Good Reads : The Book Thief + One Day

I suppose it’s that time of year. Rain, chill, the desire to see chestnuts roasting on an open fire. I have the urge to stay permanently dressed in baggy sweats–the ones that are discolored and shred at the bottom–with my hair in a messy bun. In bed. With a book, a package of Nutter Butters, and a bell I can ring whenever I need a massage. Because that right there? That’s what I call HEAVEN.

Seeing how I’m nowhere near that divine state (although those sweats still make a weekly appearance), I take whatever luxuries I can get. Two recent luxuries go hand-in-hand for me. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Gail Werner. We have yet to meet in real life, but we recently connected over a book and I’ve decided to make her my new cyber friend. It’s creepy in that Mom-said-don’t-talk-to-strangers-on-the-internet kind of way, but she’s been a good sport about it. Especially after the restraining order request.

Which leads me to my other luxury: Reading. You see, what Gail started for me was a long line of falling in love. With books. Again. For a while, I hopped from book to book, sometimes loving what I read, most of the time not. Then she sent me The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I was forever changed. I fell in love again. Madly, passionately. Gail mailed me the book and even included post-in notes at the most beautiful parts of the book…like we were sharing it together.

When I finished the book, I laid on the sofa and sobbed. And sobbed. JD walked in from walking the dog and he thought someone died. And I kept on crying through dinner as I explained the story. It’s one of those books in my life that ranks up there with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and East of Eden. Yes, THAT good.

Since then–instead of aimlessly walking the aisles of Barnes&Noble–I simply turn to Gail and a few other bookie friends for their requests. And, like magic, I’m reading in every spare minute of my day. I love it. Here’s what I bought last night…

In case anyone is looking for a few good reads, here’s what I recently finished…
*One Day by David Nicholls – It’s a love story wrapped in the complexities of life and tied with a humorous bow. It’s everything a Hollywood chick flick should be…just written better and more relatable.
*A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. Now before you go thinking, That’s the Blue Like Jazz guy…he’s not. Well, he is. But not to me. I started Blue Like Jazz, then put it down because I was feeling ehhhh about it. Then I was given A Million Miles…and my life is different. So.incredibly.different. In the process of writing his story, Miller discovered he didn’t like the one his life was telling. So he changed it. And writes how everyone can do the same. Augh. Love him.
*This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. I’m definitely big on sarcasm, so I found Tropper so appealing and hilarious. He writes from a strong male perspective (i.e. not so family friendly) about loss, love, and figuring out how to survive when life turns upside down. Sometimes the scenarios were over the top, but the story–and his unique ability to have you laughing one second, and crying the next–was definitely refreshing.
*Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist. I know I should like this book more than I do, but I don’t. It was a decent read, but altogether a little cookies&milk for my liking. Niequist writes inspirational and semi-religious stories and while they might have been great, I’m just used to Anne Lamott’s style of inspirational writing. If Lamott is too harsh/crazy for you, then Niequiest is her After School Special spin off.
*Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. I don’t know where to begin with this book. It was one of the longgggest books I’ve ever read. Or at least it felt that way. I tried putting the book away, but something kept drawing me back to it. Franzen is clearly a gifted writer and manages to write about decades of life powerfully, but I just couldn’t get into the story itself. As I flipped the last page of the book, I closed it feeling empty. I’m sure there are a group of people with pitchforks ready to come after me (it was Oprah’s book of the month, for crying out loud!), but I wouldn’t recommend it. I, however, am glad I read it. If that makes any sense at all.

Whoa, this post is way too long.

Happy Monday!

1. Tina

November 8th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Gail is the best:)

2. Melissa

November 8th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Oh you are going to love Hunger Games! Such a powerful series. Are you on Goodreads? Its a great networking tool for voracious readers such as yourself.

3. Holly

November 8th, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Hunger Games – BEST BOOK EVER! It is my all time fave!! Enjoy it!!

