Your Neck of the Woods

Your Neck of the Woods

Photography

Let’s just get a few things straight: I love people. I love meeting people, laughing with people, and–quite honestly–I’m a great hugger. One of the reasons JD and I travel to speak is because we get to connect on a real level and create friendships…it’s one of the best career perks! The next couple months we’ll be out and about and I’d be honored to connect with you in your neck of the woods…

HOLLLLLLLA!! Yes, I’m so beyond excited to team up with creativeLIVE again for a FREE online course on how to build a wedding photography business. Feel free to register HERE and mark your calendars for this April 8-9, 2011 event. {For those of you who’ve been tweeting about it, thank you…I just wanna squeeeeze you!}

I’m incredibly honored to be joining forces with Akron Photo Series for a presentation on Tuesday, March 29, 2011. The three hour program will cover marketing and branding, and JD will be giving away free hugs as well. That’s priceless. Trust me. The best news is 10% of ticket proceeds will go to Akron Children’s Hospital and I’m honored to be a part of this event. Feel free to register here.

I’m terribly excited to be visiting the East Coast in March and it’ll be my first time in Connecticut…ever. Yes, I grew up sheltered and spoiled by the golden sun. I’ll be speaking at the CT Professional Photographer’s Association Conference, so if you’re in or around the Waterbury area (com’on…doesn’t that just sound so East Coast and FANCY?!), I’d love to meet you. For more registration info, feel free to click HERE

Lastly, I’m stoked to be joining my good friend Becker over at The B School Study Hall tomorrow Thursday, February 17, 2010 at 4-5pm PST. I’ll be taking your questions LIVE, so feel free to send them to me via Twitter, or you can leave them in the comment box below. The last time I was on, the questions were coming too fast I couldn’t keep up…I’ll be using questions from this post as a priority. ‘Cause we’re cool like dat.

Happy Wednesday!

comments

1. Kyle -

THAT IS DOPE!!!!!!!

2.16.11 - 3:26 pm

2. LEOLAK -

Yes, yes you do give great hugs! LOL Will definitely see if I can view the online appearances so my green with envy isn’t too bad. lol Safe travels to you and JD. When my brain wakes up I’ll send over a question. lol

2.16.11 - 3:48 pm

3. Deb Peluso -

AKRON!!!!!! AKRON!!!! I’m sooooooooooo there!!!

2.16.11 - 3:54 pm

4. Jenny -

HOLY CRAP youre coming to OH!!! i MUST BE THERE! YAY!!!

2.16.11 - 3:55 pm

5. angel -

YESSSS! You’re finally coming to the other side of the country and close to me! Yipppeeee! 😉

2.16.11 - 3:55 pm

6. Kristin -

Lol! Oh no!! Waterbury may not give you the best impression of CT!! Be sure to hang out around the shoreline a bit on your way into the state 🙂

2.16.11 - 3:59 pm

7. Stacy Hart -

Yay! I have family in Akron 🙂 I might be able to make that trip. You just made my day and you don’t even know it!

2.16.11 - 4:00 pm

8. Lea P. -

I am already packing my bags for seattle!!!!!
    I am so appreciative you are teaming up with CreativeLive again!! i couldnt enter the contest last time but this time…..LOOK OUT world!

2.16.11 - 4:07 pm

9. becca -

Awesome! Just signed up for your Akron presentation! I’m so happy someone awesome is finally coming to our area. 🙂

2.16.11 - 4:16 pm

10. richard grebby -

Ah, you are coming to Ct, Just when I have to leave and head back to the UK. Best of luck Jasmine with the travelling. Right now im packing my bags to go back home without my wife of only 4 days (she has to wait to get her visa) sad times 🙁

2.16.11 - 4:16 pm

11. Renee -

WOW! I can’t believe you are coming to Akron, Ohio of all places. That’s just a straight shot up north from me. I am in Cincinnati! How cool! Thank you for coming to a place no one ever does! 🙂

2.16.11 - 4:17 pm

12. Nina Grace -

Yay! I’m soo gonna audition to join your CreativeLive workshop 🙂 I’m so excited for you Jasmine..and Thank you for your willingness to openly and honestly share with others 🙂

P.S. you have to come down to FL sometime 😉 you’ll still get the warm sunny weather you’re used to loL

2.16.11 - 4:18 pm

13. Jennifer Bacchiocchi -

Can’t wait to see you in CT!

