Kisses and Disses : Glances and Booms

Kisses and Disses : Glances and Booms

Personal

I’m pretty sure every couple does it. Or has it. Their own language. Silent and invisible to onlookers, but the spouse is very aware of its existence. Spending time with a few of our friends last week, the topic of spousal communication surfaced and I cringed. Well, because, I’m Queen of Non-Verbal Communication. No, no…EMPEROR. If you ask JD, I could pretty much give him a piece of my mind the duration of the Gettysburg Address with a single glance. I’m quite good at these glances.

JD, on the other hand, doesn’t have to give a Look. He has this strange aura–almost sonic like–that he emits when he worries I’m on the verge of saying something at a dinner party that may embarrass him, or encourage me to chew on my foot. Which happens more than I’d like to admit. The moment I’m telling a story filled with embarrassment and hilarity (because, let’s face it, me and Hilarity are second cousins, twice removed), JD will emit his sonic boom and I feel myself falling silent.

Between my looks and his sonic booms, we could be a lethal weapon. Which leads me to this week’s installment of Kisses and Disses…because, really, weapons deserve a diss all their own.

This week’s DISSES go to:
*Sonic booms. They ruin funny stories and make me the UNlife of the party.
*Security guards who tell me to stop shooting in public places. Doesn’t that contradict the idea of the word ‘public’? I’m just sayin’…
*Quarterly tax filings…need I say more?

This week’s KISSES go to:
*Glances. They’re so classy and mature. Obviously.
*Premiere Protein Shakes. These are the first palatable protein shakes I’ve encountered and the health benefits are ultra fab. I drink one before working out and I don’t feel guilty for sipping on chocolate for breakfast…score!
*FREE Websites. Ever since blogging about Showit’s FREE Websites, many blog readers have developed custom and unique websites…which is so awesome!
*Bonus kiss goes to Polo…because he’s the best dog in the world.

Happy Friday!

comments

1. amy snyder -

Working on my free showit site now…. thanks for posting that, I love it so far!

7.31.09 - 8:23 pm

2. Trey Bohon -

FINALLY!!! someone else besides me likes premiere’s shakes for breakfast… HAPPY FRIDAY 2 U!

7.31.09 - 8:26 pm

3. San Marcos UMC Youth Group -

Free websites are AWESOME!!! I created a page for our Youth Group in a couple of hours. Our churh pastor loved it and we are definitely going for the pro account soon. 🙂

7.31.09 - 8:30 pm

4. Brian Fletcher -

I am fooling around with ShowItSites, but is it just me or is it kinda confusing to create something original instead of using a template? I’ve watched the tutorials but I just get lost….maybe I need more caffeine or something…haha.

7.31.09 - 8:31 pm

5. Jasmine* -

@Brian: For me, the easiest way to understand the platform was the play around with a stylegrooup just to understand what and how things worked. Once you have an idea how things move and how you can achieve desired results, everything falls into place. If you have any questions, shoot JD an email and he’ll help you out! jd@showitfast.com 🙂

7.31.09 - 8:49 pm

6. CharBaiz -

haha. too funny!! I didn’t know anyone besides Joel knew how to give off one of those booms. He totally doesn’t even need to look at me to let me know when wants to tell me something, somehow he just emits this vibe, and I know.

7.31.09 - 8:53 pm

7. Elizabeth -

Totally cool!!! I thought I was the only one confused about settting up my new Showit Site. I got frustrated and kept telling myself to go back and work on it some more an since I am not website savy I have stayed away. I will give it another shot tonight! A million thanks

7.31.09 - 8:58 pm

8. michelle sidles -

I second your diss to the strict security guards! I haven’t run into that yet and I’m not sure what I would do in that situation. 🙁 Eek!

7.31.09 - 9:05 pm

9. daria bishop -

my husband does that to me too and you’re right…it ruins a good story. booo!
    thanks for adding some humor to my day, Jasmine!
    xox

7.31.09 - 9:11 pm

10. Katherine Bowman -

I’ve been looking for a new good protein shake! YUM!

7.31.09 - 9:26 pm

11. Pol -

Oh dear, sounds just like hubby and me! I even got him to read it and he laughed 😀

7.31.09 - 10:50 pm

12. diane (www.sagephoto.com) -

I agree…quarterly taxes are the worse! Kisses to polo from all of us and love the new site option….great week of disses and misses!

7.31.09 - 11:04 pm

13. Marissa Rodriguez -

You’re too funny! Love the sonic booms part!

8.1.09 - 12:10 am

14. Lindsi Luffman -

HUGE Kiss to free Showit! I have been wanting to start a real site, past my blog for the longest time but couldn’t afford it. Now I’m able to have my own site! (Really thanks you to J* because I wouldn’t have known about it unless you had blogged it!!)