4. Ginger

November 8th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

You definitely need a Kindle!! It will change your life. πŸ™‚

5. Jasmine*

November 8th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

@Ginger: Nope…I have a Kindle and I won’t use it. Refuse to. I’m a turn-my-pages kinda girl. And I like smelling my books. Weird, I know. πŸ˜‰

6. Megan @ COUTUREmotion Films

November 8th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE This Is Where I Leave You! Sarcasm at its best and what great characters. Totally agree about the laughing one moment crying the next.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

7. Life with Kaishon

November 8th, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I just started the Shack. I need a book like the one you described. A book that makes me fall in love with reading again. Great list. Thank you. Jotting down titles as I type!

8. Marissa Rodriguez

November 8th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I was just telling myself the other day that I need to start reading again! I always get caught up in everything else and I don’t make time for my "me" time which usually includes a book. And whenever you post what you’re reading, it inspires me to get back on track! So thanks! :)I’m headed to Hawaii next week and I’ve just confirmed a few dates with the beach and my books πŸ™‚ And ummmmm, this comment is way too long.

9. Danielle

November 8th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

MODOC—being an animal lover you will not be able to put it down, this is by far my favorite book EVER!

10. Melissa

November 8th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Ahhhhh The Hunger Games!!! One of my favorite trilogies. When someone suggested them to me I read them at break neck speed not knowing the 3rd one wasn’t coming out for another 4 months. I desperately was lost until it arrived in book stores. And when I came to the last chapter of the 3rd book I started to get depressed b/c I knew there wasn’t another to follow and tried to savor every word. I LOVE BOOKS LIKE THAT!!! Enjoy it and if you haven’t read the two before it please consider reading them first before reading the last one.

11. Judy Richards

November 8th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Hunger Games is great… however, be prepared to be disturbed… I mean really disturbed. It disturbed me so much I had to read the rest of the series and am now in the process of reading them again! πŸ˜‰ Enjoy!

12. Jeannette Neal

November 8th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Prepare to read Hunger Games in 4 days, Catching Fire (the sequel) in 3 days, and Mockingjay in 2. You’ll love them. I just barely started The Book Thief, so now I’m super excited!

13. Kirsten

November 8th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Just ordered The Book Thief from, Jasmine. It better be good :p

14. Courtney Howell

November 8th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I follow Gail’s blog and she is a wonderful person/photographer. This makes me want to get into reading again too….I miss it! If I could just find the time….

15. Lauryn Galloway

November 8th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

ooo I love the book thief. I thought it was so genius how death as a character narrated it. that kind of perspective was so heart breaking.

16. Arlenphye

November 8th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Book Thief as well. Try The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom!

17. Joy D

November 8th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Aaaaaaah! Love it!

I have a degree in English and adore books. I love it when someone has a passion for reading and shares.

18. Laura Radniecki

November 8th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Jasmine, I’m absolutely right there with you on the loving an actual book in your hands kind of girl. I adore the public library – I think it’s so magnificent that in this era, we can still get something for free. I like to see the dog eared pages that people have folded down to mark their spot. I like to see the cover art. I love reading too. Thanks for the book recommendations. I’m about finished with LaVyrle Spencer’s entire collection – her romantic stories just sweep me away. I can’t get enough.

19. Arielle

November 8th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

oooh…You’re going to love THE HUNGER GAMES! I’m so jealous of someone who gets to read a great novel for the first time πŸ™‚

20. April Cochran-Smith

November 8th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

When Gail did our family photos (which were ahhh-mazing btw), we started talking about books & she recommended The Book Thief. I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much about a book in my life. I tried to describe it to my husband and kept getting choked up, so the poor guy still doesn’t really know what it’s about πŸ™‚ I just started The Hunger Games series & I think you’ll like it a lot. Hooray for Gail!

21. Kristin

November 8th, 2010 at 4:34 pm

SHUT UP!! I clicked on this from your tweet and was hoping One Day would be one of your good reads!!! Woo hoo!! Second that times a million!

22. Ravyn

November 8th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Isn’t Gail wonderful? I love reading her 10 on Tuesdays posts just for those little tips on her favorite books & music. That girl has good taste!

23. katie

November 8th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

The Book Theif is one of my absolute favorites! I adore that book…and get ready to be sucked in by the Hunger Games, you will read it in about two days and then drag yourself to the store to buy the next book in the series. You may as well buy the last two while your there because the second book leaves you just as hungry for the third and final book. Just be glad you started it when all three are out! I read the first one when it came out, and her cliffhangers are torture!

