Kisses+Disses : Perfectly Zen + Flossing

Kisses+Disses : Perfectly Zen + Flossing

I nervously walked into the yoga studio and signed up for my First Class is Free class. A few days earlier JD came home with an information packet and said I needed to try it. Your back will thank you, he said as he unloaded groceries from the trunk.

Deciding to take my yoga practice to the next level (and by ‘next’ I mean, like, begin), I walked into the new studio and signed up. The girl with the perfectly zen face told me the room reached 105-degrees, so I should drink plenty of water. Wait, whaaaat?! I called JD in a panic and accused him of sending me to the sixth ring of hell, otherwise known as hot yoga. I can’t leave, I muttered into my cell phone and admitted my pride was on the line. Perfectly Zen Face handed me a complimentary bottle of water…HOW COULD I LEAVE NOW?!

I won’t go into details, but what I will say was I felt like it was an aqua aerobics class because I was drowning. In sweat. The Pacific, the Atlantic, and me.

Unwilling to reveal I was new to class, I coiled, twisted, and stretched undeterred by the heat (I, apparently, aspired to be the valedictorian of Downward Facing Dog pose), but couldn’t walk out of class when we finished. I slumped in a corner, while everyone else walked out with their inner light shining, and hoped my legs would regain their composure.

Looking much like a baby giraffe, I tried to quietly sneak out of the studio when PZF called out to me. The studio was offering a complimentary week for new students, she said, and then smiled when she said she’d see me tomorrow. Internet, THIS IS ALL JD’S FAULT.

Which leads me to another installment of Kisses and Disses…

This week’s DISSES go to:
*My back. For not thanking me like JD said it would.
*The cooking class I keep on forgetting to attend.
*Missing Scrabble pieces…it’s hard breaking world records without the ‘Qu’ tile.

This weeks’ KISSES go to:
*Plackers. I’m obsessed with flossing, so this little device makes me so happy I almost dance in dental care excitement.
*Solia Hair Dryer. To call this a blow dryer would be an understatement…it’s a piece of iconic magic that dries my hair straight in half the time.
*Don Draper. He’s made a turnaround this season on Mad Men and just when I thought I couldn’t like him any more, I do. (In other news, I’m thrilled Peggy gave her notice…and then Don kissed her hand??!?!? Augh. My heart fluttered. Seriously. NOW I NEED DON TO POUR ME A GLASS.)

Happy Friday!

1. anda

June 1st, 2012 at 2:57 pm

haha, awwww, jasmine. i love your stories. i’m only a few hours shy of being certified to teach hot yoga. and it should comfort you to know that people practicing for years will pass out sometimes. i still sometimes do … if i’m too stressed or thinking about the girl next to me who looks better in the mirror etc. it’s usually from being dehydrated though. i have resorted to bringing gatorade to some classes when i just can feel i’ll be passing-out (i also have low blood sugar and need to eat candy bars before going running haha). not sure if pumping your body full of HFCS is the best thing WHILE working out. but it’s less embarrassing than having to lie in corpse pose the rest of class. and i just tell myself that i’m a completely clean eater outside of class. this is a novel now, and i hope you continue yoga. i cannot imagine life without it.

2. Life with Kaishon

June 1st, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I bet you were the best student in the class.

3. Brianna

June 1st, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I might have to get that hair dryer. My curly hair is in needs to meet it’s maker…

4. Alyssa

June 1st, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Love that you talked about mad men.. My new Netflix addiction.

5. Zuli Majeed

June 1st, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Jasmine, you are so so funny!! This last episode of Mad Men was the best this entire season and you took the words right out of my vocabulary. I secretly beamed myself into Peggy’s place for the scene in his office!

6. lmend

June 1st, 2012 at 4:29 pm

yay to you for your courage! i love yoga, but the hot stuff is just not for me. the rolling sweat balls always remind me of rosanne rosanadana! πŸ˜‰ if, after this week, you find the same is true for you, please try out a class in a non-hot room. namaste!

7. Natalie Tuggle

June 1st, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Haha! Give it that free week, Hot yoga is the best yoga!

8. Gabriel Pinto

June 1st, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Isn’t yoga all about sitting with your legs crossed and humming?

hmmm, nah, I rather keep jogging.
    Best of luck Jasmine !

9. Gail

June 1st, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Oh that hair dryer! It SO is the bomb! Glad I got to use it first hand!

And that scene with Don? Made me WEAK in the knees. Perfect bookend to his wooing of Peggy in Season 3 with one of my favorite Don lines: "I will spend the rest of my life trying to hire you."

And a great lesson that when you take advantage of your talent, they’ll keep their eye out for the next opportunity.

10. Cat

June 1st, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love your Kisses & Disses – look forward to them and your Friday randomness most of all! Plus I also L.O.V.E my Plackers (rather too much maybe)!! Thank you for all your posts, you inspire me daily to be a better photographer & beleive me I need all the help I can get Lol :o)

11. ali w

June 1st, 2012 at 5:14 pm

whenever you talk about your gym experiences, and the silly things that happen to you [ie, the spinning shoes], it actually makes ME want to work out. thanks for sharing!

