh! I’m with JD on this one, I can’t stand ’em either, but I don’t think I’d need any Alka-Seltzer. And if my wife wanted to wear them, I know I’d roll my eyes, but whatever makes her happy…gotta pick your battles, right? 🙂

16. Mike

May 13th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Did you see ‘How I Met Your Mother’?! If not.. you must! ( the episode talks about your cowboy boots! And how you can pull-them-off.

17. Marianne

May 13th, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I think they’re adorable!

California girls can rock anything we want!

18. Hanssie

May 13th, 2008 at 10:35 pm

OMG! Those are sooo cute! On my way to Mexico…can you send the dove to lead me in to the right stall?

19. sarah skow

May 13th, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Love the post! Your new blog is really great too. Simple, yet bold. Love it!

20. Caitlin

May 13th, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Yay! I love cowboy boots! Those are fabulous – boys don’t know shoot from shineola about what’s good for them — that is why God made women. 🙂

21. kymberli q.

May 13th, 2008 at 10:44 pm

I posted an entry about my boots last week! LOVE cowgirl/cowboy boots. But then again, I love country music. I even broke my wrist LINE DANCING!! Ah, fun memories! Cowboy up, JD!

22. Rachel Dallaire

May 13th, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Love them. They are adorable!

23. Shawn Kloster

May 13th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

LOL! Yeeehaw!

24. rowena

May 13th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

hahahaha. that’s like my hubby with my dr. marten shoes! he says no one wears them anymore and i say soooo…

25. enoch photography

May 13th, 2008 at 11:36 pm

too funny. you have a great sense of humor…

26. david & kimi b ~ ohana photography

May 13th, 2008 at 11:46 pm

27. Gail

May 13th, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Jasmine, if you don’t already watch "How I Met Your Mother" (on CBS), you totally should because Monday night’s episode had a bit plot that you would SOOOO love given your love of the cowboy boots! It’s a great show – you should check it out online:

28. Michael Blanchard

May 14th, 2008 at 12:23 am

I feel so confident when I wear my frye boots, which is pretty much every day. You will love having some of your own.

29. jen

May 14th, 2008 at 12:25 am

O.K. Jasmine – I’m a long time blog stalker of yours, and I’m in hysterics that out of all your posts with your amazing pictures, I’m commenting on your boots post! I love cowboy boots (I have an awesome pair of Justins!) and your post title is perfect – is that a great song or what?!
    Thanks for making my day, Jasmine! BTW, love the new blog look. 🙂

30. Desiree Hayes

May 14th, 2008 at 12:40 am

I think they are totally cute! You should take JD to a country concert……they are fun down here in southern Cali….board shorts with cowboy boots and no shirt. LOL (Ok, so not the girls….not at least until they’ve spent $150 on 15 beers.) LOL Anyways, I ramble, you are rockin your new boots…that’s a cool floor too.

31. Keri Doolittle

May 14th, 2008 at 1:05 am

Ohhhh yes!! I just got some myself. Love em!! I am not in TX, but I can sure sport them here in Phoenix!! Have fun with the boots!

32. Dee

May 14th, 2008 at 1:25 am

Lovin’ those new boots, Jasmine — now get you a cowgirl hat to go with ’em and strut your stuff!

The new blog is oh-so-fabulous! Yesterday you alluded to the fact that Jessica Claire took the photos in the rotating masthead. If the photos are supposed to be rotating, they are not but you may have meant that you will change out the photos in the masthead from time to time???

33. Kacy Jo

May 14th, 2008 at 1:30 am

So I have this "Thing" with shoe/feet pictures. I am an aspiring photographer and through all the couples/wedding/anytime photos I take I have to take a shoe/feet picture. 🙂 I love this photo. Great boots! Also I love your new blog! I am a blogstalker. This is my first comment!

34. robin Olson

May 14th, 2008 at 1:31 am

you are funny. love the boots. love the floor.