24. Alicia

November 8th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I just finished the Hunger Games series and was left with such an emptiness. They are such amazing books. The kind that you can’t stop thinking about long after you’ve finished reading. I’ve been trying to pick a new book so thanks for the recommendations!

25. Kristin

November 8th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Also, did you know One Day just finished filming as a movie? Anne Hathaway is Emma.. hoping they’ll do the book justice!

26. Hannah

November 8th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I absolutely loved The Book Thief, it was one of the most poignant books I’ve ever read. I really enjoyed the first two books in the Hunger Games trilogy as well but the 3rd book just totally fell off a cliff in my opinion. Other great books I’ve read recently: Dune (one of the best science fiction books I’ve ever read), Suite Francaise (heartbreaking but in a different way from the Book Thief. Knowing the fate of the author who wrote the book during the Nazi occupation of France makes the book unlike anything else in the world of literature), The Poisonous Bible (engrossing and epic), Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life (fun light "read" super funny and irreverent).

27. Sarah

November 8th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I LOVE A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. I listened to a sermon last year that he gave about his process and it CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I had to buy the book the day it came out!

28. jackie g. photog

November 8th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I’m having trouble getting into "Freedom," but as a dog lover, you HAVE to read Garth Stein’s "The Art of Racing in the Rain" I bawled and bawled!!! so good!!

29. Melinda

November 8th, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I too get all my good book recommendations from Gail!

30. Jen

November 8th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I so agree with you on A Million Miles (and Blue Like Jazz). Heck I even gave $25.00 to help support the Blue Like Jazz movie – not because I liked BLJ but because I absolutely fell in love with A Million Miles! I’ll have to check out some of the other books you listed. Oh, and I completely agree with you about being a page-turning-kind-of girl. (I love the smell of books too.) πŸ™‚

31. gina

November 8th, 2010 at 4:57 pm

these are by far my fav posts of yours!

32. carrie

November 8th, 2010 at 4:59 pm

So glad everyone feels the way I did about Hunger Games! I did not eat or sleep until I had finished the book. My house lay in shambles around me as I sat considering the story for days after. I am genuinely afraid I will never love another book the way I loved the Hunger Games!!!

33. jackie

November 8th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Jasmine I loved this post. Thanks so much for posing some info on new books to read. I like you hop from book to book until I find something decent to read. So appreciate your suggestions. I trust your judgement on good books as I love East of Eden!

Happy readings.

34. Harmony Loves

November 8th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Thank you so much for your recommendations! I waste so much time and money on bad or boring books. And I’m at a point where I can no longer trust Oprah! I know!
    You! Are my new Oprah πŸ˜‰

35. Lisa

November 8th, 2010 at 5:14 pm

thanks so much for the recommendations! im a big reader and love adding new books to my list. youll love the hunger games trilogy– its amazing! i tell friends its the next twilight series πŸ™‚

36. Jackie Lamas

November 8th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

awe i heart to read too!

37. Melissa Pearce

November 8th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Ok ok ok. I love when others tell me great books to read, and thanks to your blog, I have read several of your recommendations! Anne Lamott, Jhumpa Lahiri, and of course, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. That has to be one of my favorites of all time. Thanks. For sharing. Really.

38. Marta V

November 8th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Thank you so much for sharing some good reads. I have always been a huge bookworm and love finding out about new ones to check out. I’ll be stopping by the bookstore or library today I think. πŸ™‚

39. Artemis Clover: The real L.A. love story.

November 8th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

love love love to read! and i am always on the lookout for good books but sometimes they are hard to come by since there are so many things out there. thanks for the recommendation. i wish you had written this before i splurged at the book store last weekend!

40. winne

November 8th, 2010 at 5:26 pm

LOVE this post. I’ve been looking for ‘must-read’ to add to my pile as I get ready for my 6 weeks medical leave from work. I worry that I won’t know what to do with myself so this is a great addition.

