Establishing a Daily Routine for Entrepreneurs

Business

Dear Jasmine,
What is a glimpse into your morning routine? I’m a bit disheveled and unorganized and I know that successful entrepreneurs have a daily routine that they follow that helps keep them on track. But I’m not sure where to start or how to structure my day.
Do you mind sharing how you developed your daily routine and any advice on how to develop one?
Sincerely,
Disheveled and Unorganized

Dear Disheveled and Unorganized,
Are you sure you want to know the answer to this question? I’m afraid it’s not pretty and makes the dream of running your own business disintegrate in some way. Now that you’re warned, proceed at your own risk…

Three Tips for Establishing a Daily Routine for Entrepreneurs

1. Determine Your Peak Performance Hours
Everyone is different, especially when they’re ready to get a ton of work done. I’ve learned that my peak hours are 6:00-7:15 a.m. and 1:00-4:30 p.m.. For some reason, my brain is wired to power through at these times, so I do everything I can to arrange my day for peak performance. Because I know my brain will be fired up at 6:00 a.m., I wake up at 5:30 to pray, meditate and read. I intentionally start my morning with peace and solitude, then tackle my inbox for an hour. Then I plan the rest of my day according to obligations, meetings, and other things related to business.
However, I try to block out the hours of 1:00-4:30 p.m. as the time I create. This is when I write, I craft blog posts, I edit photos, I execute new projects. I protect this time and try to turn off technology to help me focus.

If you are most productive at night, the create a schedule that gives you the latitude to lock yourself away to get work done. It’s important to explain to your spouse/partner/family your schedule and ask for their support. If they give it to you, don’t squander it scrolling through Facebook insisting you’re doing “research”! (Been there, done that.)

2. Organize Your Week
On Sunday night, I review my week and itemize my commitments. I send follow-up emails to confirm meetings so I can carefully craft each day around the commute, the prep-time, and the meeting itself. Knowing just how much time each task needs it so important in scheduling your time.

3. Organize Your Day
Every morning I have two post-it notes on my desk. The first note is everything that needs to be done that day. The second post-in note is a timeline I must work from to accomplish all the tasks. Because there’s so much to do and never enough time, I promise myself to stay within the timeline. (Yes, I know I sound as cool as a root canal, but it works.)

Here’s a sample timeline from yesterday…
5:30am Wake up
12:15pm Write content for The Path to Profitability
3:00pm Consulting meeting – Skype
3:45pm Write blog post
4:25pm Check in with social media
4:45pm Check in with business accountability group on Facebook
5:15pm Email
6:00pm Dinner (yes, I’m an early eater…does that make me OLD?!)
7:00pm Take a bath and read
8:00pm Watch trashy TV (can I get a witness?!)

In short, working during my peak performance hours, scheduling my week, and scheduling each day has proven to be the most effective way to create a routine. As I’m sure you can attest, running a business takes a lot of hard work and dedication. While I love what I do as a creative, I must understand that the work I do everyday sustains a flow of income. If I don’t schedule myself to work, I’ll always feel like I’m behind or completely overwhelmed.

If you’d like more tips in running an effective and profitable business, I’d love to see you at The Path to Profitability.com!

comments

1. James

February 4th, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I am terrible with my daily routine! This is a good reminder for me to get my act together and get myself sorted out 🙂

2. Claudia

February 4th, 2016 at 4:08 pm

I don’t know why but I love to see this kinds of posts…. I just love to know what people do daily… love. it. 🙂

3. Camille

February 4th, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Holy cow! Loved seeing this. <3

4. Leandra

February 4th, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Thanks so much for the helpful tips! I can’t wait to get started and get on a routine. 🙂

5. Julie clapham

February 4th, 2016 at 7:36 pm

I think I’m going to start my Jasmine Star binder!! Lol
    You are so much fun! And I LOVE reading all your materials. I start my day with prayer also, thank you for listing that. It made me smile.
    Continue to be yourself..
    Your contageous! <3

6. Carmen

February 4th, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Scrolling through FB for research…lol!! That would be me. I was just thinking about writing down a schedule today. Thanks for the encouragement to do so!!

7. Linda

February 4th, 2016 at 11:42 pm

That was so simple yet so hard to do. I have been trying to put myself on a schedule but so hard to stay with it. But I’m no quitter! Thank you for the great wisdom, as always.

Linda Baca

8. Annabelle

February 5th, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Your work schedule looks free-spirited and enviable to the people who have to work the traditional 9 to 5 job! 🙂 Thanks for sharing this valuable advice for us creative types. God bless you!

9. Elizabeth

February 5th, 2016 at 5:24 pm

eating at 6 doesn’t make you old at all… eating at 6 so you don’t get heartburn in bed is getting old…don’t look at me..LOL

10. Matthew Basile

February 6th, 2016 at 4:30 am

That is some great insight, Jasmine! I’ve noticed higher productivity and fewer distractions when I write down what I need to get done, but I’ve never adopted it as my way of operating. Its time for a change!

11. Danielle Furstenberg

February 6th, 2016 at 4:54 am

This is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing it. I like that you have a set time for checking social media, and I’m so excited about the start of all the Path to Profitability content!
    You’re my role model, and I love that you’re going to start sharing more content on entrepreneurial topics.
    I’ve learned soooooooooo much from you about photography already, and I’m really excited to learn even more about business from you!

12. Daisy Bailey

February 6th, 2016 at 9:09 pm

This is spot on! A great reminder to be focused & get organised!

13. Jodi Harris

February 6th, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your schedule. I always was curious about how you got it all done.

14. Nick

February 8th, 2016 at 10:55 pm

I think I need to plan out my days more. Great post! Very helpful.

15. Devon Wedding Photographer Alex Toze

February 8th, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I have stopped using time as an excuse. It’s all too easy to say it but then review what you actually end up doing with that time, can be an eye opening. Listing out the day helps a treat, puts it all into perspective and highlights procrastination, great post.

16. Sue Ann Simon Photography

February 11th, 2016 at 12:39 pm

OMG!! This is music to my ears!! I’m a combination of a procrastination-master and a hot-mess-disaster when it comes to organization! Great tips! I’ll definitely get on with maximising my my peak performance hours! 🙂

17. Clipping Path

February 15th, 2016 at 9:56 am

Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..and it totally depends on a good schedule. I like your schedule.

18. Diana Elizabeth

February 15th, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Laughing at the watch trashy TV! You crack me up, I love it!! Thanks for sharing you day, it’s apparent I need to wake up earlier, you are so productive!

19. Kim

February 16th, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Wait…turn off social media? And there lies my problem!

20. Marcel Alain Photography

February 19th, 2016 at 5:58 am

Whoa needed this! It seems like common sense but ya know…now it’s all laid out in a way I understand. Thank you!!!

21. Nikole

February 23rd, 2016 at 2:45 am

I love this advice. I have to plan my day the night before because I’m always chasing the morning.

22. Joshua Tree Photographer: Family Photography Session with Marisa McDonald Photography » Marisa McDonald Photography

January 13th, 2017 at 10:06 pm

[…] invoices, the blogging. I’ve been trying to do better at this piece by piece. I loved this blog post I read (by a fellow law school graduate/photographer!) recently that encourages entrepreneurs (even […]