12. Malorie

June 1st, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Its not called yoga its called get the I comfort bed for your back takes 2 weeks to get used too but believe me your back will thank you for it!

13. Bart Kuipers

June 1st, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Wow, you just made my day, can’t stop laughing about the mental image of a baby giraffe doing yoga!
    Cooking is art as well btw, fun to do!

14. Neha

June 1st, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thank you for the hair dryer recommendation! I was in need of one and decided it was time to FINALLY splurge on a good one! Your review came just in time…I ordered one! YEA!

15. Sydni Jackson

June 1st, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I did yoga when I lived in Venezuela – for some dumb reason we decided it would be a fun activity to do while our electricity was off, so it was about 100 degrees outside and we had no AC. I sweat more than I have doing any activity ever.

16. sarah danaher

June 1st, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I started doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga. like, DUDE-HOT yoga) every Monday after I shoot a wedding. I hated it at first… but I’m now head-over-heals in love. Can’t get enough of it!!!! stretching, massaging, strengthening, and detoxing all in one 90 minute class. (I’m horrible at it, but I’m in love, so… who cares? haha)

17. Monika Greenaway

June 2nd, 2012 at 12:17 am

haha nice! I have done yoga many times but never hot yoga! Wowza.

18. Heidi Huber

June 2nd, 2012 at 12:58 am

From periodically reading your posts Jasmine, I could’ve guessed your experience with hot yoga or Bikram. I began Bikram a year ago when I felt like challenging myself for kicks and giggles. I hated the instruction and not being able to do some of the moves, but the more I do it, the more at peace I become and the more layers of the onion are peeled off and released. Nothing like letting go of crap that’s holding you back. Congratulations on making through your first class, and hopefully you’ll discover a whole new love for killing yourself in 105ΒΊ heat with 40-50% humidity.

19. Sarah Layne

June 2nd, 2012 at 3:30 am

Try a non-heated or moderately heated class. I teach yoga, have been practicing for 10+ years, and I would still rather die than go to a heated class. (Ok that’s a little over-dramatic.) I also think the risk out weigh the benefits, especially if you are having back issues. You could easily over stretch your back in that heat. A room warmed up to about 75-80 degrees is perfect for loosening up the muscles. Try another class/studio!

20. Joachim

June 2nd, 2012 at 10:11 am

Nothing beats Mad Men…!

21. Casey Hendrickson

June 2nd, 2012 at 1:31 pm

AH SAME thing happened to me- my best friend asked me to join her in yoga, so I finally did. Five minutes before class started, we finally entered the room and I about died right there. I stayed in "child’s pose" for most of it to keep from passing out lol.

22. Claudia : Fabuluxe Photos

June 2nd, 2012 at 10:09 pm

so? did you go back to Yoga?

23. Stina

June 3rd, 2012 at 1:17 am

Anything less than hot yoga is for wimps πŸ˜‰ Your body and your skin will thank you for it… eventually. That post sauna feeling is so yummy in the meantime.

24. Julie O'Dell

June 3rd, 2012 at 1:23 am

I am in heartbgreement on Donald Draper. Can you believe this season only has two more shows

25. Melissa Avey

June 3rd, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Yoga is truly amazing πŸ™‚

26. Alexis

June 3rd, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Yoga as the "sixth ring of hell"?!

I like yoga! I just don’t practice it religiously. lol You’re funny, J*! πŸ™‚ At least you got in a good workout.

27. Ginny

June 4th, 2012 at 11:51 am

Hi Jasmine!! Sorry to hear about your back. I have a bad back too. DANSKO’s have saved my life. You must try. They’re not the cutest shoe in the world, but they have saved me during hours at a wedding. πŸ™‚

28. m*

June 4th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Jas your hair is already straight… when you find an ionic hocus pocus that can tame a lion’s mane lemme know. Umkay?

29. Ashley Perez

June 4th, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Totally love yoga and I’ve been doing it for years. Helps so much when your body takes a beating from photography. Hot yoga on the other hand…never tried it and never will!

30. Ashley Goodwin

June 7th, 2012 at 7:09 am

That’s my FAVORITE! It feels amaaazinngggggg afterwards! And I am getting serious about my practice again too because of my back (and my neck, and all the other aches and pains!).

KEEP UP THE HOT YOGA you will learn to love it. And buy yourself a yogitoes towel. That’s necessary.

31. AnneMarie

June 10th, 2012 at 7:03 am

You should try Triad Yoga in Irvine/Newport Beach. The owners are beautiful! And their classes are awesome. I have never been to a better yoga studio!!!

32. Mary Margaret

June 21st, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Why haven’t I learned not to be drinking something when I read your blog? I’ve lived hot yoga hell like you and this made me love reading your blog even more. And now I need to go buy that hair dryer.