2.16.11 - 4:23 pm

14. Alex -

YESSSS! Another Creative Live! Can’t wait, Jasmine!

2.16.11 - 4:34 pm

15. Robin -

I can’t believe you are coming to Connecticut! I’m not a wedding photographer, but I would love to go to the conference just to hear you speak!

2.16.11 - 4:42 pm

16. Claudia@fabuluxephotos.com -

i registered!!! 🙂 love that you will be at creative live AGAIN…can’t wait

2.16.11 - 4:48 pm

17. Chelsie -

Do you ever come up to the Monterey Bay area? ust moved here a week ago. Excited to see everything California has to offer!

2.16.11 - 4:48 pm

18. MartaV -

YAY!!! I am beyond excited when I heard yesterday about CreativeLive. I can’t wait for you to be in Seattle again. It will be great. You and JD are so amazing in that you really share your knowelege with others. I think you have helped to start a great movement amongst the photographic community. You two totally ROCK! I’ll be watching on the Bschool tomorrow. Good Luck!

2.16.11 - 4:51 pm

19. Michelle -

YEA Connecticut! I hope you enjoy visiting our tiny little state! 🙂

2.16.11 - 4:56 pm

20. Kristin Nicole -

Beyond excited for creative live, I feel like the last course helped me push my business to the next level, and I can’t wait to get to the next!

2.16.11 - 5:05 pm

21. Kate Douthwright -

You are busy chica! I do have a question for your "Study Hall" with Becker. What do when a bride wants pricing for their wedding over a year away? I don’t have 2012 pricing yet but have gotten a few inquiries. I don’t want to pull pricing out of thin air. Thanks Jasmine!

2.16.11 - 5:14 pm

22. Brooke -

Awww Jasmine, come out and visit us in beautiful Colorado. A LOT of Californians move here, you might find a new home. 🙂

2.16.11 - 5:20 pm

23. Life with Kaishon -

Here is my question: Do you have business cards? Do you use cards with a picture?

That is all the brilliance I can come up with today.

2.16.11 - 5:21 pm

24. Stacey - Total City Girl -

Hey Jasmine! So excited that you’re heading over to the East Coast. I’m in NY and may consider coming to see you. It’s about an hour and a half drive from me. If this city girl can get past the whole driving thing, I’ll be there!

2.16.11 - 5:26 pm

25. feuza -

you finally come to east coast and its 128 miles away but I might just have to go!!! and never heard of that town in CT

2.16.11 - 5:35 pm

26. Jeremy -

I read a book that said even the car you drive should be "branded." Do you think that is true and what car you and JD drive?

2.16.11 - 5:41 pm

27. Stephanie Lyell -

I’m super pumped your coming to Akron, Oh. My husbands from that area, so we are going to visit his family and come to the seminar!! Can’t wait 🙂

2.16.11 - 5:52 pm

28. Lisa Cour -

Yes! I am already registered for CT and canNOT wait to see you again (we met at PPE in NYC this past Oct). I also bought your last Creative Live and I’ll be at the B school tomorrow. I hope you don’t consider me a stalker (cause sometimes I feel a little like one. 🙂

Its so funny that you think of "fancy" when you think of Waterbury. Though much of our state is beautiful, quaint, etc, Waterbury is not traditional thought of as any of those. You’ll see what I mean. 🙂

Can’t wait to see you and JD again!

2.16.11 - 5:54 pm

29. Shannon -

You have NO IDEA how freaking stoked I am!!! I live about 30 min from Waterbury and my jaw almost dropped when I saw you writting about it in this post. I was like oh she will be in my neck of the woods… yeah right… why would THE j* come to my neck of the woods. Boring old CT… yeah right… BUT YOU REALLY ARE!!! I totally just signed up for the conference and cannot tell you how totally excited I am! WAHOOOOOOOO 🙂

2.16.11 - 6:27 pm

30. Lydia -

I registered for the cL class as soon as I heard you were doing another one! Almost more excited about the business side than seeing you shoot because I need so much help in that area!

2.16.11 - 6:28 pm

31. Amy -

Come to South Florida! Totally different vibe than California and we need your style of photography down here. Desperately.

2.16.11 - 6:37 pm

32. Julie -

Do you take traditional family church altar photos and if yes, what kind of lighting do you use?

