Using, and Leveraging, Social Media

Social media is this crazy thing. So many people talk about it and “experts” sprout every three seconds, but I–honestly–don’t think there’s a right way to use it. I will, however, say there are generally stronger ways of leveraging it for your business. Sure, you might disagree with me, but I’ve gathered my ideas on the subject and if you think they’re awful…that’s totally fine with me. It’ll push you to further define how you want to use social media in a way that works for you.

Here are a few quick tips in approaching and using social media for your business…
Make sure and draw attention to ideas, desires, and/or needs more than drawing attention to oneself. Once you draw attention, it’s best to enable people to do something with it. Basically, you want to use, say, Twitter to share and then enable. For example, an update that reads
“I got published in Inside Weddings Magazine!”
isn’t as strong as, perhaps,
“Excited for @Groom and @Bride to be published in @InsideWedding. To read more about it, visit:”
What you did with the latter update is enable three specific people to share your online voice…and extend your brand. Whether they will in fact do so isn’t guaranteed, but it’s still a potentially powerful outlet.
Try to draw attention to people and things that are social. Ideally, you want people to easily access information that aligns with their interests…this is awesome for photographers because photos are innately social. People talk about what they see…and we are the curators of this! By raising awareness to things people are interested in (oh, say, their WEDDING!), you are raising awareness to your brand. By making them aware of their photos in an online capacity, clients are likely to discuss your work online, most likely on Facebook. This is amazing.
Affinity is attracting to, liking something. You can create affinity with people by enabling them to interact, support, and communicate relevant information that is important to a person’s life. Again, this is powerfully done with photographs…and leveraging Facebook’s tagging and commenting features allows you to create affinity to your brand for the value created by the experience you enable.
By creating Attention, Awareness, and Affinity, you build an Audience who relates to your actions and intents created on behalf of the audience. In the easiest terms, this means people trust you. Because of doing steps 1-3, you’ve earned their trust…and I firmly believe trust is the currency on the web. When people trust you, they listen, endorse, and support your brand in unfathomable ways.

Let me ask you an honest question: what are your clients saying about you? Furthermore, have you created a conversation, a way for them to talk about you? That’s the key. When I first started, I didn’t leverage social media, so I only touched the bride’s inner circle (via personal referrals and slideshows), but social media has granted me access to their periphery in an online capacity.

Now, using–and loving–social media has allowed me to create ideas and conversations and empowered my clients to be the voice of my brand. We, as artists, are in the position to create ideas people are excited to talk about, so we have to make sure we’re doing that.

Happy Friday!

1. Rachel Tatem

October 21st, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! I love to hear opinions on the matter, I get confused on what to do when it comes to social media

2. colleen

October 21st, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Jasmine….you are the ‘perfect storm’!… are excellent with relationships (online and off), you have tremendous business sense, and you are a fabulous photographer. Thanks so much for helping us understand how we, too, can become more successful.

3. Simon Young

October 21st, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I’ve recently been giving clients Facebook optimised images with free usage and a request that they mention me when they post them. It works some of the time and you never know who sees your work, so for a very small effort I believe its worth it. All best Si

4. sherri lynn

October 21st, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Great tips, Jasmine! Have a wonderful weekend!

5. Laura Kelly Photography

October 21st, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I think this is wonderful, social media is SERIOUSLY such a great way to meet people and build a company from the ground up. You’re a great inspiration on this topic for sure!

6. Michelle Feeney

October 21st, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Great insight and perspective on social media Jasmine. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

7. Ivan Packer

October 21st, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Such great advice Jasmine, thank you.

People, take note. Ivan x

8. Carrie Callahan

October 21st, 2011 at 4:28 pm

You are fabulous! You make things seem so effortless and simple – a true talent – thank you for your constant inspiration and knowledge – it’s greatly appreciated!

9. Steffen Harris

October 21st, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Great advice Jasmine. Unfortunately I haven’t been as strong on my social media as you described. Time to go through a refresher course with my boss (that’s me!) on social media. 🙂

10. Tyler Austin

October 21st, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I feel lucky to have grown up with the emergence of facebook, twitter, and all the other social media outlets and networks. Since we’re already on facebook and already tweeting, it has definitely been easier to just "incorporate it" rather then somebody who didn’t use them before who say they have to "make time for it" I see the biggest plus as the free marketing part. For a business that is primarily word of mouth. I really enjoy telling people that call me asking to buy advertising space with them that our current "social media" marketing plan is working just fine 🙂 BooM!