35. Jasmine*

May 14th, 2008 at 1:39 am

Whew! I’m glad I have some supporters out there in Internet Land! 🙂 And just for clarification, the boots aren’t as shiny as they appear in the picture…major reflection from the airport lights above my head! Patent leather ain’t my thing! @Dee: The pictures rotate when you refresh the page…or they should anyway! @Gail and Mike: I’ll definitely watch the show because this isn’t the first time I heard good things about it! @Paul and Steven: You boys need to not collude with JD for the sake of boyhood! You KNOW these boots are hot. Hotter than two pieces of black toast! 😉

36. jess@studio3z

May 14th, 2008 at 1:47 am

the boots ROCK. I’ve had my eyes peeled for some good ones myself!

37. Ashley

May 14th, 2008 at 2:00 am

Hey, just tell him it’s Jessica Simpson’s fault for making them so popular! As far as I’m concerned, if you feel great in what you’re wearing, you’ll always look great. If someone doesn’t like what you wear- just tell them they should be glad they’re not wearing it! Husbands included =).

38. Frannie

May 14th, 2008 at 2:10 am

I think they’re absolutely adorable!! Love them. Ya know, some people can pull the look of the "boots" off and some just can’t. I’m pretty sure you’re one of those that can!!

I wouldn’t mind buying a pair for myself…:D

39. Mel Watson

May 14th, 2008 at 2:39 am

Dude… God Loves Boots… God wears Boots! Your boots are THE HOTNESS! Just because you live near the beach doesn’t mean flip flops are the only shoes you need. Get to stompin’ sista! 😉

40. Jessica Strickland

May 14th, 2008 at 2:45 am

I FULLY and completely understand where you are coming from on this…although I am STILL on the search for the perfect pair of boots after 4 years!! LOVE them…you are the CUTEST!!!! LOVE THE NEW BLOG TOO!!! xo!! miss you!

41. Liza Roberson

May 14th, 2008 at 2:47 am

Yay for Cowboy boots…especially those ones…they are too cute!

42. inga

May 14th, 2008 at 2:51 am

Well, I’m going to have to agree with you on this one, you CAN wear just about anything in California (Lol). Sorry JD! 🙂
    I like the boots. Everyone can’t pull that look off. You’re one of the chosen few. lol

43. gabriel.ryan.

May 14th, 2008 at 2:53 am

this so takes me back to a certain post of yours on wednesday, the 25th of april 2007. isn’t it random what our brains remember. maybe it was that carlie & i had such a good time at our engagement shoot. or that we were anxious in waiting to see the images from the shoot… but i totally remember your last ‘they’re made for walkin’ post.

44. jeanette sanchez

May 14th, 2008 at 2:58 am

I like them…a lot. Sorry JD.

45. Katherine Bowman

May 14th, 2008 at 3:04 am

Luv em!

46. shelia

May 14th, 2008 at 3:24 am

From a Texan….Love the cowboy boots!!! and hey ..If I can wear my boots and hat in Japan…you can wear them Cali!! They can take the girl out of Texas…but cant take the Texas out of the girl! LOL!!!

47. kerri mcconnell

May 14th, 2008 at 3:32 am

the boots rock… 🙂 and the new blog is awesome!

48. michèle

May 14th, 2008 at 3:55 am

First, the new blog and brand ROCKS! Second, my shabby, black cowboy boots are the most comfortable boots ever and I feel instantly cute every time I wear them. CB boots unite!

49. Kevin Swan

May 14th, 2008 at 4:21 am

If this is the extent of your marital strife, boot up, baby.

Blog rocks, not as much as your writing, but it’s close. 🙂

50. Shelly

May 14th, 2008 at 4:26 am

Love the Boots! You should try Yoga Shoes! Just dont by the demin specials, the size is wrong and they dont fit!

51. Rachel Absher

May 14th, 2008 at 5:02 am

Well, aren’t those the cutest boots ever??!! I want to see some photos of you dancing in them!! lol 😉

52. Kacy Jo

May 14th, 2008 at 5:25 am

Firstly, love the cowboy boots -and trust me you can wear them anywhere! Well I do anyways… from Oregon to Vegas, and definitely taking them to NYC in a few weeks 🙂

Secondly… There is now another Kacy Jo?? I had to read that a few times and at first I thought someone was posting as me! Too weird… Anways, enjoy the boots!! 🙂

53. Cynthia

May 14th, 2008 at 5:34 am

OMG – your writing is Sooooooooo dramatic…I LOVE IT!!