2.16.11 - 6:41 pm

33. Carrie LeighAnna -

Fort Myers, FL!! When that day comes, it will be wonderful. Your work is fabulous and I’d love to hear you speak on your methods and philosophies. Maybe one day I will 🙂

2.16.11 - 7:32 pm

34. Emily -

See you in OH!! Just registerd for the Akron presentation! ( :

2.16.11 - 7:39 pm

35. Elizabeth at Seaport Photo -

Thanks for heading back to Seattle and Creative Live!!!!

2.16.11 - 7:42 pm

36. April R. -

Do you have any advice on being a wedding photography in a small traditional town? I feel like I can’t be myself on my site and in my photography. I’m not even shooting wedding styles that portray what I love! I feel like I have to take the work though or I will have NO work! HELP!

2.16.11 - 7:47 pm

37. Cheryl Cronin -

We can’t wait for you to come to CT!! It’s going to be a great convention and we are really looking forward to having you speak at it! See you soon 😀

2.16.11 - 7:58 pm

38. Kristen -

Come to Detroit!

2.16.11 - 8:18 pm

39. Nicole -

I am so looking forward to seeing you and JD agian on CreativeLive! You guys rock!!!!

2.16.11 - 8:23 pm

40. Jessica Chavez -

How cool are these events!! New year, new opportunities!! Congrats Jas!! I second April with her question, how do we find customers that fit our style? What can we do to make our style more clear to them without being rude? How can we start creating a new photography industry in our traditional city? Thanks for the help!!!

2.16.11 - 8:32 pm

41. ramyad london wedding photographer -

I registered on CreativeLIVE yesterday when I saw you on the schedule, really looking forward to watching and listening over the two days. I really hope you’ll cover marketing and growth strategies for feldgling ( less than 3 seasons) businesses.

2.16.11 - 9:37 pm

42. Betsy Jo -

I’m glad you’re coming to CT, but please get some time outside of Waterbury!! Not to diss that place, but, um… not the prettiest town in CT. Check out the shore and the Western hills- now you’re talking! 🙂

2.16.11 - 9:38 pm

43. Susan Jennings -

Oh my goodness! When I read you would be in Ohio, I stood up an did a happy dance. This is only a little ways from home. I have already signed up for the seminar! I cannot wait to see you both again!!!

2.16.11 - 9:40 pm

44. Laura Olsen -

Another creativeLIVE! I. can’t. handle. it! *squeal* 🙂

I have a question that I have been wondering… we’ve seen your albums, but what about when a client orders a disc. Do you have a standard J* case or do you order a custom disc case for each client? (I have been making custom cases and they are making me crazy! There’s gotta be an easier way!) Either way, what’s your resource?

Off I go to register for your next installment of creativeLIVE.

P.S. When are you going to come to the gorgeous wedding mecca of Charleston, SC. I gotta get me a J* autograph.

2.16.11 - 10:02 pm

45. kristan -

No flippin’ way!!! Akron Ohio, REALLY?? God bless you! I’m driving up from Cincinnati for this one!

2.16.11 - 10:18 pm

46. Marissa Nicole -

Already requested the day off of work so I can view with no distractions. Looking forward to it.

2.16.11 - 10:55 pm

47. Jack Pope -

I’m so excited you are coming to waterbury! Can’t wait to skip school for your presentation!

2.16.11 - 11:01 pm

48. Laura -

What advice would you have to one just starting out? Are there any regrets that you have from when you were setting up your business?

2.16.11 - 11:09 pm

49. Lorrie Prothero -

?? for bschool: do you ever have times when you connect with the groom more than the bride? Maybe it’s more that I tend to have more guy friends than girl friends, but I’ve felt lately that it’s more comfortable for me to be one on one w/ the groom talking than the bride. Or am I just odd?

2.16.11 - 11:15 pm

50. Tanya -

Whoa….Ohio? In March? You know it snows here, right? 🙂 Hope I get to see you!

2.16.11 - 11:47 pm

51. briana moore -

Ok, I’m seriously heartbroken right now! I lived in SoCal for 10 years, moved to Boston just over a year ago, and often find myself sad that i never went to one of your workshops before moving. Now you are coming East… the one week I can’t get anymore time off. Want to come up to Boston for St Patty’s? I could buy you guys a pint, compare fave books, and try to refrain from peeing my pants in excitement. 😉

2.17.11 - 1:02 am

52. Jamie -

Come to Mpls. Come to Mpls. Come to Mpls. Please, pretty please? 🙂

2.17.11 - 2:48 am

53. daniel Gorman -

Jasmine OMG YOUR COMING TO AKRON!!!! I’m so excited I hope my deposit comes for my next wedding before it fills up.