11. Jamie

October 21st, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Jasmine… This post about how far reaching social media is, is perfect timing! My sis-in-law and I are both photographers here in Oregon–who have followed you and soaked up your genius for years (thank you!!), and we just returned from a girls’ mini-vacation to SoCal… While eating in Little Italy, my sis-in-law leaned over to me and said, "Isn’t that Jasmine Star’s friend Brianna sitting over there?" It was. ;0) I totally interrupted Brianna’s dinner and introduced ourselves, and she said something about how it was awesome that your blog has made her famous, too. (And Brianna: You’re even more beautiful in person than in photos… not sure how that’s possible!?) Thanks for the fun connection, J*!

12. Anna Kim Photography

October 21st, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Well said, Jasmine!

13. Jason+Gina

October 21st, 2011 at 5:03 pm

We wouldn’t be in business without social media. Such an important part of our business!

14. Isaac Stott

October 21st, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Awesome, awesome post Jasmine! Thanks for always sharing and striving to see others succeed!

15. michelle

October 21st, 2011 at 5:09 pm

love this post J* 🙂 thank you for always being willing to share, enable and empower us to push our love to a new level!!

16. Ashley B

October 21st, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Great tips, thanks!

17. Janet

October 21st, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Great article! Thanks for sharing your thoughts (and fab pix)!!

18. Amy Jo

October 21st, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Thank you for this post! I feel like I have the right tools but am just not getting through the way I want too. This gives me somethings to think about so I can get over being a social media dud.

19. elizabeth

October 21st, 2011 at 7:48 pm

This is perfect timing, because as of next week my website/blog will be live. I’m not a photographer, but always enjoy looking at your work and your savvy business tips. Thanks so much! Now…..back to figuring out what to talk about on my very first blog post. Pressure!

20. Kristin Nicole

October 21st, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Great tips as always, a good reminder to not get lazy on social media.

21. emily ebeling

October 21st, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I accidentally started using Facebook for business, since I primarily went on FB to share my life with my family when I was pregnant with my son 3 summers ago. That also happened to be the time when my photo business blossomed. People started asking me to share my info and examples of photos on facebook, since it was a really easy way for THEM to share the photos with THEIR family and friends on facebook. Anyway, like you said, this reached a greater periphery of people, and the referrals keep flowing in. Now I post my link to my page after a shoot, ALWAYS with a thank-you the couple/family for their time with me, and make it as positive and experience for everyone involved. Thanks for your tips, Jasmine! ~Em

22. Shay

October 21st, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Thank you, Jasmine. At the May workshop you went over ground rules for what you feel is appropriate to share on your website, facebook and twitter. I always keep your words in mind when posting on my own social media. Thanks for the tips!

23. Jim

October 21st, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Thanks. Stuff you already know, but organized to put to action. Again thanks

24. Meredith

October 22nd, 2011 at 12:07 am

Thanks, Jasmine! this was absolutely wonderful! you give such great business advice. xo, graditude!

25. Schaffer Photography

October 23rd, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Social media is a wonderful thing! Thank you for the advice 🙂

26. Mikkel

October 23rd, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for the great post! I love the social media posts because it’s such an integral part of our world today.

27. Stephanie Rose

October 23rd, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Amazing tips and advice like always! 😀

28. Martin Hambleton

October 24th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Very wise words. And of course, you talk the talk as much as you walk the walk. Thanks for sharing it.

29. Yuba City Photographers

October 25th, 2011 at 1:19 am

I must admit I’m still trying to figure it out: Facebook twitter, youtube, google +1 – there’s an overwhelming variety of networks, and one person cannot master them all. Thanks for the tips Jasmine.

30. Melbourne Event Photography

October 25th, 2011 at 5:08 am

Great advice Jasmine

31. Tara

October 28th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Great advice! I couldn’t agree more with you!

32. Koi

July 22nd, 2016 at 11:21 am

Love your perspective, thank you XOX