41. Romonia Isaac

November 8th, 2010 at 5:30 pm

You would be my Gail! You always share good reads and stories about how good a certain book/author is I truly appreciate it–as well as a lot of others. Although I wish I had more time to read, thank you for the list. I will definitely look into those–maybe I should ask Santa for an iPad for Christmas. πŸ˜€ It would allow me to read so much more! Happy Monday Jasmine! Hope you enjoyed that extra hour–aren’t the Travel Gods wonderful!!! πŸ˜‰

42. Basia

November 8th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Love Gail and her book selections! I have a friend like Gail, and she recommends books I would NEVER find or pick up on my own (because I cowardly stick to the top of the charts selections) So, my friend recommended "My name is Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok – and I pass it on- so beautiful!

43. Peter Pan

November 8th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Do you suggest any businesses books and what is your favorite shutterspeed?

44. kristin brown

November 8th, 2010 at 6:07 pm

jasmine! i LOVE the book theif! when it ended i cried and cried too. one of my all time favorite books. and thank you for the other recommendations–i’m always looking for good fiction since all i ever find myself reading is non-fiction.

45. Pua

November 8th, 2010 at 6:10 pm

LOVE this post! I’m always looking for a good book, and between all the gazillions of crazy things that I deal with on the day-to-day, I’ve neglected to just set time aside to sit down and read something good. I’ve got 3 days off this week to come see YOU at the YWD workshop! I’ll have to pick one of these up to get some reading done on my mini-vacay :)!

46. Lydia Gross

November 8th, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I read Gail’s blog every day too! She has so many wonderful things to say about books and music and life in general. She is a little bit of Indiana inspiration πŸ™‚

47. Rebekah

November 8th, 2010 at 6:27 pm

You have talked me into The Book Thief and I am so excited to read it. If you would like more recommendations for amazing reading check out my good friends blog She has impeccable taste and style and is an amazing writer herself. She also has books for purchase that are as beautiful to the eyes as to the soul.

48. Briana

November 8th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

OK… seeing as you just referenced East of Eden, I will trust I can read any of these books ;).

49. becca

November 8th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

you should add this to your list!:

50. Camille

November 8th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Oh The Hunger Games. My heart was just fluttered a little. Not because of the story line (pretty sad) but the book is so powerful. One of my favorites!

51. Gail

November 8th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

You’re sweet Jasmine πŸ™‚ Grateful for our online friendship and to hear a novel as beautiful as The Book Thief has you burning through the pages of so many other good books.

This post made me think of one of my favorite quotes: Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. β€” Mark Twain

PS – My turn to read one of your faves. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has sat in my unread library for FAR too long!

52. Kat

November 8th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I just finished A Million Miles in a Thousand Years last week, and was so moved and challenged to live a worthy life worth telling. And also, I realized I want Bob Goff to adopt me.

53. trishia

November 8th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

just finished "then we came to the end", it was addicting in that way of nothing happens so you have to keep reading to see when something will happen. but in the end i felt good about having read it.

one thing to check out (sorry if someone already said this, i don’t have time to read all the comments) is LibraryThing. I’m on there as trishiag. You can type in a book you liked and get recommendations from other readers, kinda like a community pandora for books! love it πŸ™‚

54. Mara

November 8th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Love your posts on books! I am always looking for recommendations/thoughts, and we seem to have similar taste in books. thanks again!

55. michelle carrillo

November 8th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

oooh… I am finishing up the 3rd book of the Hunger Games series. sooooo awesome. I saw a writeup of the series in Entertainment Weekly and knew I had to give it a shot.

56. lydia {ever ours}

November 8th, 2010 at 9:15 pm

i’ve read "one day" three times already. such a good book. p.s. it IS being made into a movie btw πŸ™‚ starring anne hathaway.

57. Amy

November 8th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

You must read The Noticer by Andy Andrews! He also wrote The Traveler’s Gift. You can finish it in a day and I promise you, it will be a book you will give to friends and family because is that wonderful! Promise!

58. Sydni Rae

November 8th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

The Hunger Games is amazing!!!!!!
    I read each of the books in this trilogy as they came out. Pure torture having to wait. Lucky for you, you can pick them up at one time.
    It is so different than other books that are out and a complete mind twister.
    Happy Readings J*!