8.1.09 - 12:15 am

15. Lydia -

Just made my first client site, and I can’t wait for them to see it! I love Showit Sites and am now a lifetime member!

8.1.09 - 12:15 am

16. Christine -

Mmmmm protein shakes. I hear ya, girlfriend!! 🙂

8.1.09 - 1:46 am

17. Vania - SimplyBloom Photography, LLC -

hahah when I read the first bullet under "KISSES" I literally laughed out loud! haha! you are awesome!

8.1.09 - 6:03 am

18. Donna Blundell -

I so dislike doing quarterly sales tax I e-filed it at 9pm last night. 3 hours before the penalty deadline kicked in.

8.1.09 - 11:43 am

19. Emma Sharkey -

You have a wicked way with a camera and a fan-tab-u-lous style of writing! I love it!

8.1.09 - 1:13 pm

20. Miz Booshay -

Jasmine,
    May I ask a potentially stupid question? Showit’s Free Websites.
    It says you may publish 5 pages.
    What does this mean?
    I can’t imagine that you only get to publish five days and then it is not free after that fives days is up?
    Oh dear. I do sound really dumb….

8.1.09 - 3:45 pm

21. DJ -

I think polo needs a free Showit site!!!

With all my fiestyness i thought for sure I’d earned the diss…someday I will!!! ;P

love you!!!

8.1.09 - 6:09 pm

22. melissa pearce -

random question: where do I find out more about how I should be filing taxes as a sole prop without contacting a lawyer? Or the most confusing website ever (irs.gov)?

8.1.09 - 7:28 pm

23. Olive Rue -

Jasmine, I love your kiss and diss segment. I’m sending you a private e-mail. Would love to feature you on my blog.

8.1.09 - 8:12 pm

24. Dave Ross Photography -

On the kisses side . . I’ve talked the praises of ShowIt’s free sites to so many people lately I’m beginning to feel like I work for them!

8.1.09 - 10:55 pm

25. Brian Fletcher -

Thanks for the response, Jasmine! I’ll keep messing around with it. I really would like to go with something custom, so I’ll force myself to learn ShowIt! BTW, you walked by me about 20 times the other night at the Smug meeting but I was too shy to say hello. Maybe next time 🙂

8.2.09 - 6:45 am

26. Rory Mole -

Hey there Jasmine, Man oh man, if I knew how to get into the zone of the sonic boom, I’d have been spared so much over the years. Please get JD to blog a whole article on how to do this… he obviously has developed this over many years….
    Blessings,
    Rory

8.2.09 - 8:09 am

27. Life with Kaishon -

I just laughed out loud about your super mature glances : ) as a Kiss : ) Very cool!

8.2.09 - 5:53 pm

28. Katy Craig -

Behold my beating heart! Protein shakes that don’t taste disgusting??? I wanna know more about these! I have tried all sorts of stuff out there in the pursuit of muscles and everything has tasted terrible.

8.3.09 - 4:13 am

29. Amanda -

haha gotta love those glances!

8.3.09 - 5:34 am

30. Ottawa Wedding Photographer -

Never had trouble with police/security when shooting in public places up here in Canada, but heard it can be a problem in the US – way to go for Polo though!

8.3.09 - 8:02 am

31. Jonathan Brown -

I agree with the quarterly taxes diss. Such a pain in the a**.

8.3.09 - 12:43 pm

32. Mapuana -

Chocolate for breakfast….oh yummy. I gotta try those protein shakes.

8.3.09 - 5:42 pm

33. Stephanie Stewart -

I second your Diss about shooting in public places!!!

8.3.09 - 5:55 pm

34. Christina Gressianu -

Try shooting in NYC. Something like you need a permit to shoot if you have a tripod or more than 3 people. It’s ridiculous.

8.3.09 - 6:56 pm

35. cassandra m -

kisses to Polo first of course…then to DJ. :)))) My showit is coming soon.

8.4.09 - 8:11 am

36. ohana photographers -

on the "public" places, sing it sistah!

8.8.09 - 4:34 am

37. Jo Carr -

I’m loving the free SHOWIT site! I’m no expert (and mine’s pretty basic at this stage) but I would suggest starting with a template and then changing it. You can pretty much change everything about it but it’s a good starting point to see how things work. Pick one that’s similar to the look you want then check out the settings and change things one by one until you get it how you want. I used a template and as I was changing things thought to myself – I’m glad I didn’t have to start from scratch as I would have been totally lost. To the person asking about the 5 pages – it means that you can have 5 pages on your site. For example, I’ve got a home page, contact page, portrait, wedding & children. You can create as many pages as you want but when you go to publish your site it will get you to pick 5 pages or upgrade to a site that you have to pay for so it’s best to just create 5 pages from the start.

8.8.09 - 9:52 pm

38. Mandie Mae -

Does anyone know how long this will last? Is it just a one-time promo. or if I wait will it still be available??

8.11.09 - 8:04 pm