54. Cathy Crawley

May 14th, 2008 at 8:20 am

I have an image in my head of a photo shoot I am dying to make into reality where the bride is wearing cowboy boots under her gown. I can see it as clearly as day. I think you made a good purchase! Every time you wear those boots you are going to think of the special-once-in-a-lifetime trip you took with your Dad. Giddy-up Cowgirl!

55. Courtney

May 14th, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I, for one, LOVE the boots. They look awesome.
    And this has to be the most well written blog I’ve read so far today 🙂

56. Stephenie Dame

May 14th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I LOVE the boots!!!

57. Mary

May 14th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

You are a kick in the pants, especially with those boots. Crack me up. Love them. Now I know I have to go to Mexico for the perfect pair, as I myself, haven’t found ones I LOVE. Have fun in them!

58. Melissa Koehler

May 14th, 2008 at 3:16 pm

JD is too funny! I think you could pull of wearing anything 🙂 Have fun with your new boots

59. Matthew Saville

May 14th, 2008 at 3:28 pm

If that guy drinks seltzer, your revenge is indeed justified. 😛 =Matt=

60. brooke b

May 14th, 2008 at 3:32 pm

61. Erika Lais Photo Blog

May 14th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I also LOVE country boots!!!! These are wonderfull!!! Go ahead!!!!

62. Photography By Shay

May 14th, 2008 at 4:31 pm

*sing with me now* "These boots are made for walkin’, and that’s just what they’ll do….
    one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you!" LOL

Love the boots!!

63. Kelly Dena

May 14th, 2008 at 4:33 pm

I love, love, love your boots!!! I was in Texas a few weekends ago and I made my two girlfriends go with me to just about every boot store in search of the perfect pair~ I finally found some ~ and I want to wear them everyday!!! I think everyone thinks im crazy! Haha 🙂

64. Stacy Cross

May 14th, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Boots are only about 23% of what makes us Texas gals so darn cute!

65. MARCO

May 14th, 2008 at 5:53 pm

66. Jenn Stevens

May 14th, 2008 at 5:55 pm

They remind me of Footloose, and for that reason, I love them! Rock on girl!

67. star8278

May 14th, 2008 at 5:58 pm

I don’t live in Texas either and I wear my Justin Boots just about everyday. There’s just something about them that makes a pair of jeans feel dressier! Gotta love being different.

68. Ryan Takuma

May 14th, 2008 at 6:28 pm

My wife raved about your boots all night. So I had to check them out. Pretty cool…

69. Tiffany

May 14th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Love the new boots! I’m a fan of cowboy boots so i’m on your side fo sho!

70. Regina White

May 14th, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Girl they are HOT! JD needs to quit..

71. Blair Helms

May 14th, 2008 at 9:37 pm

LOVE them Jasmine!
    You rock those sexy boots girl. I love mine too 😉

72. Krystal Prue

May 14th, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Those rock girl!!! I gonna have to find me a pair.

73. david baxter

May 15th, 2008 at 1:25 am

gwok approved!

74. carissa

May 15th, 2008 at 5:31 am

honey you OWNED those boots today! i swear they actually make you shoot BETTER!!! if thats possible 🙂 you’re the best!!!

75. Kim

May 15th, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Love the boots, love the new blog!! And tell JD that this is one Texan who whole-heartedly gives you permission to wear your boots whenever and whereever you choose!!! LOVE THEM!

76. Paul Kremer

May 15th, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Sorry Jasmine, I’m not just teaming up with JD for the sake of boyhood, just a personal opinion we happen to share! haha! However, I do have to say that while I might not be digging the boots, I AM digging the new look of the blog! I love the "magazine page" look of it, as well as your new shots at the top! Keep it up! 🙂

77. Anna Ingalls

May 16th, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Girl you better go work in a horse stall for a few hours to work those things in a bit! They are adorable. I wear mine when I garden with my junky clothes, Cameron thinks I am crazy

78. Rachael

May 19th, 2008 at 4:47 am

I can’t help of thinking of that song, these boots are made for stomping…
    I love um! I have artistic apparel issues with my own mate. Got to love um anyway.