59. Kyle

November 8th, 2010 at 9:54 pm

The first Hunger Games book is AMAZING. Second is good, and third is ok, but still, overall the trilogy rocks my socks. I read all three in two days!

You need a Kindle. We got one and it changed my life. You wouldn’t believe how much I read now!

60. Linnea

November 8th, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Oh, you will love The Hunger Games! The whole series is great.
    I also recently read The Help, and I loved that. High recommend.

61. bobbi

November 9th, 2010 at 12:00 am

I don’t know books… but I do know Gail… and I love her πŸ™‚ High fives to pretty girls who read!

62. Amber Fox

November 9th, 2010 at 1:22 am

I LOVE Gail Werner too. She is one of my cyber friends as well, and she is simply the best! I am so glad she turned you on to reading again. My hubby was just making fun of me how all I read is business books and how a college educated person should be reading real novels too. So thanks for the inspiring post.

63. Mary-Beth

November 9th, 2010 at 1:26 am

I’m so glad you posted about this! I have been in between books for a while now and It’s driving me crazy!:) i will definitely check out some of your suggestions. P.S. Donald Miller’s new book was amazing, you’re right!:)

64. Mary-Beth

November 9th, 2010 at 1:26 am

65. ashley

November 9th, 2010 at 1:54 am

Hunger Games series will kill you. Be prepared.

66. Marie

November 9th, 2010 at 2:34 am

Hi Jasmine, I have followed your blog for a couple of years now, but never commented before. I had to today, because I love to read, and am in-between books, so this post came at the perfect time for me. Thank you. Also, a couple of my recent favorite books are The Help and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Thanks for the daily inspiration you give to all of us!

67. Lee Ann

November 9th, 2010 at 3:00 am

The Hunger Games series is one of my favorites! And you may want to block out your weekend when you start.

68. Dee

November 9th, 2010 at 3:05 am

Oh wow. That is exactly how I am finding myself now. It’s funny though, especially since I finally got a NOOK, I find myself less inspired to read! And I am a self-declared bookworm! πŸ™ It makes me sad. Thanks for the suggestions Jasmine.

69. Sara S

November 9th, 2010 at 4:02 am

I can’t believe you bought The Hunger Games without the next two in the series. You’ll be headed back to the book store soon!

70. Mikaela

November 9th, 2010 at 7:16 am

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years is one of my FAVES! Reading it a second time now, though yes, I never finished Blue Light Jazz either.

71. s h e r r y

November 9th, 2010 at 7:44 am

I just recently started reading again. The Hunger Games (& Catching Fire & Mockingjay) are AMAZING. I think you’ll really like them…

72. Charity

November 9th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Jaz, If you haven’t read Under the Dome by Steven King, I think that would be a wonderful choice. Now I know that a. it seems daunting having some 1300 pages and all and b. most people crinkle their noses up in disgust at the mention of King, but DO NOT LET THAT STOP YOU. This book is wonderful, I mean simply delectable. It’s fulfilling, heart stopping, and deliciously delightful with every page you turn. By the end I cried, I cried because I was moved. I cried because the characters became my family. I cried because I would never have the chance to read this literally masterpiece for the first again. Try it. If I’m wrong, then you’ve just read another so-so book. If I’m right then I’ve just helped make your life a better if only for the week (That’s right… week, I couldn’t put it down.) and give you something to remember for the rest of your life. In addition, I don’t let people kill ants anymore. (You’ll get it when you read it.) Love, Charity.
    P.S. Thanks for all of your blogging. I feel like I’m not the only person in the world when I read your blog.

73. Shuva Rahim

November 9th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the recommendations!! Only wish I had more TIME to read πŸ™‚

74. Nicola (PointyPix)

November 9th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Hi Jasmine, As an avid reader, I had to comment on this post. If you haven’t yet discovered Mitch Albom you should definitely do so. His books ‘The five people you meet in heaven’ and ‘Tuesday with Morrie’ are 2 of the most thought provoking and beautifully written books I’ve ever read. I bawled like a baby at the end of both. He is an inspirational writer.