2.17.11 - 4:00 am

54. jo ann -

Akron, Ohio?? That is awesome! Akron is my hometown and I am so proud of this. I volunteered at Akron Children’s Hospital in high school. Be sure to check out VegiTerranean while you’re there…it is an amazingly beautiful and delicious vegetarian restaurant owned by Chrissie Hynde. Safe travels!

2.17.11 - 5:46 am

55. Alexis Ritchie -

Hi Jasmine I have been a follower of yours for a year now and you have been such an inspiration to me!! I have just been asked to shoot my first wedding!!!!! AAAAHHHH!!!! I am absolutely terrified!!! My first meeting is today and I have know idea what to do. Any tips??

2.17.11 - 9:36 am

56. brittani -

yay, ohio!!! i am soo there. =)

=( specially since i will be missing out on WPPI…
    yay, ohio!!
    ♥

2.17.11 - 2:16 pm

57. Crystal -

You are coming to me in CT! SWEET!

2.17.11 - 6:24 pm

58. maryana -

Hi Jasmine! so cool you’ll be at bshool. I totally signed up because of your recommendation. And I think it’s just amazing.

my q-n to you is about marketing materials. What would you suggest is an absolute must for someone who’s starting out in photography? there are so many options on what to spend money, that it gets overwhelming. thank you so much.

2.17.11 - 9:28 pm

59. JUN MADAYAG -

ooohhh jasmine you’e gonna make me spend again 🙂

2.18.11 - 12:50 am

60. Jenna Danelle -

Yay B schoolers ROCK! I know you had a lot of leads from your own photog but can you touch on ideas on how to get leads when starting out please! Lol. Hope you accessorized tonight! 😉 You have great style, but I truly believe you can pull off anything though!

2.18.11 - 12:52 am

61. Ana -

I can’t wait to meet you when you come to CT!. I moved back from Cali about 2 years ago and now wish I hadn’t 🙁 ! Planning on moving back as soon as it is possible!

2.18.11 - 2:22 am

62. Jessica Sweeney -

When are you coming to SF? Soon, please.

2.18.11 - 5:20 am

63. Shawna -

So beyond thrilled that you will be making the trip to OH… and NE OH, nonetheless!! Can’t wait to meet you! 🙂

2.18.11 - 1:25 pm

64. Kathleen -

O.my.goodness! April 8th cannot come soon enough! I’ve been itching to catch you on Creative Live. Hooray <3

2.18.11 - 2:24 pm

65. Sheryl -

I’d LOVE it if you could ever come to Mississippi!!

2.18.11 - 5:05 pm

66. Erica Velasco -

Just registered for Creative LIve! Can’t wait!

2.19.11 - 1:21 am

67. Allyson Garrison -

Awesome blossom! I just registered for Creative Live, and I can’t wait!!!

2.19.11 - 10:40 pm

68. John Andersen -

That’s awesome! We’d love to have you come up to beautiful Burlington, Vermont!

2.20.11 - 5:23 pm

69. Alicia Candelora -

I am not sure how I *just* saw this post, but I can’t believe I will be in Europe when you are in my home state of CT. *le sigh* I don’t want to burst your fantasy bubble, but Waterbury is known as the cesspool of Connecticut. I kid you not. And it lives up to its rep. Definitely NOT East Coast and fancy. If you want a town much more New England-y then you need to check out Mystic or Kent, CT. And next time, visit us in October…you will be blown away by the colors. 🙂

2.20.11 - 6:21 pm

70. mitchel -

great images

2.20.11 - 11:13 pm

71. Briana Gardell -

I’m so excited you’re coming to the East Coast! I’ll be driving down to Waterbury from MA to come see you 🙂

2.22.11 - 4:52 pm

72. KellieAnn -

When I saw you are headin’ to Ohio, I nearly squealed (which seriously doesn’t happen often). Yay!

2.23.11 - 3:27 am

73. Tanya -

Happy that you’re going to make it to our neck of the woods! I’m psyched and hope I can attend the Akron meeting. Just wanted to mention that with you loving music so much, try and check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame while you’re here. It’s not too too far from Akron and well worth the visit 🙂

3.3.11 - 2:52 pm