75. anda

November 9th, 2010 at 5:03 pm

your book posts are my faves after the FAQs. love it! also, love most these books, too. i don’t like jonathan franzen either (in novel form). his essays are great though. i subscribe to the new yorker pretty much for his essays alone.

76. LEOLAK

November 9th, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Sounds like great suggestions…thanks! I’m reading "The Voice Of Knowledge" by Don Miguel Ruiz, it’s really an eye-opener to really accepting you for you and breaking the false truths you don’t even realize you are giving power to. I think you’d enjoy it! Thanks J*!

77. amanda thiessen

November 9th, 2010 at 6:14 pm

thanks for posting good reads! i am actually reading the last harry potter book for the thousandth time..i can’t help it, it’s good!

78. Anne BΓΌnnig

November 9th, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Thanks so much for more recommendations! So far I enjoyed every book that you recommended in the past.

I have a recommendation for you to: At the moment I enjoy reading the books of Carlos Ruiz Zafon: The Angel’s game and The shadow of the wind.

If you find it, you definitely should check it out.

Thanks again!

79. Rachel Dallaire

November 9th, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I absolutely *loved* The Book Thief (I read it this past summer)…it made me cry as well. πŸ™‚ I also love The Hunger Games trilogy-I even got my husband to read them with me! An older one that you might like if you haven’t read it yet, The Giver by Lois Lowry. It’s another dystopian one that is super good. πŸ™‚

80. christy

November 9th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

My son actually had to read that book in the last year in the 8th grade and he totally loved it…my son is not a big reader, but that book got him reading a little bit i’ll have to borrow it from him and read it! Thanks for the recommendation:)

81. Christa

November 10th, 2010 at 2:33 am

Hmmm…I’ll have to check some of these books out. I did read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn after you mentioned it in a previous post and I just wasn’t blown away by it πŸ™ Guess we perceived it differently…but that’s what makes us all unique and special….lol πŸ™‚ Love you!

82. melissa

November 10th, 2010 at 4:11 am

You’re going to looooove Hunger Games! I am presently reading Catching Fire (the second book after hunger games) and its just amazing!

83. tanya

November 10th, 2010 at 4:25 am

ok, so I think your amazing…..I love reading your blog and I’m not a photographer……yet……just saving up for a camera! Anyway, I see your reading the Hunger Games, which is what I’m currently reading and Loved the Book Theif…..woop woop!

84. Autumn

November 10th, 2010 at 5:01 am

I will have to check some of these out! It is totally "book reading season" right now…especially in cold Oklahoma! I am finishing up a new book by Nicholas Sparks called "Safe Haven". If you like love stories (which it is obvious that you do) then Nicholas Sparks will become your new best friend-unless of course, you have already found him…in that case-you almost become anxious awaiting on his new arrivals, as he has only written about 15 books total!

85. Teri Pozniak

November 10th, 2010 at 6:14 am

Just recommended that my book club check out your list….and your images! We just read Little B & it was really good!

86. Izzy Hudgins

November 10th, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Duuuuuuuuuuude. This book has been on my blogging to do list for a few weeks – I know, I know, I need to on it! I loooooooved this book too! My favorite passage was the one where Papa spends the first night with Liesel and she talks about how she just needed someone to be there – that thereness was all – no talking – just someone to be there – anyway, itll be on the blog soon!

87. courtney

November 10th, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I really really loved blue like jazz- thought it was lol funny. started million miles…and it’s lost somewhere! anyhow- you MUST read BEL CANTO. it’s amazing.

88. Kristina

November 10th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Just WAIT till you get into the Hunger Games – you won’t be able to put it down! And then you’ll have to read the rest of the trilogy! It’s sooooooo so so good.

Since you’re big on sarcasm, have you read the Spellman Files?

89. brittani

November 11th, 2010 at 3:26 am

Jasmine Star, I just want to say this:
    you are a hard core trend setter. In the best way possible!
    I mean, really, the things you say? They become almost law in the world of wedding photographers. And your blog? You have devout followers, dear.
    rock on.

oh yea, and I’m reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. =) So far, I’m diggin it!

90. Lindsey Shea

November 11th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I love all of your book recommendations…it’s so helpful when I’m looking for good ideas on what to read next! Thanks for taking the time to do that!

91. Brooke

November 11th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Hey Jasmine! Check out GoodReads – it’s like Facebook but for books. You "friend" people and then see their recommendations, and what they’re reading, etc. Very cool. πŸ™‚ (And no, I don’t work for them, I just enjoy it!)

92. Mandy Henry

November 12th, 2010 at 12:56 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I usually pack all of my reading into Holiday Travel, so I was looking for some new reads. I know I’ll like it because we seem to have thre same taste (East of Eden is my all time favorite and my Daughter is named after one of the main characters, Abra.) BTW, try Shauna Neiquists newest book Bitter Sweet. You may like it better. πŸ™‚

93. Sue Jackson

November 12th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Jasmine –

What a great post! A friend told me about your blog because she knew I’d love this post about books. I am also an avid reader and write two book blogs – Book By Book:

And Great Books for Kids and Teens:

Like you, I sort of rediscovered the joys of reading about 7 years ago when I joined my first book group. I’m in two of them now and love the wide variety of books!

Book Thief, The Hunger Games trilogy, are some of my favorites, and I also loved This is Where I Leave You. Some other recent favorites include The Help and Mudbound.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Sue Jackson

94. Lauren Hurt

November 13th, 2010 at 2:14 am

Jasmine, I just started reading your blog since my friend Michelle (Cross, one of your workshop models) recommended it when I moved to LA. Well I LOVE this post! I’ve totally been dealing with literature lust this season.. East of Eden is my all time fave, I couldn’t lock into Franzen, and I got knocked on my butt by A Million Miles. Currently crawling through Kerouac’s On The Road and A Brave New World is on deck. So Fun to hear about your picks!

95. PattyL

November 14th, 2010 at 1:08 am

I also read The Book Thief a few weeks ago and also felt it was life altering. I did not read his previous book, but have been told it by those who read it that they loved it, too.

96. Juli L.

November 14th, 2010 at 6:45 am

I love to read and try to whenever I can…usually in the evening after I’ve put my daughter to bed, but the problem is then I stay up way too late and am sooo tired in the morning. So now I have kinda a curfew for myself…lol, but anyways I read the Book Thief too and that one got me…I stayed up for hours reading it and loved it! That is one book that has stayed with me forever.

97. Erin

November 14th, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I just handed the Book Thief over to a friend a few days ago with the caveat: "I cried so hard I almost threw up." LOVE IT!

I am editing a wedding while watching your CreativeLive videos. You are amazing!

98. Karen (Mikols) Bonar

November 15th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I could not put Hunger Games DOWN …. seriously. Love. It.

99. atpanda

November 15th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

You might as well have just gone ahead and bought the other two Hunger Games books while you were at it! You’re going to want to read them IMMEDIATELY. πŸ˜‰
    Also, if you haven’t read any Christopher Moore, I highly suggest him. He is HILARIOUS. My husband, who is an occasional reader, will read a Christopher Moore book and just laugh outloud the whole time. My favorites: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal and the Bloodsucking Fiends series.

100. Heather Corporan

November 15th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I love Gail (never met her, but LOVE her blog and awesome personality. When you said it ranks up there with A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, I knew it was a must read! That’s the BEST book! Thanks for the post, I keep starting and never finishing books. Somehow I know I’ll finish this one.

101. Jamie

November 16th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Almost at the end of HUNGER GAMES, I absoluetly love it, was so waiting for a novel to give me THE feeling again and this one brought it!

102. Calder Clark

November 16th, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Totes agree on Freedom. Yawned over it, even tho I loved The Corrections!!! Boo.

103. Lillian

November 20th, 2010 at 1:51 am

I have never cried at the end of a book like I did after finishing the Book Thief. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever cried at the end of a book EVER. That was the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

104. Dee

January 21st, 2011 at 5:06 am

I wanted to re-visit this post because I JUST finished reading the Book Thief yesterday. I bawled like a baby. Even though it was 3 am and I had to get up in less than 3 hours, staying up to finish it was SO worth it.